Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/2023-spurs...ers-grades-14/

A win one of these days would be nice, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop says he's "totally satisfied with the game". He "saw a lot of good things and the execution and compe iveness were good". Somebody take his medicine

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have looked bad. Growing pains. Still excited to watch games regardless

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby needs to play tougher and stop being afraid of contact... It's clear he doesn't have bblass IQ, so I think the horrendous shots he takes are a result of:
    1. Highlight culture
    2. Being afraid of contact (main reason tbh)
    3. Frustration

Dude seems afraid to dribble the ball and drive and seems afraid to bang against smalls in the post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was Wembys worst game to date tbh ... no effort on either side of the court. he is taking mostly bad shots anywhere on the court because he has abandoned dribbling the basketball to limit turnovers ... no wonder he is getting ignored more and more

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely unwatchable basketball. Sad to see the team regressing in all phases. Early on they could put up points and dominate with their effort and energy, even if it was just for a quarter. Now they can't do anything right. Standing around in the corner or getting mauled in the paint while nobody passes to him seems to be weighing on Victor. The team stinks at everything, the coaches have no plan and there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Time to send Victor to Austin to get his joy for the game back. Only half joking about that. The staff has fumbled away this young team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After missing Wemby on literally dozens of lobs and open paint throw ins before tonight, I dont blame his lack of effort tbh. Hes ing 19. Hes hyped as the next Lebron. Pop barely even runs plays for him.

If were going to go 3-79 and lose him after his rookie contract to LA, can we do a lot more 4 down (or 4 up or whatever Vic is comfortable with) please??? Thanks in advance, asshole Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think clippers are a bad matchup for us, they can just score against us without playing well. I think the team is learning well though.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting outcoached by Ty Lue is a fireable offense, and damn it there’s no one that does that better than Poop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After missing Wemby on literally dozens of lobs and open paint throw ins before tonight, I dont blame his lack of effort tbh. Hes ing 19. Hes hyped as the next Lebron. Pop barely even runs plays for him.

If we’re going to go 3-79 and lose him after his rookie contract to LA, can we do a lot more 4 down (or 4 up or whatever Vic is comfortable with) please??? Thanks in advance, asshole Pop
    Part of the problem is he doesn’t “want” to play in the post. He only likes paint points if it’s a lob or free dunk. The other part is pop not coaching him and just letting him pull up for 15+ foot jumpers as his only form of shot creation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is abysmal right now. The excitement of having the #1 pick is quickly being drowned out by the clear lack of any gameplan or strategy thus far. Not even looking forward to watching games rn. Tough days ahead for Spurs fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All in all, this roster lacks, simply put, talents. Wemby ceiling is off the charts but he is obviously a work in progress. I thought his sole presence would improve drastically the Defense but this is not the case, his length, shot blocking etc... don't translate so far. On offense we are ing but we are scoring enough to win games, our defense is putrid.

Vassell is a nice role player, Sochan is struggling (we know the story), Collins is a role player, Keldon is meh etc etc... Truth is, outside Wemby, none would be ular in any decent NBA team.

With the Wemby experiment we are even worst than last year. It is what it is.

We have a future potential franchise player and decent role players with one or two with the potential to be good enough starters... Spurs FO and coaches have a lot of work in front of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to complement what I was saying, this roster, built as it is, is perfect to tank... that's what Spurs are doing. Now this is ok but we should avoid being humiliated in the process by losing multiple 40 pts game... Losing this bad ing sucks.

It's a thin line, you want to tank but don't want to be historically bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're relying on a 19 y/0 surrounded by a bunch of role players its gonna be ugly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop says he's "totally satisfied with the game". He "saw a lot of good things and the execution and compe iveness were good". Somebody take his medicine
    Hey let's not be too harsh. As Timvp's review points out in the first line, thanks to this incredible coach, your Spurs slimmed their previous defeat to LA by a whopping 15 points. That's almost a 38% improvement and in only a couple weeks time. A multi multi-year extension is warranted... to suggest otherwise is balderdash

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, the Ws and Ls don't matter in general but agree that a W is needed or they risk losing these young guys for the rest of the season.

But man, it's the small coaching stuff that is really indicative of a major problem:
    -Guys like Graham and Manu give solid minutes for a a game or two and are banished to the bench the next. When you're on a 9 game losing streak, nobody's minutes should be locked in even if you're stubbornly not moving away from the SL
    -Victor was soft as tonight and super passive but you have to run a play or two for the kid just to see how he responds.
    -The rotations are so set in stone that it feels like a guy has a nice little stretch and is immediately subbed out.

It's a young team so they're going to take their lumps. And the talent isn't there to be a play-in squad.

But it would just be extremely frustrating if I were a player on this team as they're not being put in positions to succeed. Frankly, they're being coddled and enabled and I don't think it's what they need.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    How many games a season is Victor accustomed to, meaning where is the rookie wall for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To me, this reeks of a guy that needs to be careful what he says in the media because he knows he's in very real danger of losing the locker room completely.

Obviously, no sane person would be happy with what they saw last night. But this is actually a pretty interesting response if you're in the get rid of the old man crowd like we are. There's been some cracks in his armor recently, subtle but they're there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is abysmal right now. The excitement of having the #1 pick is quickly being drowned out by the clear lack of any gameplan or strategy thus far. Not even looking forward to watching games rn. Tough days ahead for Spurs fan
    Same. I've made a point to watch every game (either live or on replay), but last night was the first time I just turned it off at half and switched to football because you could already see the car heading for the cliff.

Props to timvp for not only taking the time to watch all of these games but also put together a write-up on it. It's borderline masochism at this point.

I'm only watching to see Wemby's progress because Vassell is hurt and everyone else is disappointing, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad to see the regression since the season began. Maybe they are doing some film-watching and it'll help.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im enjoying watching this unfold as painful as it may be...

one thing I do notice is that

Spurs fans suck balls.

I have never read such depressing drama queen cliff jumping negative nancy pussy ass fandom as the written in these pages to start this season.

Just pathetic fans - if I was a player or a coach or mgmt of this team - I would seriously consider moving the team from these hole fans,

No, im not defending Pop and there are some players who are not ready for primetime and things could be better I know

but jeezus ing christ - wouldn't it be nice to see some real fans rooting for their team and understanding that this is all a process?

I dont think I have missed more than 5 spurs games total since they moved from Dallas in the early 70's and all I could do at the time was listen to the games on WOAI am radio...

thru good and bad seasons and pining for a le one day...until it actually happened in 99..to the teams to the glory days...

I have my criticisms of players and coaches - but this i am reading is really just making me think the Spurs should move somewhere - where the fans actually want to be fans of the team and support them.

I guess this is what happens when 5 les have been won in the past. En lement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting outcoached by Ty Lue is a fireable offense, and damn it there’s no one that does that better than Poop
    do you follow the NBA only through memes on Twitter?
    Lue is a good coach
    ignorant people like you belittled Spoelstra when LeBron was in Miami
    Last edited by Vince Carter's ankle; 11-21-2023 at 11:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, timvp!

This team needs a leader and/or playmaker. That player is not on this team. I'm not certain Pop would let someone run the offense if we had that player. The play calling, and lack thereof is a head-scratcher sometimes.

A Josh Giddy type of player would be great. By getting the team more involved offensively, they will play better defense. A 6'8" point guard can also pass over the defense to get Wemby some easy buckets. Such rare birds, but, that would be ideal.

Another thing that is starting to concern me, and I'm not sure I can articulate it exactly is Pop's age vs the team's age. Old coach and young team feels kind of off sometimes. I see defeated body language, confusion and frustration far too often. Maybe I am wrong, and these young players need to be molded with slow, patterned fundamentals and discipline. On the other hand, a younger, more fiery coach that could grow with the team sounds like a better template to me. Pop the teacher is probably good to great. Pop the coach, not so sure. Perhaps, Pop's winning reputation is a major plus to Wemby, at least on paper. All the media attention is going to draw a LOT of heat on Pop as this style of play continues.

Hopefully, I get to SA on Wednesday to see the Clippers pt. 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im enjoying watching this unfold as painful as it may be...

one thing I do notice is that

Spurs fans suck balls.

I have never read such depressing drama queen cliff jumping negative nancy pussy ass fandom as the written in these pages to start this season.

Just pathetic fans - if I was a player or a coach or mgmt of this team - I would seriously consider moving the team from these hole fans,

No, im not defending Pop and there are some players who are not ready for primetime and things could be better I know

but jeezus ing christ - wouldn't it be nice to see some real fans rooting for their team and understanding that this is all a process?

I dont think I have missed more than 5 spurs games total since they moved from Dallas in the early 70's and all I could do at the time was listen to the games on WOAI am radio...

thru good and bad seasons and pining for a le one day...until it actually happened in 99..to the teams to the glory days...

I have my criticisms of players and coaches - but this i am reading is really just making me think the Spurs should move somewhere - where the fans actually want to be fans of the team and support them.

I guess this is what happens when 5 les have been won in the past. En lement.
    Typical sniffer post with all the sniffer cliches

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team needs some sort of shot in the arm. This group is about as listless as they come.

Looking at last year, the Spurs at least had some veterans who could lift up these young guys when they were slumping. Josh Richardson did a lot of leading in his time here. This young group needs some of that sort of veteran presence.

I think the rebuild, be it 3 years, or whatever, will still need to result in a compe ive team out there on the floor. Last year's group didn't have these sort of games until the tank was in full force. We've had several of these fiascos in the first 15 games of the season.

Thread Information