Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The downside to giving Hanga a deal is that a) it's a roster slot gone and b) Is he good enough to get time and develop with the Spurs (or the Toros), vs. playing in Spain (>> D League, < NBA).
    In a vacuum, sure. But having him on the Toros could be better if the Spurs think he's not getting the proper development overseas. They can guarantee him minutes in Austin, and he'd be able to work with the Spurs' coaches, which he doesn't get to do as consistently now.

It's the same thing with Ryan Richards. If they don't look to be developing in Europe, sign them to a long-term, non-guaranteed deal and see what they've got when they can't use coaching as an excuse. That might seem like a waste of a roster spot, but to be honest, it's not any different than what's going on with Joseph right now. If the Spurs think that he's developed well, they might be more inclined to try that with other players.

Hanga (and Richards) is getting kind of old. If there's any hope of him developing into an NBA player, the Spurs should try to bring him over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the cap, there are too many different scenarios, I agree with you. The case I used (re-signing Manu and Tiago, then using the remaining cap) is the most probable move, that's why I used it.

I understand that your scenario could happen ( no to Smith at 14m/year btw), even though we can all agree that it's less likely to happen.
    Of course, it really depends on a lot of factors. If the Spurs use Bonner's contract to get another player during the draft (which is harder to do now that Blair didn't get moved), then it's very possible that the Spurs end up with less than $5 Million in cap space after re-signing Ginobili and Splitter. I don't think the Spurs will go under the cap unless they have a deal in place with a free-agent. There's just no upside to doing it at the start of free agency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awful thought of the day. Are the Spurs allowed to pay Bonner's buyout ($1 Million) and then resign him to a cheaper contract ($6 Million/3 years?) ?
    Yes, I want him gone, either traded or bought out, but is this a legal option for the Spurs? Cause it sure seems a Spurs-y move. Someone in the FO clearly likes the guy...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awful thought of the day. Are the Spurs allowed to pay Bonner's buyout ($1 Million) and then resign him to a cheaper contract ($6 Million/3 years?) ?
    Yes, I want him gone, either traded or bought out, but is this a legal option for the Spurs? Cause it sure seems a Spurs-y move. Someone in the FO clearly likes the guy...
    Should be legal. Teams waive players and re-sign them all the time. The Spurs did it with Green a couple of years back.

They'd need cap space or part of their MLE to give him that type of deal, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best to do with Bonner would be to use the amnesty on him and create more cap space.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with pretty much everything Chinook and elemento said about Johnson, other than the former saying Johnson "would be a steal at the room exception". His stock has fallen so far, it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't even get a guaranteed contract, but if he does, it'll probably be at the minimum. On a two year deal, whether fully guaranteed or not, he makes a lot of sense. With the way Leonard is coming along, all they really need is about 15 mpg anyway.

Even if they signed him, I believe D. Wright should be the primary focus. Long, athletic, good three-point shooter, good rebounder (for an SF, of course) and still young. He makes a lot of sense as a backup to Leonard and as a small ball PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Cleveland Cavaliers have waived forward Josh Selby, Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts. The Cavaliers roster now stands at 14.

Selby played in 11 games for the Canton Charge this season, averaging 15.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 32.9 minutes per games. He also appeared in 10 games for the Memphis Grizzlies this year, averaging 2.0 points in 5.9 minutes per game. Selby was acquired by the Cavs from the Grizzlies via a trade on January 22nd, 2013.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/release...e-selby-130303

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forward Josh Selby ?

He is a guard. Considering what Cleveland has right now at the 1-2 positions, I thought they would keep him. He is talented. I remember when he was the number 1 high school player of the Nation.

Some team will gamble on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt think a team like the Cavs would waive him.
    Last edited by td4mvp2k; 03-06-2013 at 01:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Atlanta Hawks have waived forward/center Jeremy Tyler, Hawks President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Danny Ferry announced Wednesday.

Acquired from the Golden State Warriors on Feb. 21, Tyler appeared in one game for the Hawks (March 4 at Denver), grabbing three rebounds in five minutes of action.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/#/story/new...e-jeremy-tyler

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember some of my Spurs fellows wanted Tyler back in the draft.

He had some character/maturity issues back then and I don't doubt he still has it. He will have to prove his value in the D-league, otherwise, he goes back to minor leagues Europe/Asia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyler Honeycutt was waived by the Rockets btw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont know if Honeycutt is more then some of the players Spurs have with Toros but Tyler would be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Los Angeles Clippers today waived forward Trey Thompkins. The 37th overall selection of the 2011 NBA Draft by the Clippers out of Georgia, Thompkins averaged 2.4 points and 1.0 rebounds in 24 games during his rookie season. He did not appear in a game this season due to a left knee bone bruise.

"We want to thank Trey for his contribution to the Clippers,” Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro said. “Unfortunately, he was never able to truly showcase his talents this season due to injuries. We wish him all the best and believe he has a bright future."

The Clippers roster currently stands at 14.

nba.com

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A review of the roster structure in 2014

Assuming No trades, the following people are guaranteed

C: TD, Baynes
    PF:
    SF: Kawhi
    SG: Green, Nando
    PG: TP, Cojo

People who have options that they can choose to stay on the roster
    C:
    PF: Diaw
    SF:
    SG:
    PG: Mills

People who the FO has options to get rid of, and who will likely be gotten rid of...
    C:
    PF: Bonner
    SF:
    SG:
    PG:

FA's that I am confident we will try to resign

C:
    PF: Splitter
    SF:
    SG: Manu
    PG:

Assuming a 15 man roster and 3 slots per per position gives us this:

C: Duncan, Baynes , ______
    PF: Splitter, Diaw , ______
    SF: Kawhi , ______, ______
    SG: Green , Manu
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nando
    PG: TP, Cojo , Mills

Black and bold are confirmed, blue are I am confident we will retain, somehow, orange is quite iffy - I can see both the team and the player having reasons to move on. (IMO).

Note that without Mills leaving, we have 6 at PG & SG already - which is another reason (besides his D, and my su ion that he will get a good FA offer from someone else) that Gary Neal is going to leave.

If Mills leaves, this leaves us with one spot to fill at PG/SG, two at SF, and two big men - one C and one PF. This spread of available slots does mean that we can draft BPA, without worrying about positional space or finding the player a spot in Europe...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The starting 5 are set for next year. Think the needs in FA/draft are backup SF and backup PF. Depending on what Manu does at some point Spurs will need to address the SG position but so long as he resigns its not a priority. Cojo has convinced me he can play backup pg.

For this offseason: Id be happy with signing Big Al, someone like Dorrel Wright to replace SJax, and drafting a project big at #29. Spurs say bye to Neal, Blair, SJax, and amnesty Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to predict anything not knowing how much Manu and Tiago get in the off-season.

I'd say I would be pretty happy with a backup SF (so many options this off-season), a decent VET big (someone like Landry or Brand) and young prospect BIG with the 1st round pick.

Blair and Bonner have to go. Their time in SA is over.

Not sure about Neal. I like him for cheap but SA has so much depth at the 1/2 positions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well we know Tiago is going to get paid, to bad all you haters out there but teams will pay him if we don't.

Manu I am pretty sure signs a friendly deal since I don't see him moving his wife and young kids to a new city.

CoJo - Who ever is training him needs a huge bonus cause he is a totally different player this year (Gotta give CoJo Props for his work ethic) - He can and will probably take Neal's place on the team.

SJAX- I just think we can get better by this draft or through free agency his body is showing wear and tear not close to the player he was.
    Blair- Gone

C: Splitter//Baynes
    PF: Duncan/Diaw/Bonner
    SF: Kawhi/Omri/Hanga
    SG: Manu/Greene/Hanga
    PG: Tony, CoJo/De Colo

Will be very interesting to see what positions the Spurs get during the draft this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think SA is going to be able to get JAX, Manu and Diaw for dirt cheap, Jack has been playing terrible all season long, teams also view him as a troublemaker. I'm hoping other teams will view Diaw as a product of SA's system, scaring them away from giving him more than he's worth or even making an offer. Manu said money doesn't matter and he hasn't really been playing well either thus driving down his price.

The Spurs may have found their backup PG with Cojo as well, just great news for the Spurs. If this is the case all they really need to do is focus their attention on a PF after they resign Splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think SA is going to be able to get JAX, Manu and Diaw for dirt cheap, Jack has been playing terrible all season long, teams also view him as a troublemaker. I'm hoping other teams will view Diaw as a product of SA's system, scaring them away from giving him more than he's worth or even making an offer. Manu said money doesn't matter and he hasn't really been playing well either thus driving down his price.

The Spurs may have found their backup PG with Cojo as well, just great news for the Spurs. If this is the case all they really need to do is focus their attention on a PF after they resign Splitter.
    Diaw has a player option which he will almost certainly pick up.

However, we might be able to get him to opt out to save us $1m or so. He's due $4.7m, maybe he'd opt out if we offered him a new deal of $7.5m/2yr.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if Blair/SJAX/Neal/ are not signed and if we amnesty Bonner how much will that get us under the cap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if Blair/SJAX/Neal/ are not signed and if we amnesty Bonner how much will that get us under the cap?
    In the following case:
    - Spurs renounce to Blair, Jackson and Neal.
    - Spurs amnesty Bonner.
    - Diaw and Mills opt in.
    - Spurs trade away their first round pick or use him on a draft and stash player.
    - Spurs re-sign Splitter and Ginobili.

Then a guesstimate of Spurs cap space would be: $16.3M minus Ginobili's new salary. So, for example, if Manu sign a new contract staring at $6M, Spurs would have $10.3M to offer at free agents.

If you want to tweak this number:
    - Mills opting out would create $0.6M more in cap space.
    - Spurs keeping their first round pick and using it on a player they would sign this summer would eat between $0.4M and $0.6M in cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, that's assuming a $62m salary cap?

If we had $10m to spend, we could lure the likes of Millsap, Jefferson or West. That would be fantastic IMO

Also, would a draft pick really make a difference? We'll have a $490k cap hold on the roster spot regardless, the draft pick might only remove ~$300k from cap space?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the following case:
    - Spurs renounce to Blair, Jackson and Neal.
    - Spurs amnesty Bonner.
    - Diaw and Mills opt in.
    - Spurs trade away their first round pick or use him on a draft and stash player.
    - Spurs re-sign Splitter and Ginobili.

Then a guesstimate of Spurs cap space would be: $16.3M minus Ginobili's new salary. So, for example, if Manu sign a new contract staring at $6M, Spurs would have $10.3M to offer at free agents.

If you want to tweak this number:
    - Mills opting out would create $0.6M more in cap space.
    - Spurs keeping their first round pick and using it on a player they would sign this summer would eat between $0.4M and $0.6M in cap space.
    So do you think there's anything to the strategy of agreeing with Splitter, but waiting to ink the deal and keeping only the cap hold on the books until after they've used up the cap space? Do you see Splitter's starting salary as being significantly different than his cap hold?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, that's assuming a $62m salary cap?
    Yeah, it is. $62M might sound optimistic but there are some signs that shows a significant raise of the BRI.
    Maybe the most tangible of it these signs is the league raising the max salary by 5.8% between 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. Since max salaries are derived from the BRI, such a big raise is surely a sign that the NBA projections are optimistic.

Also, would a draft pick really make a difference? We'll have a $490k cap hold on the roster spot regardless, the draft pick might only remove ~$300k from cap space?
    The rookie scale for the first year of the 29th pick is $887K, so with the cap hold, keeping the pick would cost $397K to be exact.
    I said $0.4M/$0.6M because there is a gray area about cap hold for unsigned first round pick and msot of the time their cap hold is 120% of the rookie scale.
    You can read more about that here:
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50

So do you think there's anything to the strategy of agreeing with Splitter, but waiting to ink the deal and keeping only the cap hold on the books until after they've used up the cap space? Do you see Splitter's starting salary as being significantly different than his cap hold?
    My figures are with Splitter cap hold of $7.5M, so they don't change even if Splitter sign a max deal.

If he doesn't suck in the playoffs, I think Splitter will be paid above his cap hold. $10M per year sounds fair for that kind of bigman. In that case, and if Spurs want to use their cap space, agreeing with Splitter to a contract and waiting to sign him is the way to go.

Thread Information