Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It had been a few games since the Spurs had looked completely in rhythm. However, the malaise cleared early on Saturday night when the Spurs blew the doors off their contest versus the Suns. Within three and a half minutes the Spurs were up by double-digits and the never looked back. San Antonio's easy 105-91 victory keeps the team in a virtual tie with Oklahoma City atop the Western Conference.

While this was an impressive victory over a team desperately seeking out wins to make the playoffs, it should be noted that the Suns had played the previous night in a grueling match against the Rockets. Additionally, Steve Nash only played six minutes due to pain in his right hip. That said, the Spurs picking up a restful win against one of their toughest opponents remaining on their schedule is a definite plus.

Next up is a Californian back-to-back-to-back that begins against the Warriors, ends in Sacramento and has the Lakers in the middle. It'll be interesting to see how Pop and the Spurs decide to attack this threesome of games.

Tim Duncan A
    Coming off one of his better contests of the season, Tim Duncan followed that up with another fantastic performance. When the Spurs were destroying the Suns early, it was Duncan swinging the wrecking ball. In the game's first five minutes, Duncan had 11 points and four rebounds on 5-for-5 shooting from the floor. He had it all working offensively -- from the outside jumper to the dribble-drives to the hoop and from the post moves to the power finishes at the rim. Defensively, Duncan flustered Marcin Gortat into one of his worst outings of the year. If it wasn't for a flurry of sloppy play in the second half, it's difficult to imagine Duncan playing much better. Let us pray that he can stay healthy heading into the playoffs.

Manu Ginobili B-
    By the time Manu Ginobili got on the court, the Spurs were already up by 17 points. For good measure, Ginobili handed out two assists within his first minute of action to help complete the mercy killing. From there, he mostly went through the motions. Ginobili had a few good passes, a couple strong takes to the basket and played solid defense on a handful of possessions. It wasn't the most spectacular night from the Argentine ... but obviously that was understandable given the cir stances.

Tony Parker A
    As great as Duncan played, I thought it was actually Tony Parker who set the tone. He came out focused and in attack-mode from the very first play of the game. After a lot of indiscriminate floating in his last two outings, he was razor sharp on both ends of the court on Saturday night. On offense, he picked apart the Suns with his passing at first and then added scoring once their defense started playing him for the assist. Defensively, he was aggressive in one-on-one situations and also dropped into the paint to provide strong help-defense and aid on the boards. All in all, this was a great bounce-back affair by Parker.

Kawhi Leonard A
    In the third quarter against Memphis, Kawhi Leonard showed signs of overcoming the rookie wall. Versus the Suns, Leonard looked even better. He entered the game 0-for-6 on three-pointers in the month of April but was able to drain all three of his long ball attempts. The rest of his offense was crisp. He moved with purpose, dropped off a few quality passes, crashed the offensive boards and overall just looked much more confident. On defense, Leonard might have been even better. His length and anticipation made him a menace on the perimeter and he also helped protect the rim. In all aspects, it was just a very strong outing by the rookie.

DeJuan Blair A-
    After getting benched for the entire second half of the Grizzlies game, DeJuan Blair was back in the starting lineup and he responded with one of his better first quarter showings of the season. He was all over the court on defense. He chased Channing Frye off the three-point line and also rotated to break up a handful of plays. Blair was also physical in his boxing out and rebounding. It's not a stretch to say it was one of his best quarters of defense of the season. Offensively, he ran the court extremely well and kept things simple when he got the ball. Outside of the first quarter, Blair had a few sloppy possessions and didn't play nearly as well … but that first quarter gave a glimpse of how Blair is capable of playing when he's fully engaged both mentally and physically.

Danny Green B+
    Offensively, Danny Green basically just shot threes and made ill-advised passes. Thankfully, some of those ill-advised passes ended up with positive results. However, that didn't stop Pop from giving him a few death stares along the way. Defensively, though, Green was an asset. He did much better work against Shannon Brown than he did the last time these two teams clashed. He also flew in from off the ball to get deflections and grab contested boards. Green didn't play in the second half but I assume it was a matter of Pop giving him some well-deserved rest since Green is the only player on the team who has played in every game.

Stephen Jackson C
    The good: Stephen Jackson's defense continues to be a positive. He's reading plays well (Jackson has nine steals in the last four games) and the Suns had little success when they went at him. Jackson's rebounding in his time with the Spurs has been at a career-high rate and it was strong again Saturday night. Offensively, he knocked down his first look (a three-pointer) and got to the free throw line. The bad: He now has 11 turnovers in his last four games. Jackson's shooting continues to be off; he's shooting just 38.6% from the field and 32.6% on three-pointers so far with the Spurs. Jackson is a work in progress who has a lot of kinks to iron out but he's already showing a lot of intangibles that should help the team going forward.

Gary Neal C-
    When Gary Neal was looking for his own shot, he did well. Otherwise, it was a struggle. While his ball-handling was acceptable, he had a difficult time with his timing and with his passes. Defensively, Neal was so bad at times that he actually got benched in the middle of a blowout. It looks like Pop is getting tired of Neal's defensive mistakes so if Neal wants to be a part of the playoff rotation, he better step it up soon.

Boris Diaw B-
    Boris Diaw didn't check into the game until midway through the third period. By then, the Spurs already had a 25-point advantage. The rest of the way, Diaw did decent work. His passing was again a strength and he nailed his lone three-point attempt. (After missing his first five three-point attempts with the Spurs, Diaw has connected on his last three from deep.) Defensively, he was mostly a positive. His quick hands and feet resulted in a few takeaways. Diaw also showed the ability to switch off onto smaller and faster players.

Patrick Mills C-
    The growing pains for Patrick Mills continue. In his first couple games with the Spurs, it seemed like he would never miss. Now, things aren't coming nearly as easily for Mills. Not only is he missing shots, his attempts are often questionable. In addition to his five misses, he had four turnovers in his 16 minutes of work. While he racked up three assists, none of his passes were especially noteworthy. The highlight of Mills' night was his play on the defensive end. He applied great pressure and really hustled. Since the defenseless Neal is his compe ion at the backup point guard position, Mills would do well to concentrate on making a difference on the defensive end.

Tiago Splitter C-
    Tiago Splitter hasn't had many bad games in recent weeks but I just didn't like the way he played against the Suns. Robin Lopez repeatedly bumped him out of position and out-battled him far too often. Lopez is a decent player but Splitter should get the better of him. That just didn't happen on Saturday night. I also thought his rolls to the basket were a step slow and his running of the court appeared to be more labored than usual.

James Anderson B
    As the season has progressed, James Anderson looks like a better and better athlete. I don't know if he wasn't in shape to start the season but he wasn't jumping or moving nearly as well to begin the year. Anderson didn't hit a shot against the Suns but I liked his aggression and he also dropped off a few fine passes. Defensively, I thought he was the only bench player who kept his intensity throughout.

Matt Bonner C+
    Outside of a flying* one-handed dunk and a rebound, Matt Bonner didn't do much right or wrong. In the non-structured environment of blowouts, Bonner looks like a fish out of water.
    (*very generous use of the word)

Pop B
    Pop managed minutes very well and didn't panic when the Suns made a couple runs. Only Jackson played more than half the game. I thought that Pop was going to change the starting lineup after he shuffled it to begin the second half against the Grizzlies … but he didn't. And with as well as the Spurs played coming out of the gates, there's no way to disagree with the results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the writeup Tim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James deserves more minutes, but it's just impossible for him to get them

if we had more games left, I'd even say Anderson deserves a look at some backup guard minutes alongside Manu, at Neal's expense.
    He is giving it 100% on both ends, every minute he gets.
    Sucks he probably going to end up yet another wasted spurs first round pick that ends up producing for another team

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of a flying* one-handed dunk and a rebound,
    Video of said dunk:

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu seems to be going through the motions a lot during the last several games and not doing much out there. Even the one where he had a great game he didn't start doing anything until he yelled at Bonner and they desperately needed it. I wonder if he's just thinking about trying to get to the playoffs healthy or if this is what we'll see in the playoffs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that looked like a layup to me... but best save his energy

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not to mention that the suns were getting layups at will with Taigo "protecting the rim", and usually with a free throw afterwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    24 TO's concerns me. They had some extremely sloppy stretches. Hopefully this will get resolved as the season finishes up.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really liked Bonner's assessment. I was trying to explain it to my wife as she likes Bonner and his seemingly humble nature.

I will now show her your writeup as you got the point across much better than I did, which is more a sign of my incompetence attempting to explain Bonner.

Ginobili has been really, really slow footed defensively. It continued. He is now better against bigger stronger guys as he can use the Italian/Argentinian ability, some would call it flopping, to draw offensive fouls.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades.

Splitter had trouble with Lopez the last time we played the Suns as well. I didn't catch the game but I'm not surprised to see this. But last time Lopez routinely out muscled Splitter and deliberately tried to get under his skin by being overly physical.

Despite this being a blowout, I was hoping to see some of over key players log some more minutes. I know the 2nd b2b2b is coming up but Pop is guaranteed to be resting his players throughout series of games.
    -If cardio and conditioning is Splitter's problem, this was a perfect game to get him in better shape.

Everyone in the starting lineup had at least +23.. rare sight.. but it looks like they really took care of business and put this game away early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not to mention that the suns were getting layups at will with Taigo "protecting the rim", and usually with a free throw afterwards.
    You need to not be alive anymore, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7 rebounds and 1 block in 15 minutes is not so bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny thing is I never see lopez do that to anybody but splitter. Tiago need to man up and quit being so soft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James deserves more minutes, but it's just impossible for him to get them

if we had more games left, I'd even say Anderson deserves a look at some backup guard minutes alongside Manu, at Neal's expense.
    He is giving it 100% on both ends, every minute he gets.
    Sucks he probably going to end up yet another wasted spurs first round pick that ends up producing for another team
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He had a couple of explosive moments in the 4th quarter -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=avh8brEd6YI#t=1h9m9s

He showed pretty good elevation on an attempted offensive rebound here as well -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=avh8brEd6YI#t=1h18m44s

It'd be a shame to just let him go without trying to uncover his full potential as a regular rotation player, but Gary Neal and Danny Green have played too well and have too much "pull" with Pop due to past performance to justify Anderson stealing any of their minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I keep obsessing about, Timvp, is the relative flatness of the Spurs coming out of the half time.

After playing brilliantly in the first half, Tim looked pissed to be on the floor, and the problem I keep noticing when our big three are on the floor at the same time was ultra-apparent. This time it was Manu who ended up on the out looking in in terms of scoring (it has been Parker in the last few games), but it was completely noticeable that not everyone was involved in the offense.

Pop was clearly angry at the lackadaisical effort to start the half, and then Tony seemed to sort of pick up the slack and Tim got over his funk or whatever it was, but the problem was there.

The Spurs cannot seem to start the second-half with energy and focus. Time and time again, and it is gonna hurt us badly in the playoffs I fear when we aren't going to have the same kind of cushion we had in the is game. Pop won't change anything if he has been doing it this way for years...my question is whether or not you think the players themselves might begin challenging one another to come out with some fire.

Let's face it, too...the size of this win had as much to do with Phoenix being out of gas as it did with our prowess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed that Leonard sacrificed a couple of easy layups on breakaways to give teammates a chance to score. Blair got one gift.

Great at ude and team spirit for a rookie to give up chances to pad stats. Ya gotta like this kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed that Leonard sacrificed a couple of easy layups on breakaways to give teammates a chance to score. Blair got one gift.

Great at ude and team spirit for a rookie to give up chances to pad stats. Ya gotta like this kid.
    Yeah I think the assist is always the right play to make in that cir stances. It makes two guys happy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gary Neal C-
    When Gary Neal was looking for his own shot, he did well. Otherwise, it was a struggle. While his ball-handling was acceptable, he had a difficult time with his timing and with his passes. Defensively, Neal was so bad at times that he actually got benched in the middle of a blowout. It looks like Pop is getting tired of Neal's defensive mistakes so if Neal wants to be a part of the playoff rotation, he better step it up soon.
    I'm not sure he got benched, so much as Redd appeared on the verge of turning back the clock and was simply overpowering him, so they went to Anderson, who matches up much better with big, power wings. Once Redd went out, Neal returned and finished the game.

He's going to be a part of the playoff rotation, he just probably won't get more than 10 mpg backing up Parker. But even if he were playing about as well as he's capable of playing, I'm not sure that would change much, if at all. Green is simply a bigger, more athletic, energetic, better all around player. And with the way this team scores and the inevitable increase in minutes Parker and Ginobili will see in the playoffs, Neal's offense should become less necessary.

But like I've said all along, even if Neal becomes a 10 mpg guy and Blair is dropped from the rotation, they're still going to be important. If you're going to go through four rounds, particularly when you're not a team that plays your top three guys 40-45 minutes in close playoff games and are injury prone, you need contributions from 11-12 guys. Look no further than the Mavs last season, who needed contributions from Mahinmi and Cardinal in Finals games. They'll come games when the offense stalls and key guys just don't have it, when Neal's scoring and Blair's energy will come in handy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure he got benched, so much as Redd appeared on the verge of turning back the clock and was simply overpowering him, so they went to Anderson, who matches up much better with big, power wings. Once Redd went out, Neal returned and finished the game.
    Watching Neal trying to check Redd was almost comical. Redd looked like he had a solid foot height difference on Neal, and you can't give one of the best shooters in the last decade that much clearance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair gets an A-? Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks dude/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Suns would consider Redd for Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Suns would consider Redd for Anderson.
    Neither player can be traded, so no.

Thread Information