Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Matt Bonner, F, San Antonio

7.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.9 apg, plus-313, +12.9 NetRtg

The Spurs are a unique team and the Red Rocket is a pretty unique player. After leading the league in 3-point percentage last season, he ranks ninth this year. So he clearly has a more distinguishable offensive skill than Collins ever had.

But Bonner's 98 3-pointers (less than two per game) don't exactly account for his ridiculous plus-minus, the highest on the Spurs even though he's played 600 fewer minutes than Tony Parker (who's a plus-284). The Spurs have scored an incredible 112.6 points per 100 possessions with Bonner on the floor.

Of players who have logged at least 500 minutes, only Manu Ginobili (115.8 in 649 minutes) and James Harden (112.8 in 1,805) have a higher on-court offensive rating. In 305 minutes with both Ginobili and Bonner on the floor, the Spurs have scored 126.5 points per 100 possessions, which is out-of-this-word efficient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    F Pop!

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just can't understand the romance between Bonner and +/-.
    I suppose it's because the spurs 2nd unit is so much better usually than the rival's one. But it's just ridiculous

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose it's because the spurs 2nd unit is so much better usually than the rival's one. But it's just ridiculous
    I can't understand all the Bonner hate. The man does his job. He's one of our own and we should embrace him as such. Same doesn't apply for RJ cause he was soft as Pikachu's marshmallow diarrhea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever the reason more +/- means more points that the other team which means wins. If its only 'because the 2nd unit is so much better' is immaterial. More points than the opposition is more points than the opposition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand all the Bonner hate. The man does his job. He's one of our own and we should embrace him as such. Same doesn't apply for RJ cause he was soft as Pikachu's marshmallow diarrhea.
    Bonner is just as soft, but in a much more dangerous position: PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bonner would be able to keep those numbers during the playoffs, there wouldn't be such a thing as "Bonner fire"...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop manipulates the rotations to inflate Bonner's +/-.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner gets pulled when the opponent is making a run. He has no defense, however when the Spurs are down big or up big, that's when Bonner does his thing and those numbers skew his +/-. Manu, on the other hand, is who you want in the game to stop a run, and he's going to suffer some points because of it.

How long would Bonner stay in the game if the other team was on a 10-0 run? Not long, considering most if not all of the points would be coming from the guy Bonner is supposed to be guarding.

I would like to see how many points Matt gives up to the person he's defending vs how many he scores.

Matt's +/- numbers do not indicate more or less points for either team. It just indicates the time in the game in which Matt is on the floor.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner gets pulled when the opponent is making a run. He has no defense, however when the Spurs are down big or up big, that's when Bonner does his thing and those numbers skew his +/-. Manu, on the other hand, is who you want in the game to stop a run, and he's going to suffer some points because of it.

How long would Bonner stay in the game if the other team was on a 10-0 run? Not long, considering most if not all of the points would be coming from the guy Bonner is supposed to be guarding.

I would like to see how many points Matt gives up to the person he's defending vs how many he scores.
    that -10 would go to bonner's on-court, not the guy who comes in and "stops the run", if such a thing actually happened.

did you see timvp's thread on player pairs?

Bonner on the court improves the +/- of every single player on the Spurs, both offensively and defensively, except Blair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't rebound and his help defense is mediocre but he is a pretty good post defender. If you actually watch when guys try to post him up it should be obvious.

ElNono has a point in that he wilts in the playoffs. I do not think hes as bad as the hyperbole but he definitely takes a step back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The numbers should be here for the past 3 seasons (including this one):

09-10
    10-11
    11-12

Look in the "Player 48-Minute Production by Position" section.

Basically, this season he's posting numbers that correlate better to 09-10. He's marginally better than the guy he's guarding. He was actually poorer last season.

The problem with this though is that it's mostly regular season numbers. While he does suck here and there during the regular season, he does suck a lot more during the playoffs.

Which is understandable, seeing that the playoffs are much more about matchups, and he is what you would call a weak link, IMO.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yay San Antonio Suns!

boner's regular season numbers mean NOTHING

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah then he retires early every year come April.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +/- -5 Matt Bonner first half vs. GS tonight per NBA.com when rest of team raising their numbers - Bonner getting into end of the season form early!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't need stats to see how bad Bonner is in the playoffs. My eyes are fine and stats are sometimes deceiving.

Makes you say hmmm... YoMamaIsCallin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch the game and listen to what Sean says. The reason Bonner has good plus-minus is that he opens up the Spurs standard very-high-screen-and-roll offense for Ginobili or Parker with Duncan, Splitter, or Blair. They kill with that offense. If Bonner's man steps in, the guard kicks out to Bonner and someone ends up taking an open 3, either Bonner on the wing or the corner man. If Bonner's man stays out, it's either a layup for the guard or a layup for the big after the pass to him.

And, as far as defense goes, it's a team defense concept. Yes, Bonner cannot stop an athletic big one-on-one who gets the ball 5 feet from the basket. Not many people can and those who can are called all-stars or at least all-defense. So the f*** what. That is not what he is asked to do.

And, he's an adequate old-school box-out team rebounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch the game and listen to what Sean says. The reason Bonner has good plus-minus is that he opens up the Spurs standard very-high-screen-and-roll offense for Ginobili or Parker with Duncan, Splitter, or Blair. They kill with that offense. If Bonner's man steps in, the guard kicks out to Bonner and someone ends up taking an open 3, either Bonner on the wing or the corner man. If Bonner's man stays out, it's either a layup for the guard or a layup for the big after the pass to him.
    The offensive design is fine. Now gently remove Matt Bonner and insert Stephen Jackson into Bonner's spot, and you have the recipe for a championship.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one's regular season HOFer is another's playoff scrub

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't do his job in April or May...... He has started his annual fade already, so if he is not hitting once again he does nothing. I don't like the guy, sorry I never will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonbons + - numbers in the playoffs please?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner already in playoff mode.

April (9 games)
    18.9 mpg
    41.2 FG%
    6.0 ppg
    2.7 rpg

Lets look at Tiago's numbers for April.
    16.9 mpg
    65.2 FG%
    9.0 ppg
    5.4 rpg

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

April (9 games)
    18.9 mpg
    41.2 FG%
    6.0 ppg
    2.7 rpg

16.9 mpg
    65.2 FG%
    9.0 ppg
    5.4 rpg
    I still can't get how it's not obvious to Pop that a guy who can shoot 65% from the field should be getting more attempts per game. That 65% will be there in the playoffs plus getting the other team in foul trouble. Meanwhile Bonner's % will be sinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

April (9 games)
    18.9 mpg
    41.2 FG%
    6.0 ppg
    2.7 rpg

16.9 mpg
    65.2 FG%
    9.0 ppg
    5.4 rpg
    Where's the stat for that hesitation dribble in the post while being guarded by Nate Robinson?

Thread Information