San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually that might work.

Duncan/Lorbek/Bonner
    Diaw/Bonner/Blair
    Leonard/Jax
    Green/Manu/Neal
    Parker/Back-up PG in exchange for Splitter

Still don't really like that frontcourt but that's a roster that could probably do well in the regular season.
    Assuming that Diaw is worth keeping, they won't be able to sign him and Lorbek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I KNOW! Let's take Diaw AND Lorbek and just drop Bonner!

/kills self

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming that Diaw is worth keeping, they won't be able to sign him and Lorbek.
    Really? Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I don't think you can fit both into the MLE, and I don't believe either would sign for the BAE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see them attempting something similar but I highly doubt that they get a starting 4 in exchange for Splitter and Blair's combined salaries. If they look to move Splitter (and they should imo) they'll have to look more at getting a back-up point guard or at players who are currently on rookie salary with perhaps picks added on or something.

That said, you might be able to work something out with a team like Houston -they seem to have enough assets and I don't think they'd turn down a player who could help them get into the playoffs.

I can't say I'd be happy with the move though since given the accolades and the like, I'm still not convinced that trading Splitter and Blair to accommodate Lorbek is such a sound decision. In fact, I suspect that it would make us weaker up front than we already are. Unless the Spurs can maybe grab a slightly undersized but scrappy type from Houston to round things out or something.
    I would ask those who keep making this suggestion, why in the world are some of you so quick to want Splitter shipped out of S.A.? This suggestion makes absolutely no sense - epseically for a team that is already thin on the frontline - at least from a skills standpoint anyway. After all, it's not like the Spurs are the Utah Jazz and have a plethora of big man options.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would ask those who keep making this suggestion, why in the world are some of you so quick to want Splitter shipped out of S.A.? This suggestion makes absolutely no sense - epseically for a team that is already thin on the frontline - at least from a skills standpoint anyway. After all, it's not like the Spurs are the Utah Jazz and have a plethora of big man options.
    It's not that I want Splitter shipped out. I wish he could stay and start getting the minutes he deserves.

But unfortunately, Pop has made his decision and short of a lightbulb moment he's not going to change. While I would be furious if Tiago went on to be an all-star/get further in the playoffs than our team () or something, he doesn't deserve to be on the bench playing behind Bonner, Blair, Diaw, and soon-to-be Lorbek.

If we can trade him and get a decent back-up PG then it's in everyone's best interests to do so. Both for Tiago's career, my sanity, and the team as far as a offensively-oriented roster goes.

I'll admit that it's a shame though because I can't shake the feeling I have that Tiago has the potential to be a really good player in this league. From what I've seen I don't get the same feeling about Lorbek but it could still be a good move...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that I want Splitter shipped out. I wish he could stay and start getting the minutes he deserves.

But unfortunately, Pop has made his decision and short of a lightbulb moment he's not going to change. While I would be furious if Tiago went on to be an all-star/get further in the playoffs than our team () or something, he doesn't deserve to be on the bench playing behind Bonner, Blair, Diaw, and soon-to-be Lorbek.

If we can trade him and get a decent back-up PG then it's in everyone's best interests to do so. Both for Tiago's career, my sanity, and the team as far as a offensively-oriented roster goes.

I'll admit that it's a shame though because I can't shake the feeling I have that Tiago has the potential to be a really good player in this league. From what I've seen I don't get the same feeling about Lorbek but it could still be a good move...
    There's an old NBA adage that "you never trade BIG for SMALL". And in this case, I would concur. I get your position. However if Pop and RC give up on Splitter this early - and I don't think they will - then they would and should ruin the pristine reputations that they have built for themselves. In fact, shipping out Splitter would be a perposterous move for a team that is ALREADY thin up front.

If that should happen, we would all be well within our rights to criticize this organization for its failure to develop big men. They've already given up on Mahinmi too soon, so I would hope there is a lesson learned there - and they don't make the same mistake twice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's absolutely no reason to believe that the Spurs have given up on Splitter or have any intention of trading him. And the Mahinmi situation is not the least bit analogous to Splitter's situation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best is to keep Splitter and sign Lobrek....The guy can be on the floor and get playing time with Splitter or Timmy. His offense is better then Blair and Bonner and his defense is probably a little better then those two.

Diaw will get a bigger contract from some team..NJ, Portland etc..

I would look at who his agent is and tell them look we are interested but we are not going to be played. So either sign a decent deal or we move on...no B.S!

Anderson will be gone, Cory will still need another year in the D-Leauge, and I hate to say it but Mills is sucking it up big time lately.

So going into the summer we should first look at signing Lobrek...if he signs on then we look at trading..Blair, and keeping Green. Maybe amnesty Bonner?

Another question is we will only have RJ for one more year do we make a move him and go for Batum or Omri?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's absolutely no reason to believe that the Spurs have given up on Splitter or have any intention of trading him. And the Mahinmi situation is not the least bit analogous to Splitter's situation.
    I agree with you in that I don't see how the Spurs FO could ever consider giving up on Splitter. Besides, a team that is already size-challenged along the frontline is in no position to give up on a serviceable big man. Therefore, the Ian situation, in my opinion, may not be analagous to Splitter situation, but it is germaine to the discussion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's an old NBA adage that "you never trade BIG for SMALL". And in this case, I would concur. I get your position. However if Pop and RC give up on Splitter this early - and I don't think they will - then they would and should ruin the pristine reputations that they have built for themselves. In fact, shipping out Splitter would be a perposterous move for a team that is ALREADY thin up front.

If that should happen, we would all be well within our rights to criticize this organization for its failure to develop big men. They've already given up on Mahinmi too soon, so I would hope there is a lesson learned there - and they don't make the same mistake twice.
    Scola actually makes it three times. I was angrier about that than Mahinmi although I'm annoyed about Ian as well.

On a personal level I completely agree with you on trading bigs for smalls. Especially since I don't think Lorbek will be as good to start as Tiago has been this season. Forget about if Splitter actually got time to develop.

But I do think Lorbek would be good enough to be our third big and that he could help if we weren't so insistent on playing Bonner/Blair at all costs. Shipping Tiago significantly weakens our team imo but if Pop is insistent on going offense-first, then a back-up point is exactly what they need to go for.

We'll just have to resign ourselves to the fact that short of our coach coming to his senses, Tim/Manu will likely retire without another ring at the rate things are going...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another question is we will only have RJ for one more year do we make a move him and go for Batum or Omri?

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't really have the luxury to give into a trade demand from Splitter either. Besides, I do think he'll get a bigger role next season..

As for Lorbek vs. Diaw:
    -Diaw is proving to be a nice fit so far. That makes him the safer pick between the two.
    -Lorbek isn't a home run fit with us either. Pop doesn't always play new bigs right away and Lorbek is probably a center rather than a power forward. Which means it'll be Duncan vs. Splitter vs. Lorbek for minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    STOP BEING A FREAKING TROLL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You freaking dumb asses would be banned within 2-3 posts if you said this crazy bull in any European forum.

"Diaw better than Lorbek"

"Splitter way more dominant than Lorbek could ever be in Europe"

"Lorbek is clearly more of a center than a power forward"

Not one of you stupid inbred redneck racist jack asses would last more than 2-3 posts before being banned on any European basketball forum.
    So go back there. You won't be missed, you fake Greek troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You freaking dumb asses would be banned within 2-3 posts if you said this crazy bull in any European forum.

European forums suck. You suck. === Go to a European forum.

This should be fun.

Random member
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Here is today's article for a Slovenian website, that is, unlike certain spanish website, actually quoting Lorbek saying that all the rumours that have been circulating lately about his future are totally ungrounded.

Use Google translate or something if you need extra proof.

http://www.siol.net/sportal/kosarka/...po_sezoni.aspx

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not one of you stupid inbred redneck racist jack asses would last more than 2-3 posts before being banned on any European basketball forum.
    you definitely know what you are talking about.
    is there one European forum that did not yet ban you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes more sense to keep Diaw in the short run. TD and Manu don't have a long run.
    Exactly. And in the long run Lorbek doesn't help either because he would be a 29 year old rookie who would need additional 1-2 years to adapt.

By that time TD and Manu might both be retired.

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumor here in Spain is that Lorbek is coming to the spurs next season. If we can get rid of Bonner or Blair and bring back Diaw plus signing Lorbek... Watch out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A couple of years ago the financial incentives were all on the side of staying in Europe because the Euro was strong against the dollar and it looked like the US was going to have a worse economy than Europe..

But with the Euro imploding and Greece, Italy and Spain in serious financial trouble, the Euro leagues may be forced to cut back on salaries and perks.

Right now it probably looks better than before to European players to try the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to explore signing with the Spurs but it'll come down to money. If the Spurs decide to spend their money elsewhere (such as on Diaw), Lorkbek is unlikely to settle for scraps and would stay in Europe.

FWIW, I know the Spurs are pretty damn high on him. But still, they have a limited supply of money this offseason and there's no way to know how they are going to spend it right now.
    What has he done to warrant MLE? He's a ing 2nd round pick!

Bob Kelso is an awful man Dr Cox's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are Lorbek’s main skills? Another big shooter?

This season's offseason priorities IMO...

Whats best for the team (players you need to bring back)
    1. Sign Duncan
    2. Sign Diaw
    3. Sign Green
    4. Sign Lorbek

Where the money goes (who to pay first)
    Diaw
    Green
    Duncan (pay him what he wants, hopefully it is enough to bring the two above back)
    Lorbek (Get rid of Bonner or Blair and Anderson) {My pick is Bonner}

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Spurs are at 48.2 million for next year.They will like to stay under the luxary tax of 70 million.
    Sign Duncan for 10-12 mill
    Sign Green for 4-6 mill
    Decline Blair option
    Let go of Anderson
    Patty player option-likely to look for more money
    Mills/Neal-Spurs cant keep both
    Diaw/Lorbek-Spurs won't keep both.One is coming or going.
    Bonner is under contract for 2 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him to the Rockets for cash.

Thread Information