Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to think, that if the Spurs plan to contend for the 'ship the next season too, and want to continue making the playoffs once Duncan and Manu retire, they have to find the way to keep Green, Diaw and sign Lorbek, after re-signing Duncan. The team has to continue improving, Miami and others will certainly add some peaces.

Adding talent would also put the Spurs in a position to pull a trade to land a franchise player and still have enough talent afterwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's okay with a small salary then why not? Personally, I'd still choose Diaw over him and if he asks for more money then better pass it.

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek is killing it in the Spanish finals. It'd be so awesome if he is really coming next year.

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek MVP

Believe.
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    How much money could we offer him considering that TD will eat all the cap space ?

2y/2.5m right (new exception for teams with cap space) ?

Does he get more than that in Europe?
    He can get wice as much at least if he signed a new contract with Barcelona or any other top team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't splitter "killing it" in the spanish league at one time too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can get wice as much at least if he signed a new contract with Barcelona or any other top team.
    The value in coming to the NBA is on the back side: sign a small contract up front, then sign a big one in 3 years once your team has Bird rights. At that point, if you're good enough, you can make far more in the NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The value in coming to the NBA is on the back side: sign a small contract up front, then sign a big one in 3 years once your team has Bird rights. At that point, if you're good enough, you can make far more in the NBA.
    Of course, that's a good reasoning when you are 22 or 23 but he's 28 and, even if he succeeds, market value is not the same for a 30 YO than for a 25 YO palyer.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He'll eventually get it in the NBA, but he's not getting any younger. His window of opportunity is closing.

Believe.
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Right. So?
    I'd say he's fared pretty good in the NBA whenever he's been given a chance. If only he could hit 60-65% of his FT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, that's a good reasoning when you are 22 or 23 but he's 28 and, even if he succeeds, market value is not the same for a 30 YO than for a 25 YO palyer.
    Absolutely true. And having just won the le for Real Madrid and an MVP award to go with it, that will make it harder to bring him in for what we can afford to pay him.

But lots of guys have come over later in their careers -- Oberto, for example. Some of them want to take their shot at the brightest spotlight at all. Some of them don't.

Either way, I seriously doubt that we will offer him a contract this summer starting at what he could be making at Real Madrid. It's up to him to decide what he wants to do.

Personally, I'm still holding out hope that there's some way we can split the midlevel between Diaw and Lorbek, but that may no longer be possible.
    Last edited by tesseractive; 06-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about Europe all I can say that Spain is close to ending up like Greece. We will see how things are going to turn for Spain in the next couple of weeks but it is looking very bad for that country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it's just me but I don't want the team to pin its le hopes next year on a 28 year old rookie from overseas (he'll also be 29 next season). Oberto was able to hitch a ride on TD and Manu in their primes but they're no longer at a stage where they can do that for Lorbek. Even if that guy is the goods, do we really want to gamble on that right now? It's a big risk to take. I'd rather just focus on Diaw and the possibilities of getting Batum (I know, I'm the only one here who wants him) and/or amnestying the out of Bonner and luring some other PROVEN quality player somehow.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I guess it's just me but I don't want the team to pin its le hopes next year on a 28 year old rookie from overseas (he'll also be 29 next season). Oberto was able to hitch a ride on TD and Manu in their primes but they're no longer at a stage where they can do that for Lorbek. Even if that guy is the goods, do we really want to gamble on that right now? It's a big risk to take. I'd rather just focus on Diaw and the possibilities of getting Batum (I know, I'm the only one here who wants him) and/or amnestying the out of Bonner and luring some other PROVEN quality player somehow.
    Batum isn't coming, and Diaw is more of a hybrid big. Bonner and Splitter have both proven to be playoff marshmallows. I don't think this guy could be any worse, and since he can actually shoot, he may be able to stay on the floor, something Splitter was never able to do.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you're the only one who wants Batum - the rest of us realize the Spurs already have two small forwards (Leonard and Buckets), and know we need a big man.

Maybe you can join the rest of us in that reality.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you're the only one who wants Batum - the rest of us realize the Spurs already have two small forwards (Leonard and Buckets), and know we need a big man.

Maybe you can join the rest of us in that reality.
    He's not alone, I'm completely with SpursPadre on that one. We won't get anything better than an eventual Diaw/Lorbek combo at PF, Diaw bar none would be fine too, it doesn't really matter because Lorbek most likely isn't a game changer. Now if we get a significant upgrade for Green in Batum, we get stronger, maybe strong enough.

If you want to start trading players left and right to gamble for a PF that won't complement Tim as well as Boris it's fine, but it's not the consensus.

We had a strong team, just fine tune it. Back up PG = anyone but Neal. Back up or starting SG = Batum for Green. Back up PF = Lorbek for Bonner.

That team is a legit contender if Tim plays as well as he did this season.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He's not alone, I'm completely with SpursPadre on that one. We won't get anything better than an eventual Diaw/Lorbek combo at PF, Diaw bar none would be fine too, it doesn't really matter because Lorbek most likely isn't a game changer. Now if we get a significant upgrade for Green in Batum, we get stronger, maybe strong enough.

If you want to start trading players left and right to gamble for a PF that won't complement Tim as well as Boris it's fine, but it's not the consensus.

We had a strong team, just fine tune it. Back up PG = anyone but Neal. Back up or starting SG = Batum for Green. Back up PF = Lorbek for Bonner.

That team is a legit contender if Tim plays as well as he did this season.
    Unfortunately for your scenario, young master Batum wants to get paid. He turned down an offer of over $6M/yr from Portland, and we can't even offer him that and keep Diaw and get Lorbek. The latter two will require every bit of the MLE and the newer 2 yr LLE. Batum is also restricted. Forget Nic Batum. He isn't coming.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add to the fact the he is just a above average player......no way is he as good as he think he is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was killing it this season before he got injured.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe we can split up some of the LLE and MLE between Lorbek and Diaw. After Diaw flamed out in the playoffs along with Green, those two should take a market value hit.

I think De Colo is possible at the league minimum.

The big play will then be to offload Bonner, via either amnesty or trade.

Splitter and Neal will be decent trade bait, but we'll need a shot blocker and/or true big to part with Splitter. Richards perhaps would come cheap, the UK guy.

I'm sure my ideas are full of holes, but that is what I am thinking right now.

As much as a trade or amnesty of S Jax contract makes financial sense (and possibly more so Manu), I think we can all agree that would go over like a lead balloon for team and fan morale, those guys are warriors and deserve another run. They could also be nice pieces for the next several years in the $5 million per range.

All in all I like our ability to build around a lower priced veteran core the next few years. I may have to spreadsheet that out even!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Lorbek is coming to the Spurs. What really made think this was when he decided not to play for Slovenia in the Olympics because he had "Other Plans" for the Summer, which could very well mean signing with the Spurs and playing Summer League balls and working with the coaches to get integrated into the Spurs system.

After making that announcement, he only extended his stay at Barca to the end of this season, which ends in May/June I Believe, and they wanted to lock him up for a longer contract.

Lorbek is a better version of Bonner, I would actually put him close to the same level as a heathly Okur. He would really help the Spurs out. If the Spurs sign him, I think that Blair would be the one to go. The guy can shoot from anywhere on the court despite what people say, he is a physical player.

A frontcourt rotation of Duncan, Splitter, Bonner and Lorbek would be solid for the next 2-3 years.
    Disagree completely. The frontcourt rotation is flawed mainly because Duncan's superstar-level abilities have declined, but also because the rest of rotation cannot help offset that decline by helping with some of the heavy lifting. The quintessential example of such in Bonner. His skill limitations have only been compounded by his perennial playoff choking.

The Spurs cannot honestly bring Lorbek onto the roster and keep Bonner around - especially because they are, as you say, so similar. The Spurs despearately need to upgrade the frontcourt by infusing it with some youth, athleticism, rebounding and shotblocking capabilities. Having two guys of limited skill sets gets you nowhere. As such, if Lorbek is coming, Bonner needs to be the first to go. If the Spurs can then draft a young, aggressive big in the second round, I have not problem with them moving on from Blair too. Resigning Diaw, adding Lorbek and a young ass-kicking PF/C type would the best way to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek is nice offensively, but he's not much of a defender. A softer Tiago on D

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree completely. The frontcourt rotation is flawed mainly because Duncan's superstar-level abilities have declined, but also because the rest of rotation cannot help offset that decline by helping with some of the heavy lifting. The quintessential example of such in Bonner. His skill limitations have only been compounded by his perennial playoff choking.

The Spurs cannot honestly bring Lorbek onto the roster and keep Bonner around - especially because they are, as you say, so similar. The Spurs despearately need to upgrade the frontcourt by infusing it with some youth, athleticism, rebounding and shotblocking capabilities. Having two guys of limited skill sets gets you nowhere. As such, if Lorbek is coming, Bonner needs to be the first to go. If the Spurs can then draft a young, aggressive big in the second round, I have not problem with them moving on from Blair too. Resigning Diaw, adding Lorbek and a young ass-kicking PF/C type would the best way to go.
    Agree completely!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, I haven't seen a lot of him, but what I've seen, he looks like another unathletic white stiff with a jumpshot. Not too high on this guy and Splitter being the front court of the future for the Spurs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek is nice offensively, but he's not much of a defender. A softer Tiago on D
    That's the last thing this team needs is another soft big.

Thread Information