Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the last thing this team needs is another soft big.
    If you think of him as an improved (taller, has a post game, possibly better defense) version of Matt Bonner that doesn't fall apart in pressure situations, you'll have your expectations properly tempered.

Even a just-as-crappy-on-defense Matt Bonner whose balls didn't shrivel up in the playoffs would have been of enormous value vs. OKC.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek is much better than Splitter. Splitter can score just when someone passes him the ball from a pick n roll and he's wide open. His back to the basket game is also not really that great and he can't create his own shot. He's also very soft and scared of pressure situations. After all this I still like him, much more than Bonner who should never ever play in a Spurs uniform, but we all know that already.
    Lorbek's got a lot of moves on offense. He can shoot from everywhere, he can post up, he can create his own shot, he's got some nice spin moves and most important he's not scare of pressure. I would even say that he's better than Diaw, but first he must prove that. The perfect scenario would be if we could bring back Boris, sign Lorbek and amnesty Matthew.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll make the team even better, but what we need is a go-to scorer who doesn't shrivel up when the rest of the team isn't producing.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He'll make the team even better, but what we need is a go-to scorer who doesn't shrivel up when the rest of the team isn't producing.
    Actually, we don't need (and aren't likely to get) that at all. Those guys don't grow on trees, and aren't likely to be available for what we have to offer, asset-wise.

What we need are role players who aren't afraid, and can rest our "go to" guys without coughing up huge leads to the opposing bench. We lost three of the games to OKC by like 5,7, and 8 points, and our bench completely disappeared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, we don't need (and aren't likely to get) that at all. Those guys don't grow on trees, and aren't likely to be available for what we have to offer, asset-wise.
    That goes without saying. We're just not going anywhere with Tony Parker as our best player.
    Last edited by TimDunkem; 06-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek is much better than Splitter. Splitter can score just when someone passes him the ball from a pick n roll and he's wide open. His back to the basket game is also not really that great and he can't create his own shot. He's also very soft and scared of pressure situations. After all this I still like him, much more than Bonner who should never ever play in a Spurs uniform, but we all know that already.
    Lorbek's got a lot of moves on offense. He can shoot from everywhere, he can post up, he can create his own shot, he's got some nice spin moves and most important he's not scare of pressure. I would even say that he's better than Diaw, but first he must prove that. The perfect scenario would be if we could bring back Boris, sign Lorbek and amnesty Matthew.
    Please explain to me how someone can play basketball for years and earn millions of dollars doing it, yet can't make a simple mid range jumpshot, at a high rate when open? That applies to both Splitter and Blair. Either could be beasts with a reliable jumper that they could force other teams to honor and pump fake and drive to the basket off of.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    That goes without saying. We're just not going anywhere with Tony Parker as our best player.
    Then we're done.

I disagree, though. Tony didn't lose us the OKC series, our bench did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green went cold at the most inopportune time no doubt, but when a young player is pulled immediately for missing one shot I can't get on board with that approach. It was a shame since he had a story book season until the OKC series. Pop should return his COY for allowing Bonner as many minutes as he did, when one could argue he never should have stepped on the court. Neal was over relied upon, and Splitter/Blair were mismanaged in the end. Giving up on Blair completely down the stretch and heading into the series was a mistake, IMO, and Pop's Splitter tantrum was perhaps his worst coaching moment.

So actually I am blaming Pop a bit more than the bench players. While they could have performed better, I think Pop's approach to roster and bench player management was his worst of the season against OKC.

Back to Lorbek, which I almost forgot was the point of this thread. We need another big that has range and more size than Bonner. I am anxious to see what Lorbek can do in a Spurs uniform, and would rather see him on the roster than Diaw, if it comes to that.

Some recent Tweets:

has been one of the best players in the Euroleague. Looks like a clear-cut NBA rotation big man. Super skilled inside & out.
    2012-02-18 12:23:32
    DraftExpress: Erazem Lorbek starting to heat up now. Spurs are out here in full force and are hot on his trail supposedly trying to get him for 2012-13.
    2012-02-18 12:18:42

From DraftExpress.com

The only knock I hear is on his quickness. Well Diaw and Bonner aren't all that quick either.

One thing I am not sure about is his size. Height is listed at 6-10.75, which if barefoot could make him a half inch taller than Splitter. If that is in shoes, he could be an inch shorter than Splitter, who is 3/4 inch shorter than Duncan.
    Last edited by Knoxxx; 06-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that if the Spurs can't sign an all-star bigman, besides Duncan, they should add Lorbek. Duncan, Diaw, Splitter and Lorbek would be an very versatile rotation. Bonner and Blair are mostly regular season players. Lorbek can streach the floor, play inside, anchor the defense too. Basically, he could play with any big. Bringing him is a no brainer tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is another quote I found on Lorbek:

Lorbek has a face-up game and can shoot off the dribble with apparent ease. He is one of the best back-to-the-basket players in Europe right now, with finesse moves around the rim and great shooting range.

Basically everything Splitter/Bonner/Diaw are not. I think we need to get this guy, and hopefully he is only 1/4 inch shorter than Duncan. Then I can see him upgrading our interior defense also.

I found this video on You Tube and made a few notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGL9Q...eature=related

• Can score off the dribble
    • Strong ball handler
    • Great shooting touch from anywhere on the court
    • Nice one handed shots in the post, hook, floater you name it
    • More than decent passer
    • Does not back down from contact
    • Can draw shooting fouls and make the shot for an and 1
    • Can face up and shoot over other players and with a hand in his face
    • Will block a few shots
    • Always moving without the ball and looking to get open
    • Deadly jump shot out to 3 PT range off pick and roll
    • Smart team player
    • Great pump fakes to get shot off against shot blockers in the paint
    • Will abuse smaller players on defense by posting them up or shooting over them
    • Scorer’s mentality

I realize these were highlights and this is not NBA compe ion, but in the Spurs system I think he would thrive, and especially playing with Duncan.
    Last edited by Knoxxx; 06-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ This.

While I highly doubt the Spurs will amnesty Bonner, (that goes against their standard operating philosophy), I think it's more realistic and economically feasible for them to explore various trade options for him - possibly Blair too.

Allow me to expand upon your perfect scenario for the frontcourt. Resign Duncan. Resign Boris. Sign Lorbek. Trade Bonner for an early second round pick. With that early second round pick, select an ass-kicking PF, such as Kyle O'Quinn, Bernard James, Henry Sims or Robert Sacre. That would diversify the skill set and shore up the frontline immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ This.

While I highly doubt the Spurs will amnesty Bonner, (that goes against their standard operating philosophy), I think it's more realistic and economically feasible for them to explore various trade options for him - possibly Blair too.

Allow me to expand upon your perfect scenario for the frontcourt. Resign Duncan. Resign Boris. Sign Lorbek. Trade Bonner for an early second round pick. With that early second round pick, select an ass-kicking PF, such as Kyle O'Quinn, Bernard James, Henry Sims or Robert Sacre. That would diversify the skill set and shore up the frontline immediately.
    With the roster improvements RC made the previous off-season, the Spurs were near reaching the finals. They just have to continue improving. The Spurs need a good backup PG, hopefully Mills and DeColo can perform better than Neal. The other problem is that Bonner simply disappears in the playoffs, Lorbek should be a much better player for that role tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't splitter "killing it" in the spanish league at one time too?
    Yes, and it was against Lorbek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loebek is a fine player.
    The Center version of Beno Udrih.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is another quote I found on Lorbek:

Lorbek has a face-up game and can shoot off the dribble with apparent ease. He is one of the best back-to-the-basket players in Europe right now, with finesse moves around the rim and great shooting range.

Basically everything Splitter/Bonner/Diaw are not. I think we need to get this guy, and hopefully he is only 1/4 inch shorter than Duncan. Then I can see him upgrading our interior defense also.

I found this video on You Tube and made a few notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGL9Q...eature=related

• Can score off the dribble
    • Strong ball handler
    • Great shooting touch from anywhere on the court
    • Nice one handed shots in the post, hook, floater you name it
    • More than decent passer
    • Does not back down from contact
    • Can draw shooting fouls and make the shot for an and 1
    • Can face up and shoot over other players and with a hand in his face
    • Will block a few shots
    • Always moving without the ball and looking to get open
    • Deadly jump shot out to 3 PT range off pick and roll
    • Smart team player
    • Great pump fakes to get shot off against shot blockers in the paint
    • Will abuse smaller players on defense by posting them up or shooting over them
    • Scorer’s mentality

I realize these were highlights and this is not NBA compe ion, but in the Spurs system I think he would thrive, and especially playing with Duncan.
    I agree.
    Lorbek will be fine playing the Bonner role.
    Spurs will win a lot of RS games and then disappear -earlier- in the Playoffs.

Seen this movie already.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then who do you want us to get?

Dude Beno had no heart he was all flash and no show the opposite of Lobrek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree.
    Lorbek will be fine playing the Bonner role.
    Spurs will win a lot of RS games and then disappear -earlier- in the Playoffs.

Seen this movie already.
    Can't compare the 2 in terms of "clutch gene". Bonner can't even hit big shots in the regular season. I mentioned it in the think tank, if the Spurs sign him, early on in the season run plays for him for last second shots when the team is down, see how he handles the pressure. I still have yet to see Bonner hit a big 3 (even in reg season) when the Spurs are losing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh Splitter was killing it before his injury. I will wait another playoffs to write him off. While Manu had two good games vs OKC (1 and 5), neither him recovered completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have lottery picks, so they would need to be really lucky to draft an athletic talented bigman. The only way would be to sign one like NYC signed Chandler or the Pacers West, that was with +10M multi-years contracts. Or with a trade. Until something of that happens, the Spurs should add talented bigs, Splitter and Lorbek fit the bill.

That being said, the big 3 deserve their +10M contracts. Unlike RJ, Jack is worth his contract, but imo the Spurs would be a better team with an all-star big, Duncan, Parker and only one swing all-star player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please explain to me how someone can play basketball for years and earn millions of dollars doing it, yet can't make a simple mid range jumpshot, at a high rate when open? That applies to both Splitter and Blair. Either could be beasts with a reliable jumper that they could force other teams to honor and pump fake and drive to the basket off of.
    I've seen videos of Splitter knocking that shot down in Spain. I'm not sure what happened. It's almost the same thing this season. He was showing a developing post game but now he's just a pick and roll guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Folks that grow like Splitter usually have some hormonal disorder and aren't that coordinated. Few grow to 7' without known reason, that players shot fine from anywhere. It's better that Splitter shots near the basket, layups and dunks, those are high % shots for him. He probably can shot mid range jumpers, but at very low fg% compared to a guard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it just me or any big other then Duncan Pop just doesn't know how to coach them. I would love for us to bring some coach heck Kareem over someone who has played the position to be on our coaching staff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it just me or any big other then Duncan Pop just doesn't know how to coach them. I would love for us to bring some coach heck Kareem over someone who has played the position to be on our coaching staff.
    Don't we have NBA Legend Sean Marks?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Duncan is not even a good example since he stayed in college.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mundo Deportivo, a newspaper of Barcelona, after an interview with FCB's GM, FCB's coach and Navarro (captain), will publish tomorrow on their cover "Lorbek will play in San Antonio".

PS- Mundo Deportivo has ALWAYS great leaks and their journalists are close to the organization.

Thread Information