Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    whether its speculation or not, barca i see what u try to do here, get him sign long ass contract so you can get a buyout...fck u
    Barça just wants to keep the player obviously since he'd be extrmely hard to replace. The club makes a gazillion of cash a year, they don't need the pennies SA would pay.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek in and Bonner out. Could see a move that sends Bonner back to a team like Toronto as they will have lots of cap space for maybe a protected 2nd round pick.
    Bonner is more likely to retire a Spur than Duncan, Parker and Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd really like to see Erazem in NBA, but tbh I don't know how well he would fit in the NBA. But we don't know until we see him, so yes, he should try!

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question to the posters who really know his game and play style. Is his game similar to Mehmet Okur or am i way off track here?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes too much sense, we need a PF badly and we don't have the money to go after FAs like Ilyasova and we don't have any first rounder.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to explore signing with the Spurs but it'll come down to money. If the Spurs decide to spend their money elsewhere (such as on Diaw), Lorkbek is unlikely to settle for scraps and would stay in Europe.

FWIW, I know the Spurs are pretty damn high on him. But still, they have a limited supply of money this offseason and there's no way to know how they are going to spend it right now.
    This info probably comes from Barça's office, since TuBasket usually leaks from FOs, not players/agents.

It's obvious that Spurs are high on him (otherwise, they would've asked a 2nd round or cash in Hill's trade), but there are other factors.

If Spurs could get Lorbek and De Colo (who looks more willing to play for less money) splitting the MLE... That would be huge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the point of him waiting in a Europe another year. He should have came to the team this year so he could sit at the end of the bench because it's not "fair to the team" and so he can get over himself. Now we probably won't see him in the rotation till 2 years from now.

Brazil - So so English xD BRs.Ganso's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the savior? looks like... for someone guys...

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that similar. Okur in his prime was a better shooter with more range. Okur was a way better post defender.

Lorbek on the other hand, is a much more skilled all around offensive player than Okur ever was.

Okur is a center, Lorbek is a power forward.

I don't see much similarity in those two players.
    The question was for people who really know. RIF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Foster
    Souvlaki

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was discussed in Erazem's think tank thread, but I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be "interested" in the Spurs/NBA. All that does is drive up his market value for the European teams who really want him.

Unlike guys like Scola, Splitter, Gasol, this guy has never shown much interest in the NBA. I see his chances of willing to relocate and move to San Antonio as slim. I wouldn't be surprised if him and his agent are just driving up his value and expanding his options.

I would like to know what his estimated market value is and whether the Spurs can compete, financially, with some of the European teams. That should give us a clearer picture on the possibility of him coming over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand why dumbs compare him with Splitter who was way more dominant in Spain than Lorbek will never be.

Of course their game is pretty different too.

I can't see Lorbek playing a lot minutes in the NBA. Yes he's more like Bonner but he's not half as good as Bonner from 3.He's a few soft. He's not in love with the fight in the paint although he has pretty good moves in the paint tbh.

If will be a lot better for him to stay in Europe.

Comparative: Jorge Garbajosa without his toughness but better post game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will be like scola in summer 05 or splitter summer 08

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand why dumbs compare him with Splitter who was way more dominant in Spain than Lorbek will never be.

Of course their game is pretty different too.

I can't see Lorbek playing a lot minutes in the NBA. Yes he's more like Bonner but he's not half as good as Bonner from 3.He's a few soft. He's not in love with the fight in the paint although he has pretty good moves in the paint tbh.

If will be a lot better for him to stay in Europe.

Comparative: Jorge Garbajosa without his toughness but better post game
    Garbajosa without the toughness...How useful is a player like that exactly?

Random member
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Good point. I guess he can hit an occasional three every once in a while. Oh, wait, you already have Bonner for that...

On a more serious note, He's got one of the best post games in europe, but I think, in the NBA he would get pushed around in the paint and would eventually have to resort to outside and mid range shooting. His game, in my opinion is much more suited for euroleague than NBA and I think he's aware of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree to the extent that I have yet to see him give false hopes by saying he "wants" to come to the NBA. At this point all the reports are second hands at best. He has not used the Spurs to hike up his price in Europe (yet?)

He's a much more fundamentaly sound player and very talented. He has the BB IQ to be a good NBA player if he wanted. I just don't think he wants to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

On a more serious note, He's got one of the best post games in europe, but I think, in the NBA he would get pushed around in the paint and would eventually have to resort to outside and mid range shooting. His game, in my opinion is much more suited for euroleague than NBA and I think he's aware of that.
    Exactly! To overcome that he would need to really want it and work hard at it. Otherwise forget it - it would be a bad choice for the Spurs and for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 6-10 or 11, can play with his back to the basket and has minimal athleticism/quickness, so I doubt they view him as a four. He might be fine with being the third string five/fifth big for one season, but what if Duncan plays two more seasons? And in the event they went with a Duncan/Splitter/Bonner/Lorbek big rotation, they'd have even less athleticism/quickness in their big rotation than they do now.

That's why I wonder, if they get a commitment or even a sense from Duncan, that he's going to play two more seasons, if they'll shop Splitter. He's already 27, injury prone, and similar to Hill, despite clearly being the fourth best player in the team, he's not the greatest fit with part of the big three (at least in Pop's eyes). So if they have Lorbek to take over as the backup five, they might shop Splitter, with Blair, for a starting four.

Random member
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    There is zero chance of Lorbek coming over to be 3rd string five.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek in and Bonner out. Could see a move that sends Bonner back to a team like Toronto as they will have lots of cap space for maybe a protected 2nd round pick.
    Or just amnesty him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 6-10 or 11, can play with his back to the basket and has minimal athleticism/quickness, so I doubt they view him as a four. He might be fine with being the third string five/fifth big for one season, but what if Duncan plays two more seasons? And in the event they went with a Duncan/Splitter/Bonner/Lorbek big rotation, they'd have even less athleticism/quickness in their big rotation than they do now.

That's why I wonder, if they get a commitment or even a sense from Duncan, that he's going to play two more seasons, if they'll shop Splitter. He's already 27, injury prone, and similar to Hill, despite clearly being the fourth best player in the team, he's not the greatest fit with part of the big three (at least in Pop's eyes). So if they have Lorbek to take over as the backup five, they might shop Splitter, with Blair, for a starting four.
    I can see them attempting something similar but I highly doubt that they get a starting 4 in exchange for Splitter and Blair's combined salaries. If they look to move Splitter (and they should imo) they'll have to look more at getting a back-up point guard or at players who are currently on rookie salary with perhaps picks added on or something.

That said, you might be able to work something out with a team like Houston -they seem to have enough assets and I don't think they'd turn down a player who could help them get into the playoffs.

I can't say I'd be happy with the move though since given the accolades and the like, I'm still not convinced that trading Splitter and Blair to accommodate Lorbek is such a sound decision. In fact, I suspect that it would make us weaker up front than we already are. Unless the Spurs can maybe grab a slightly undersized but scrappy type from Houston to round things out or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes more sense to keep Diaw in the short run. TD and Manu don't have a long run.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes more sense to keep Diaw in the short run. TD and Manu don't have a long run.
    Actually that might work.

Duncan/Lorbek/Bonner
    Diaw/Bonner/Blair
    Leonard/Jax
    Green/Manu/Neal
    Parker/Back-up PG in exchange for Splitter

Still don't really like that frontcourt but that's a roster that could probably do well in the regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was discussed in Erazem's think tank thread, but I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be "interested" in the Spurs/NBA. All that does is drive up his market value for the European teams who really want him.

Unlike guys like Scola, Splitter, Gasol, this guy has never shown much interest in the NBA. I see his chances of willing to relocate and move to San Antonio as slim. I wouldn't be surprised if him and his agent are just driving up his value and expanding his options.

I would like to know what his estimated market value is and whether the Spurs can compete, financially, with some of the European teams. That should give us a clearer picture on the possibility of him coming over.

How many times have we heard that some Euro player is "interested" in coming to the Spurs, as a way to negotiate a better contract? As far as I'm concerned, that's what they're all doing until I read that thay have actually signed a contract.

Lorbek is obviously a good player, but he's not going to be a bruiser in the paint - which is what we really need. Not that we wouldn't want him, but he's not going to change the complexion of the team. We have enough spreading, and scoring, and all that . We need a guy who can get in and root for position, block shots, and won't get pushed around at will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends. Who's Erazem's agent?

Thread Information