keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAN DIEGO – The Marine Corps said Wednesday it has decided to discharge a sergeant for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook.

The Corps said Sgt. Gary Stein will be given an other-than-honorable discharge for violating Pentagon policy limiting speech of service members.

The San Diego-area Marine has served nearly 10 years in the Marine Corps. He has said he was exercising his free-speech rights.

The discharge will mean he loses all benefits.

A federal judge previously denied a request to block military discharge proceedings against Stein, who called Obama an enemy on Facebook.

U.S. District Judge Marilyn Huff ruled then that the military has the right to respond to Stein's online comments in a case that has called into question the Pentagon's policies regarding social media and the limits regarding the speech of active duty military personnel.

Attorney J. Mark Brewer told Huff the entire process violates the First Amendment, which federal courts have the right to uphold.

Huff disagreed, calling Stein's postings "truly troubling." Service members have had their speech limited since the Civil War, especially if their comments are believed to disrupt good order and discipline.

The judge pointed out Stein's March 1 comments on a Facebook page used by Marine Corps meteorologists in which the sergeant stated, "Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1t5WNwPr0

This guy has Fox News written all over him.. how long before he makes the rounds at Fox News?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Well, the guy wasn't suppose to do what he did.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    This guy has Fox News written all over him.. how long before he makes the rounds at Fox News?
    You need to be more open minded and stop obsessing over a cable Chanel. God bless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how many people now have been fired thanks to something they put on facebook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how many people now have been fired thanks to something they put on facebook
    If a marine were to publicly questions anyone else in the chain of command the same thing would happen. I also imagine that quite a few companies would discipline employees if they became aware of employee smears on a public profile. I don't see why its questioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually agreed with him until I read that last sentence. It's his job to follow Obama's orders - has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Often those who've never taken the oath of enlistment and read the UCMJ (or had it read to you) don't understand the difference between a military person and a civilian person in terms of freedoms.

Thread Information