...AND THEN THERE WERE FOUR... inagra's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Playoffs Preview
    The Sports Guy's most interesting storylines of the postseason

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ayoffs-preview

2. Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich
    As for Duncan and Popovich, they have a chance to win titles 13 seasons apart something that's never even come close to happening in the NBA. Riley and Magic-Kareem won titles six seasons apart. Auerbach and Russell won titles nine seasons apart. But 13??? Will we ever see that again? And also, a fifth Spurs title would propel them into the "Greatest Runs Ever" discussion along with Russell's Celtics (13 years, 11 titles), MJ's Bulls (eight years, six titles), Mikan's Minneapolis teams (six years, five titles) and Kahn's Timberwolves (just kidding). Throw in Duncan's legacy, Parker's Hall of Fame candidacy, Ginobili's Hall of Fame candidacy and the thought of Stephen Jackson, Matt Bonner, Boris Diaw and Boris Diaw's boobs hugging at midcourt in the single strangest basketball moment of all time and, other than that, there's nothing at stake here.

And by the way, the Spurs should win the title they have the deepest team, multiple crunch-time scorers, killer outside shooting, some much-needed swagger (thanks to Captain Jack's emotional return), the best coach and the best identity (at this point, they know EXACTLY what they are). Maybe if Ginobili weren't playing hurt and they hadn't run into the Z-Bo Chainsaw, it would have been them instead of Dallas last year. Regardless, they have one really good crack at history here. Will they do it? I felt so unsure of my pick that I didn't even have the heart to stick it in the column I relegated it to the footnotes.

Footnote:
    So what about a Finals pick? I'm instituting a new rule this year "Once you make a prediction for a season, you can't change it during the season." Back in December, I picked Miami over Memphis in the Finals so I'm stuck with it. That means

ROUND ONE: Bulls over Sixers in four Heat over Knicks in seven Pacers over Magic in six Celtics over Hawks in six Spurs over Jazz in six OKC over Dallas in five Lakers over Denver in six Grizzlies over Clippers in five.

ROUND TWO: Bulls over Celtics in seven Heat over Pacers in six Grizzlies over Spurs in seven OKC over Lakers in seven.

ROUND THREE: Heat over Bulls in seven Grizzlies over OKC in six.

FINALS: Heat over Grizzlies in six.
    Last edited by inagra; 04-27-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Check out my portfolio.

...AND THEN THERE WERE FOUR... inagra's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rings 13 years apart would be amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While it's been obvious for a while now -- and has probably been mentioned here by someone else -- the thing on Grantland today that I thought was most interesting was this idea:

On top of all that, much of the Spurs' success comes at the peril of the Suns. If the Spurs win these Finals, it will make the Suns lament their decisions that led them to try to look like the rest of the NBA, instead of pioneering a new style of small ball.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ff-predictions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I don't think the Suns are the easy comparison - as much as plenty would have you believe.

The Spurs' transition has been drastic in respect to their current selves. But to say they're the Suns is pretty ridiculous - they can play Championship-level D and they do have depth.

They ain't what they used to be, they're definitely different, and skewed more to the offense. But they ain't the Suns.

If anything, comparison-wise, they're closer to the Kings - a team that actually did have structure and defensive capability. The difference is, they've got championship experience in the key areas and the competition ain't what it used to be.

Playin the way they play, goes a lot further these days.

4RF

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ha ha, if it weren't for the Spurs, the Sund WOULD have won the ring in 2007. The Suns didnt' try to become like the rest of the NBA, they tried to match up with the Spurs.

buhbye Bonner. PLEASE! CubanMustGo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He brings up Ginobili's injury last year ...
    and still the fucker picks the Grizzlies, a lesser team than they were last year, to beat SA. Don't give me this "I can't change my pick" BS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He brings up Ginobili's injury last year ...
    and still the fucker picks the Grizzlies, a lesser team than they were last year, to beat SA. Don't give me this "I can't change my pick" BS.

He specifically states that he made his picks at the beginning of the season and made a rule that he wouldn't change them.

So what about a Finals pick? I'm instituting a new rule this year "Once you make a prediction for a season, you can't change it during the season." Back in December, I picked Miami over Memphis in the Finals so I'm stuck with it. That means

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is a f'in homer. Love reading his articles though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs don't get far in the playoffs, that's going to pretty much do it, I think.

Thread Information