Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu Ginobili C+
    When Manu Ginobili began the day with a leaner and a pair of driving dunks, I think we all expected a huge outing from the Argentine superstar. However, as it turned out, it went all downhill from there. Offensively, while he had a few great passes and a couple determined drives to the hoop, Ginobili never made another field goal and was oftentimes too sloppy when attempting to orchestrate the offense. On defense, while I really liked Ginobili's tenacity on the defensive glass, I was disappointed in his decision-making on that end of the court. Asked to defend Gordon Hayward most of the time, Ginobili spent way too much time wandering away from Utah's only scoring swingman. When Hayward got the ball, he either had an open jumper or the Spurs were forced to scramble to cover him, which led directly to a number of fouls. It didn't hurt San Antonio much this game but when Ginobili has the Hayward assignment, he has to realize that's the one player on the Jazz that can't be ignored on the perimeter. Roaming off of Hayward to get a few steals simply isn't worth it.
    I feel like a C+ is a little harsh and can see Manu with a solid B. While he tapered off after that hot start, those passes to Splitter (with the missed layup, and Blair) kept the crowd in the game and a lot of energy in the building. When he came off the bench the Spurs were flat to say the least, then he comes in and throws those 2 dunks down and suddenly the place was rocking and it was as if Manu was saying "THIS is what a healthy Manu does in the playoffs"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harris only averaged 27.6 minutes per game. It was even lower than that before Earl Watson got hurt.

Truth is, Harris is best suited to be more of a spark plug than a starter. He is good at bursts of production but doesn't really have the stamina to hold up over the course of a game. He can get hot (like he did in April) and win a playoff series but Harris is never going to have much success playing 82 games and the playoffs in a high-minute, high-usage role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rewatching the game, here are some extra notes:

-When Bonner dribbles, his court vision disappears. He missed Tiago WIDE open in the first half and Jack even WIDER open in the second half.
    I noticed that too.

I watched in horror during the first half, as Bonner was dribbled into the paint, turned his back to the lane, while Splitter was standing under the basket wide open! In fact, I was screaming vociferously at my TV - as if he could hear me.

You bring up a good point because this is going to be critical as the better defensive teams will continue to push Bonner off the 3-pt line. Even though he's evolved his game to incorporate both a dribble drive technique and a running hook - in fact he seems to enjoy it a bit - he STILL needs to keep his head up. Look for open teammates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades! I ran out of memory on my DVR and and I had the box on the wrong channel so I didn't get to rewind to catch the last few minutes : (.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Manu said, the Spurs hardly played brilliant, but in the end, they were never seriously in danger of losing the game. That's good enough for starters, especially if you haven't exactly been wildly successful in Game 1 over the last couple of years.

Leonard and Green looked a bit timid at times, but that's not too unusual considering it's basically the first playoff game for both of them, and at least they didn't try to force anything.

A couple of things in the first half that were not so good:
    - Too many offensive boards for the Jazz. The Spurs are normally much better than that.
    - Too many fastbreak points for Utah. That should actually be the other way round.
    - Not much success from downtown (well, this can always happen).
    But basically, the Spurs corrected most of those issues in the second half already, so no worries so far.

Decent start to the playoffs, now take care of business in Game 2, guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having Jax out there is like having two Manu's out there.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    green and kawhi didnt look ready for the big time, hopefully wed

Thread Information