Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center*
    Broadcast: Pay-per-view, FX and Facebook*

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson (for light-heavyweight le)
    Jake Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron
    Dennis Siver vs. Eddie Yagin
    Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares
    John Lineker vs. Yasuhiro Uru ani

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)

Danny Castillo vs. Michael Johnson
    Jeff Hougland vs. Takeya Mizugaki
    Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo
    Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)

Shane Roller vs. Jacob Volkmann
    Charlie Brenneman vs. Kyle Noke

Last edited by dbreiden83080; 08-23-2012 at 03:05 PM.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count

ty cards like this is one of the many reasons I don't watch much MMA anymore. But considering Dan Henderson's about to whoop Jon Jones' ass, I guess I'll have to make an exception.

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    I've lost all respect for Jon Jones after he said that it was okay for him and Silva to dodge each other because they are both in pursuit of greatness and he doesn't want to take a chance on either of them losing their "greatness." That's some false pride, youngin. He had no problem saying he'd fight his friend Rashad, but he seems to think that any road to greatness doesn't go thru Silva. I thought Jones was about honor and respect, but he holds a dude like Silva in such high esteem...I dunno, he's just too fake and I hope old man Dan knocks him the out.

RT @UFCTonight: #Breaking: @joshkoscheck has bulging disc in his back. He’s out of #UFC151. No new opponent for @EllenbergerMMA

Post Count
    RT @UFCTonight: #Breaking: @joshkoscheck has bulging disc in his back. He’s out of #UFC151. No new opponent for @EllenbergerMMA

Was not crazy about that one anyway. Kos is coming to the end. Wonder who they will get on 3 weeks notice..

I've lost all respect for Jon Jones after he said that it was okay for him and Silva to dodge each other because they are both in pursuit of greatness and he doesn't want to take a chance on either of them losing their "greatness." That's some false pride, youngin. He had no problem saying he'd fight his friend Rashad, but he seems to think that any road to greatness doesn't go thru Silva. I thought Jones was about honor and respect, but he holds a dude like Silva in such high esteem...I dunno, he's just too fake and I hope old man Dan knocks him the out.
    Ouch..

I have to say where did all this hype come from with Jones and Silva needing to fight? Jones is not only young, he is young into his reign as champion. The timing for me is off for that fight. The GSP/Silva fight would be far more historic given that GSP is the GOAT WW and Anderson is the GOAT MW. Silva's camp is making serious noise about that fight now that Sonnen is out of the way and we may finally get it at a catchweight after the Condit fight..

I am excited for the Jones/Hendo fight because it is a true test for Jones, Hendo is a legend and still a complete beast at 41 years of age. While i expect Jones to basically walk through him it's still an exciting matchup and great name for him to have on his resume..

Jay Hieron rejoins the UFC, meets Jake Ellenberger at UFC 151’

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30092/jay-...at-ufc-151.mma

Post Count
    Jay Hieron rejoins the UFC, meets Jake Ellenberger at UFC 151’

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30092/jay-...at-ufc-151.mma
    LOL OMG..

Lame Dana.. Lame...

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    So many welters in UFc and they bring Hieron

Post Count
    Obviously nobody wanted the fight on the roster this close to the card..

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    Ouch..

I have to say where did all this hype come from with Jones and Silva needing to fight? Jones is not only young, he is young into his reign as champion. The timing for me is off for that fight. The GSP/Silva fight would be far more historic given that GSP is the GOAT WW and Anderson is the GOAT MW. Silva's camp is making serious noise about that fight now that Sonnen is out of the way and we may finally get it at a catchweight after the Condit fight..

I am excited for the Jones/Hendo fight because it is a true test for Jones, Hendo is a legend and still a complete beast at 41 years of age. While i expect Jones to basically walk through him it's still an exciting matchup and great name for him to have on his resume..
    I know that rant was kinda bitter, but Jones is so fake and his at ude has changed so much from when I was riding shotgun on the hype train. GSP vs Silva...not interested in watching Silva beat GSP, last fight showed how good his guard actually is and no way could GSP could hold him down for 5 rounds. Silva's made a career of beating up the "best" MWs, but the whole weight class is full of rejects from other weight classes. He's the greatest MW for sure, but it don't mean much when he's easily capable of having the LHW le. Silva = the dude that bangs 100 average looking chicks just to increase his conquests. A guy like Randy Coutre goes for dime pieces every time haha.

Also, Hieron has a win over Jake, so it sort of makes sense. But yea, much rather have Kos fighting even tho he acts like a jerk haha.

Post Count
    I just don't see how Jones needs to fight Silva or the other way around. Jones has a lot to prove at 205 and then he will likely go up to HW. Silva has really nothing left to prove whatsoever. He is already viewed as the GOAT. Silva doesn't need to fight GSP but MMA does. I stand bye what i said about GSP/Silva being the most historically significant matchup to be made. MMA history needs fights like that to be rich in history one day like boxing. GSP has been on top forever at WW as has Silva at MW that is the sexiest fight to make at a catchweight. Who wins doesn't matter i am just talking history here...

Post Count
    UFC 151: All the Pressure Is on Jon Jones When He Faces Dan Henderson

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-dan-henderson

Nobody will be expecting much out of Dan Henderson when he makes his latest long, lonely walk to the Octagon on September 1 to face Jon Jones.

That's not a slight on Henderson, though I can see how it might be taken that way. It's just that Jones has, in a very short amount of time, utterly and completely decimated the light heavyweight landscape and rendered all challengers inept and ineffective.

Jones' dominance is such that his staggering advantage over his opponents can't even be blamed on the opponents. Not anymore. Dan Henderson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Shogun Rua are still excellent fighters, even if some of them are just a tad bit past their primes. And in a world where Jon Jones didn't exist, all four of them would have a very real chance of holding that light heavyweight belt.

And so it's easy for me to point out that all of the pressure in the world is riding on Jones heading into the Henderson fight. And you know I'm right, too.

On top of all the hype regarding Jones—he's already considered one of the top three fighters in the entire world at the young age of 24 years old—he's also on the precipice of becoming the most public mainstream face of mixed martial arts, having just signed the first-ever global endorsement deal with Nike for a mixed martial artist.

That's a lot of weight on your shoulders, whether you think you can carry it or not. And perhaps Jones can carry it with ease. He has the supreme confidence—some might call it arrogance—of the greatest athletes in the history of sport.

Michael Jordan had the same swagger. He knew he was better than you, and he'd actually get angry when you attempted to beat him, like you had the nerve to try to compete with the best in the world. The anger made him want to decimate you even further, and then he'd make you pay in spades.

Jones has it. He has the preternatural athletic ability. He has youth. He has marketability.

And that's why all of the pressure rests squarely on his shoulders heading into UFC 151: Because a loss would send it all crashing down, just as he's starting to reach a transcendent level in the sport. It wouldn't be the end of his career or even a major glitch. But it'd be a setback all the same.

Jones gets a lot of hate from fans, for being arrogant and for his out-of-the-cage transgressions. Sure, he could be a lot less vocal about his personal life, because we've seen all of that talk come back to haunt him over the past six months. But every great person in life—every person who has ever accomplished anything special or out of the ordinary—was probably a bit of a jerk, because the inner drive that allows you to be great at something also forces you to overlook other aspects of your life.

Jones can be one of those people who truly accomplishes something great. I don't care about his personal life, because what he does on his own time and his own dime doesn't concern me in the slightest.

The only thing I care about is what I see in the cage, and what I've seen thus far has all the shades of greatness

Last edited by ace3g; 08-13-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Post Count
    Nice promo.. I am skipping 150 but buying 151..

Post Count
    Henderson goin to get destroyed, Jones is too athletic and Henderson is too old. Maybe if Henderson was in his prime then this would be a great fight.

Post Count
    On to this now.

Should be a good promotion..

Post Count
    Jones has really let Sonnen get under his skin..

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30278/ufc-...-is-a-joke.mma

"That guy is a joke [...] He mentions Brazilian kids playing with dirt while American kids play with normal toys. He talks about people's parents and families and wives. He's a bona fide bully. The Brazilian thing, I lost a lot of respect for him. What he said was racist. It was disrespectful and unacceptable. I have a strong stance on this because I hate what he's doing. You can't just insult a whole country like that. ... It was terrible. As Americans, we should have been embarrassed by what he did."

Quote:

"It's what he wants, but I'm not going to allow him to get a le fight from talking. It's not going to happen. Chael Sonnen will not get a le fight from using his mouth. I will make it very clear to everyone that there's people who are way more deserving of a shot. If he wants to come at 205, I'd consider him Top 15 among light heavyweights. Let's see what he'll do against a wrestler like Phil Davis. Let's see what he'd do against a wrestler like Rashad or a striker like Lyoto Machida. ... The light-heavyweight division is a completely different beast. I won't allow him to just jump the rankings with his mouth. It's not going to happen."

Sonnen vs Bones was written in stone ever since their first twitter war, only a matter of time.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    Seen this a million times before. Sonnen's going to come running out of the back and start climbing the cage, Jones will get distracted, Henderson will take the opportunity to climb out and win the belt while that happens. Jones/Sonnen will be the main event at Survivor Series.

Wait, what?

Seriously though, the only way that happens any time soon would have to be a series of events worthy of the WWE. Bones would have to lose to Henderson, preferably due to some miscue or mental mistake that Henderson exploits into a dramatic KO early; the sort of thing that Chael would immediately start claiming credit for because his getting into Jones' head caused that lack of focus. Then Sonnen has to handle Forrest convincingly; like the way he ran through Brian Stann sort of convincing. It's a long shot but too entertaining of an idea not to at least entertain it. You know Dana White gets a massive wallet boner just thinking about it.

Post Count
    If jones is all about the money now like he says, he should be glad that chael is calling him out and stop being a about it.

If jones is all about the money now like he says, he should be glad that chael is calling him out and stop being a about it.
    good point

Post Count

That fight would only sell a little better than Jones/Hendo or his fight with Rampage. I love Sonnen but his routine is now over and done with as a major box office draw. He sold himself as the only man that could beat the GOAT by pushing him to the brink in fight 1 and all the talking he did for 2 years afterwards. The rematch sold over 1 million PPV’s and they all saw Sonnen lose badly. Nobody walked away from that fight thinking Sonnen lived up to all that talk.. I think most would just regard Sonnen as a mouth now with very little bite. Plus Jones consistently is a huge favorite over everyone he faces these days. A great talker can sell a fight but the tipping point for the public needs to be if the outcome is in doubt. Sonnen would have absolutely nothing for Jones and the public would know that...

Thread Information