Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does not know what else to say.

However, the hard foul IS a solution over the course of a series to neutralize a team that is too dependent on one player scoring inside, be it through drives to the basket or post play. I remember the year Phoenix went to the finals against the Bulls, and the Bulls somewhat neutralized Barkley by simply beating him up. He scored, but the toll on him was noticeable.

Since we have plenty of other scorers, we can spread out the drives between tony and other players, and mitigate against tony taking too many hits. Then, they will foul out trying to hit sjax, green, leonard, manu, tony, and neal going into the lane off cuts or pick-n-roll.

If we only had manu and tony, fouling hard over a series could effect us to be a concern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yo bounty clown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    doesn't Harris know that the Lakers resulted to that tactic all those early 2000s series and one of them ended up with Kobe crying on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After Blake gave Ginobili a hard foul Jackson went after steve telling him off and Blake just backed away from him, not a single hard foul towards ginobili the rest of the game from blake after that.
    and this whole sequence happened after blake was trying to beat on gino on the other end.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    imo It was dumb of him to blurt it out to the media. Now the Spurs (and possibly, the referees) are going to take a closer look at their fouls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    time for Blair to take one for the team and "bump" Harris about 20 feet.
    He is too nice for something like this. Just because they have similar builds, we are not talking about antoine carr here.

Oh I loved having the Big Dawg as one of our players.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not too worried about a guy trying to sag and look like a thuggish painter while posing with an Omega Mu and drinking an Apple Martini

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harris saying "Let's you and him go fight"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Tony Parker unfazed by Devin Harris' promise of "a hard foul or two" in Game 2.

Parker: "It's not the first time someone has said that. My answer is always going to be the same. I'm going to keep coming."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a good PPV match. Come on WWE, make it happen...

Bear Hug Defense
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I would suggest Harris work on his shot selection. He looked like a disgruntled Mike Bibby on Sunday.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Harris for prepping the refs to call the next "hard foul" a flagrant 2 and eject the player. Now you have given them something to anticipate.

And just so you know, it's not the first time Tony Parker has dominated in the paint and needed a "hard foul." It's never stopped him before. Don't think it will make much difference now.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably sounded scarier when Carlos Boozer announced it to the media during the '07 playoffs. Worked like a charm though. Parker had like 15 points and 15 assists in the close-out game against them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harris saying "Let's you and him go fight"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin Harris doesn't have on Parker anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    doesn't Harris know that the Lakers resulted to that tactic all those early 2000s series and one of them ended up with Kobe crying on the bench.
    Unfortunately after game 2 of 2004 against the Lakers that's exactly what Karl Malone said and did and it worked. Devin Harris != Karl Malone though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Karl Malone say: Devin, call me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a good thing Harris said something like that

Now the Spurs are pissed for the rest of the playoffs

Watch out, NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some players do it without telling it to the media. That effin Blake Griffin does it all the time and the referers simply ignore it because he's the superstar. Just pay attenttion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before the Jazz practiced Tuesday morning, coach Tyrone Corbin compared Parker to Hall of Famer John Stockton, as far as being a control-the-game point guard.

"You look back when we had Stock here — how much he had the ball in his hands and how much everything fed off what he did with the ball," Corbin said. "Same with [Parker]. He is the guy for them. Ginobili and Duncan are great players and they are a huge part of what they do. But it all starts with Tony and him having the ball."

So how can the Jazz slow Parker, who quarterbacked the second-highest scoring team in the league this season?

"We have to give him different looks," Corbin said, "... whether that’s [focusing] on him or trying to take something else away at different times. You can’t give him a steady dose of the same thing or he’ll pick you apart."

The Jazz must do a better job of battling the screens — usually set by Duncan — that are so effective at getting Parker the bit of daylight he needs to break down the defense.

"You don’t know what side they are coming from," Utah’s Jamaal Tinsley said. "You don’t know what angle they are coming from. ... As guards, we have to put more pressure on the ball and not worry about where the screens are coming from. And our ‘bigs’ have to do a lot of talking."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...guard.html.csp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way to stop him is to pack the paint and run the shooters of the line.
    Because the Jazz have 10 players on the floor at the same time to get that done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before the Jazz practiced Tuesday morning, coach Tyrone Corbin compared Parker to Hall of Famer John Stockton, as far as being a control-the-game point guard.

"You look back when we had Stock here — how much he had the ball in his hands and how much everything fed off what he did with the ball," Corbin said. "Same with [Parker]. He is the guy for them. Ginobili and Duncan are great players and they are a huge part of what they do. But it all starts with Tony and him having the ball."

So how can the Jazz slow Parker, who quarterbacked the second-highest scoring team in the league this season?

"We have to give him different looks," Corbin said, "... whether that’s [focusing] on him or trying to take something else away at different times. You can’t give him a steady dose of the same thing or he’ll pick you apart."

The Jazz must do a better job of battling the screens — usually set by Duncan — that are so effective at getting Parker the bit of daylight he needs to break down the defense.

"You don’t know what side they are coming from," Utah’s Jamaal Tinsley said. "You don’t know what angle they are coming from. ... As guards, we have to put more pressure on the ball and not worry about where the screens are coming from. And our ‘bigs’ have to do a lot of talking."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...guard.html.csp
    Funny stuff. What, Corbin never heard of Parker before that 1st playoff game? If he has the answer to Tony, why did he need a refresher on what Tony does?

I always find it funny when opposing coaches pretend to know how to stop a guy like Tony, Tim, Kobe, Lebron, anyone like that. I understand game to game tweaks, but Corbin seems to imply that no one knew Tony would pick you apart if you gave him looks, but then Tony wasn't given looks, he took them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Parker: "It's not the first time someone has said that. My answer is always going to be the same. I'm going to keep coming."
    TP has come a long way since the '04 Laker series.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the Jazz have 10 players on the floor at the same time to get that done.
    Yeah actually. I was just going to say that while that is a sound strategy I don't think the Jazz have the personnel for it.

Thread Information