My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Gervins Afro
    Gays people want the same benefits of hetrosexual people. The right says they don't deserve it. There is nothing leftist about wanting equal rights.
    George I'm just picking your quote as a for-instance. The idea of gays having the same rights as married heteros has been brought up many times.

I've got a position on health care and other employment benefits enjoyed strictly by marrieds and in some cases gays. Gays being the "domestic partner" or some other term used thus they qualify for benefits.

Why shouldn't longtime established roomies and or shirtail relatives who live together be able to utilize the same? In this economy lots of people have roomed together -sometimes for years- in successfully teaming up incomes to make ends meet. Why shouldn't they be allowed to choose one roomie to share in employment benefits the same as marrieds and gays can? (some places gays can).

Sure it could be open to corruption and would need to have boundaries. But isn't the married and gays benefit structure also open to corruption? For that matter we've heard of two opposite sex flamers who pose as married and live together so as to blend in with their society/business/whatever.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If two hetero guys want to get married legally (not just co-habit to save rent) for the full benefits of being married, do you really think that would be widely abused?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If two hetero guys want to get married legally (not just co-habit to save rent) for the full benefits of being married, do you really think that would be widely abused?
    No. But as it stands now two hetero guys (be they drinking buddies, sports buddies, co workers or simply economically combining and nothing else) cannot share the benefits of Hetero1 guys job with benefitss. Whereas two marrieds or two flamers (some places) can.

Q. Is not the gov't def of nuclear family (man-woman-married with or without kids) now surpassed in the U.S. by non nuclear family percentagewise?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. But as it stands now two hetero guys (be they drinking buddies, sports buddies, co workers or simply economically combining and nothing else) cannot share the benefits of Hetero1 guys job with benefitss. Whereas two marrieds or two flamers (some places) can.

Q. Is not the gov't def of nuclear family (man-woman-married with or without kids) now surpassed in the U.S. by non nuclear family percentagewise?
    How exactly do you propose they prove the guys aren't gay? Ask one to blow the other one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yes. Altho rare, I'll bet in states and/or localities that have flamers rights for benefits there is more then one set of guys posing as flamers -simply for the benefits. I repeat, rare due to the stigma but I'm sure it's happening. Probably much more so with lesbo posuers since far less stigma. Lipstick lezzers enjoy not only no persecution but favoritizm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly do you propose they prove the guys aren't gay? Ask one to blow the other one?
    My proposal eliminates any would-be posing as gay.
    Make a legit roomate able to receive the same benefits as marrieds and flamer partners (some places) now get.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "a legit roomate"

what is the legal/regulatory (IRS, SS, for-profit-insurance, etc) definition of a "legit" roommate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those companies that do have "domestic partner" benefits make no mention of a romantic relationship (that I have seen). They just require proof of co-habitation, if I remember correctly (my wife and I took advantage before we were married).

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why should the government be involved in marriage at all?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those companies that do have "domestic partner" benefits make no mention of a romantic relationship (that I have seen). They just require proof of co-habitation, if I remember correctly (my wife and I took advantage before we were married).
    That

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why should the government be involved in marriage at all?
    One of the people i know facing this had a gov't job. He and roomie would have had to "declare" they were more then just roomies even tho they were hetero. This was several years ago, not sure if the rules have changed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those companies that do have "domestic partner" benefits make no mention of a romantic relationship (that I have seen). They just require proof of co-habitation,........
    yes this is what i am advocating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes this is what i am advocating.
    ok, well it is already invented.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    One of the people i know facing this had a gov't job. He and roomie would have had to "declare" they were more then just roomies even tho they were hetero. This was several years ago, not sure if the rules have changed.
    But that's all they would have had to do: say it. I very briefly had a best friend as a roommate a few years ago and I joined her benefits as a domestic partner with little more than my name and social security number. Unless things have really changed in the last few years, which is of course possible, domestic partnership benefits aren't dependent upon a legal declaration (such as a marriage or civil union) and no one knocks on your front door so they can watch you . All you really have to do is be willing to have some piece of paper somewhere saying you and your same sex roommate are domestic partners.

Which is no doubt terrifying for a lot of folks, and therefore acts as a deterrent.

Thread Information