New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    He graduated

Too soon?

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Yes such harsh penalties for the 26 players Godel says he had the goods on.
    Godel?

Is that a multi-nickname?

Yes such harsh penalties for the 26 players Godel says he had the goods on.
    Shut the up you got

You're a disgrace to Charger fans

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Cardinals
    Post Count
    I cannot believe Adam Schefter going to twitter and citing that Seau was never officially listed as having suffered a concussion. He knows full-well the atmosphere of the NFL for a long time saw "head injuries" go unchecked, undiagnosed, hidden and completely swept under the rug because players feared their teammates opinions of toughness more than any long-term side effect.

How many WWII veterans would acknowledge suffering from battle fatigue/s shock/Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Different generation, different climate, different way of these things being dealt with/worked through.

Also, a concussion itself is a side effect. It's a symptom. I wish they would talk more about sub-concussions. Can't see them, as they have very little immediate symptoms, but with time, they can be devastating.

Think about all the hits Seau leveled. Regardless of whether or not he was ever officially listed, Seau, playing at the level he did for as long as he did at the position he did most certainly suffered forms of head trauma. Regardless of whether it caused the suicide, CTE enables depression, so any other peripheral cir stances that give cause for depression would only further the slide.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    They are saying self inflicted gun shot wound to the chest. Speculation is that he intended to do that in order preserve his brain the way Duerson did last year so it can be studied.

He also reportedly texted his family yesterday to say that he loved them.

Damn
    Damn

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Playing NFL football is so bad for you. What's the average life span of an NFL player? 50? Considering how little money most guys make it's not even worth it imo.
    Same in the NHL

Just look at what happened last summer, all those dedicated fighters who committed suicide

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Crazy. RIP.

Tankin'
    My Team
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Post Count
    Same in the NHL

Just look at what happened last summer, all those dedicated fighters who committed suicide

I didn't know anything about that. I haven't followed hockey since I stopped playing when I was like 18. Which enforcers killed themselves?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/#!/brendon310/st...66188162498562
    Brendon Ayanbadejo

Jr Seau asked in his suicide letter that his brain be researched to prevent tragic incidents from happening to NFL retirees #champion

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    RIP.
    I'll miss driving down the strand in Oceanside seeing him on his balcony playing his uekelele.

RIP.
    I'll miss driving down the strand in Oceanside seeing him on his balcony playing his uekelele.
    Someone on my facebook stated they saw Seau in front of his place yesterday waiving to everyone & being the happiest guy

I live probably 10 minutes from Seau

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    I didn't know anything about that. I haven't followed hockey since I stopped playing when I was like 18. Which enforcers killed themselves?
    Bob Probert

Wade Belak

Derek Boogard

Rick Rypien

This one blows my mind. I have zero clue why I thought "no, not Seau, he wouldn't kill himself" but never the less he did. I don't know the man. All I knows he played football my entire adult life, was good at it, didn't want to stop playing( i thought because he loved it), had 3 kids, married, rich and stayed out of trouble. Regardless on why it happened, one thing will happen. The NFL will look a heck of a lot more into the brain damage it's work causes. Parents will do more research on this sport they are sending there kids into play. The guy might have a ton of reasons other than football to kill himself but for now, all eyes are on the harm this sport causes. God bless

Post Count
    As mentioned, the life expectancy of NFL players is damn short. And it's a tough call if you're NFL-quality talent, if football is what you do best, but not as a regular starter or if you're a reserve lineman. Lineman have short life expectancy not only because of the contact but the size issue. Being 6'5" and 300 lbs, you can only live so long.

I played football as a kid and through high school but I can't imagine adding 4 years of college and a 10-20 year professional career on top of that. Unless you're making a load of money as one of the top players on the team, especially as a quarterback where you'll be hit in the head less often, it can be hard to justify an NFL career. You will suffer concussions, it's unavoidable. Same goes for boxing and MMA. I guess it's those that make it don't really give this subject must thought because they don't have many other promising options.
    Last edited by ALVAREZ6; 05-02-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Post Count
    To add to that, I never understood how pro hockey players don't wear face cages...it blows my mind. In high school, and I would imagine in college, but it's a guess because I don't know much about hockey, people wear cages on the helmets. If I were in the NHL I'd do the same thing. I've worn cages playing roller hockey as a kid and never thought it obstructed my vision.

I just don't understand how it's the norm to leave your face (including eyes) completely exposed to large men skating around at high speeds, checking you into boards at high speeds with a lot of momentum, swinging wooden sticks at high speeds, and relatively heavy pucks flying around at very high speeds. Seems suicidal to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Strzelczyk

The night before he died, he called up old friends to make peace. These friends later stated that Justin ranted about the "devil", "doctors who controlled people with anti-depressants" and "evil people in Pittsburgh". Justin's ex-wife and others maintain that he never sought medical help, however some friends stated that Justin consulted health professionals about what he perceived as his own bipolar disorder. This was a stressful time for Justin, he was still struggling still with his divorce, his ex-wife was engaged to remarry, his football career was over, he was struggling with sobriety, and he had just opened a new business. He had also purchased new family headstone a few months earlier.[2]
    Justin was supposed to arrive in Orchard Park, New York for a fund-raiser that weekend. He packed only the $2,600-plus in cash and some crucifixes. His cell phone was left at his home.[2] He died in a car crash in Herkimer, New York, when he hit a tank truck while driving 90 miles per hour (140 km/h) against the flow of traffic to evade capture by the police. He was 36.[3]
    Concussion theory

It was initially thought that Strzelczyk was under the influence of alcohol or drugs due to his irrational behavior, but this was disproved by toxicity tests. A post-mortem autopsy revealed that he had suffered from brain damage, possibly due to his years of playing football.[4]
    This incident helped start a debate about the seriousness of concussions at the National Football League Summit, in June 2007. There, Bennet Omalu, a Pittsburgh neuropathologist, linked the deaths Strzelczyk and three other retired NFL players to brain damage from football. Those cases involved former Philadelphia Eagles safety Andre Waters and former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive linemen; Mike Webster and Terry Long. Waters and Long committed suicide; Webster died of a heart attack, but suffered from severe mental problems in his later life. Omalu says each death followed a similar line: football concussions, lead to brain damage similar to dementia pugilistica (also known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy) in boxers, leading to clinical depression. It was previously thought to only exist in boxers and steeplechase jockeys.[5] In 2007, Justin's mother, Mary Strzelczyk, has gave Dr. Bennet Omalu, permission to examine Justin's brain.[6]

Divorce in many circles is better than death. Think about it. God bless

My Team
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Post Count
    Seeing his mother break down like this tugs at your heart.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7407284n

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Sorry, I can't feel sorry for a guy who had millions and fame who decides to kill himself.
    Try living the lives most of us have to live.

There are thousands of NFL players that have concussions who don't kill themselves. It was a selfish act. He didn't care about the people he would hurt like his mother.

Post Count
    Sorry, I can't feel sorry for a guy who had millions and fame who decides to kill himself.

There are thousands of NFL players that have concussions who don't kill themselves. It was a selfish act. He didn't care about the people he would hurt like his mother.
    Very valid points.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

I can understand that, especially when people will try to make him look like a victim and the NFL the villain, when these guys CHOOSE to play the game.

Thread Information