ambchang is my bitch Daddy_Of_All_Trolls's Avatar
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Man, this lockout has me totally bummed, nothing but speculation what's going to happen. Then, out of the blue, this hit me. Whenever Phil Jackson leaves the NBA, something good happens to the Spurs. So, enjoy this thread and it's possibility of history repeating.

1969-70: Phil didn't play all year due to injury, but he was along with the Knicks all season under contract. Nothing great seemed to happen to the Dallas Chapperals that season, so Phil being with his team may have negated anything good that year. Or maybe it's because they weren't the Spurs yet.

1980-81: Phil retired as a player with the Nets in 1980. Spurs equaled their best regular season mark of 52-30 and could have made the finals, but the Houston Rockets upset them in 7 games. San Antonio would have cakewalked against the Kansas City Kings in the WCF, who had just upset the Suns. If you consider Johnny Moore a valuable player in your team history, he was a rookie that year. Not bad for a new team in the NBA. It gets better.

1998-99: Phil out as coach for the Bulls, Spurs win the NBA championship.

2004-05: Phil out as coach of the Lakers. Spurs win the NBA championship.

2010-11: Phil out as coach for the Lakers. Ok, you see where this is going....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fail....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will be a good team, but we are not going to win any championship with the talent level we have.

We will never win any championship with Bonner and Blair getting lots of playing time. Not to mention ageing Duncan and Manu and inconsistent Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people weren't sure we'd make the playoffs last year, and we had the best record in the league. That's different from winning a le, but I wouldn't completely write them off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil just quits when the going gets tough.

If someone has a team that is a sure juggernaut, Phil would be happy to sit in his high chair and be spoon fed another championship. Don't expect Phil to try to develop that team though. That's not Phil's deal.

So, Juggernaut teams like the Bulls and Lakers were are right up Phil's alley. Teams like the 2004 Pistons and the 4 ring Spurs aren't even slightly attractive to Phil, because he would be required to make coaching decisions, and the only way he would ever see a ring would be if he was able to coach his way past the obstacles. Without unlimited funding, Phil would be basically Doug Collins only not as savvy.

Spurs Own Pistons Fo Shizzle GO SPurs Go's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey OP can you change your sig please?
    Thx

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    this is a bit of a reach

Duncan>Ginobili>Rodman SpurSpurSpurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'Twas really annoying.

Hey OP can you change your sig please?
    Thx

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Phil just quits when the going gets tough.
    That's a bit too simplified. He fails to develop young players, relying on pre-positioned stars before accepting a job, and rides the team into the ground. At THAT point, he jumps ship.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understand the need for people to always criticize Phil Jackson for having star players. People like to say he won't develop a team without stars. At the same time there are lot of coaches who can't win consistently when they have the expectations to win. Jackson's record of 40+ playoff wins when he gets the first game shows he can.

Popovich has had 4 tries to repeat and never done it. People who have done it say it's alot harder to repeat. In 2005 people were jealous of the Spurs since after winning a championship they were getting Finley and Van Excel. Two years ago people were saying they had the best Spurs team in a while with the additions of Jefferson and McDyess. Pop famously said he should be fired if they didn't win it all. If anything I would have to say that Pop can't win with the expectations.

ambchang is my bitch Daddy_Of_All_Trolls's Avatar
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I've been pretty ill the last several months and have't been here, but I remembered this thread. Bookmark it!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will be a good team, but we are not going to win any championship with the talent level we have.

We will never win any championship with Bonner and Blair getting lots of playing time. Not to mention ageing Duncan and Manu and inconsistent Parker.
    meh. people probably said the same about a team who had avery johnson as a PG, or Jaren Jackson getting key minutes, or even a sf like Bowen who had limited offensive skill set. You can always find something.

Thread Information