Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year, the Spurs have had 3 winning streaks of 11 or more games. Their current streak sits at 13 games, and is very likely to move to 14 in the next game against Utah. So just how rare a feat is that?

Over the last 10 seasons, there have only been 46 streaks of 11 or more games in the NBA. In that same time, there have only been 22 streaks of 13 or more games. And only 12 streaks of 14 or more games. (Should they win against Utah, and then win the first game of Round 2 at home - there have only been 6 streaks of 15 games or more.)

How many other teams have had two wining streaks of 11 or more in the same season, over the last decade? Surprisingly, two - Phoenix and Boston. But this year's Spurs are the only team in the last decade to have three 11+ game winning streaks in a single season.

Most of the long streaks (11+ games) on the list took place between November and February, and weren't a great predictor of playoff success. But the few teams with long streaks nearer the end of the season tended to make it at least to their conference finals. The notable exception to that being the 03-04 Spurs, who had a 17 game streak that lasted from 3/25 until 5/5, but then got knocked out in the semi-finals by the notorious .4 shot.

Long winning streaks are hard to come by. A team has to be both in the zone and focused to keep from dropping the occasional contest here or there along the way. And putting together a long streak early in the season is much easier, because a lot of teams are still experimenting to find lineups, and develop chemistry. Late in the season, the playoff-bound teams have solidified, and those long streaks become much more rare. For those who still have doubts about this year's Spurs, remember that no other team in the last decade has had 3 streaks that long in the same season.

That doesn't make this team a lock to win it all, by any means. But it's a pretty good indicator that we will at least see them in the WCF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recall Houston winning 22 in a row several years back sans Yao and I think even McGrady. They didn't go far though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recall Houston winning 22 in a row several years back sans Yao and I think even McGrady. They didn't go far though.
    Most of that streak was in January and February. They lost Yao at the end of February. And even though the streak went on several games after that, their season was essentially over.

So, yeah, if we lose Duncan, the Spurs' streaks won't mean anything either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it doesn't matter one bit, winning streaks ultimately depend quite a bit of the schedule and the repar ion of the tougher opponents.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember that too. They had Battier, alston, luther head, abrooks might have been there as a rookie. And i couldnt figure out how they did it. Was it 06?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me tell you something. The Spurs haven't even begun to peak. And when they do peak, you'll know. Because they're gonna peak so hard that everyone in San Antonio is gonna feel it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember that too. They had Battier, alston, luther head, abrooks might have been there as a rookie. And i couldnt figure out how they did it. Was it 06?
    That's right. I remember that too. It was 08. They lost in the 1st round to Utah that year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was 08. They had Yao for the first 13 games of the streak, I think. Then they hit a soft spot in the schedule, with a bunch of teams well under .500, and the Lakers without Pau. Carl Landry and Luther Head went nuts in several of those games, too. Scola and Battier probably played the best ball of their careers. But those guys just got worn down by the time the playoffs came around. Like I said, the streak lived a little longer, but the season was over when they lost Yao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't give a crap about winning streaks, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it doesn't matter one bit, winning streaks ultimately depend quite a bit of the schedule and the repar ion of the tougher opponents.

If you look at the short list of teams who have had streaks that long, it's far from meaningless. Seven or eight games, maybe. But the teams that have put up streaks of 11 or more have pretty much all been solid contenders. The only exceptions are teams that get destroyed by injuries, after the streak. Houston got mentioned above. Portland had a 13 game streak in December, but then lost Brandon Roy.

Teams lose focus and stumble once in a while. Only the very good teams seem to be able to avoid it for that many games. And when you talk about scheduling, don't forget that one of the Spurs' 11 game streaks this season included 8 games on the road - and it only ended because of the forfeit in Portland. (The game before that streak was a 1 point OT loss in Dallas.) And 6 of those 11 games were against teams that are still playing. That's about as tough as scheduling gets.

I agree that it's no guarantee. But it's a long way from insignificant. And the main reason I brought it up is because I've heard several people over the last few days doubting that we could get past LA or OKC. , if Denver can play the Lakers as close as they have, the Spurs can definitely put them away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't give a crap about winning streaks, tbh...
    And I don't give a crap about your opinion, tbh, fwiw, lmao, f u.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this year's Spurs are the only team in the last decade to have three 11+ game winning streaks in a single season.
    I thought that was the case but thanks for confirming it

Interesting other info. While obviously winning streaks don't guarantee a championship, it does help paint a picture of how dominant this team has been thus far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, I respect all the research done on your part to come up with these numbers.

But really, the only win-loss ratio that counts is the one with 16-?.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was bored and curious to see how many quarters have been won during the current streak. There have been 52 quarters played over the last 13 games. The Spurs have won 38 of them and tied another 4. Of the 10 lost the worst quarter came against Memphis and we lost by 10. The next worst quarter happened a couple of times and we lost by 5.

Against Utah, The Jazz have managed to win 1 quarter and tie 2 others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans scoff the Spurs' own accomplishments and then cry when the national media doesn't recognize the Spurs' accomplishments. You can't have it both ways, fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then cry when the national media doesn't recognize the Spurs' accomplishments.
    Not me, fwiw...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans scoff the Spurs' own accomplishments and then cry when the national media doesn't recognize the Spurs' accomplishments. You can't have it both ways, fwiw.
    Why you say that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome thread, let's hope the streak continues

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are like a half dozen threads per day with Spurs fans whining about how some national hack disrespected the Spurs or asking why the Spurs weren't mentioned or otherwise emoing about the Spurs being ignored. Then it gets pointed out that the Spurs accomplished something that no team has done in 30+ years (if ever) and the reaction is a collective yawn for the most part.

Those two reactions don't really make much sense to me, tbh. If Spurs fan is only going to care about whether or not the Spurs win a championship, that's fine ... but then they also shouldn't care if no one else in the sporting world recognizes what they are currently doing.

Fwiw, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a great accomplishment, but I think anyone who remembers 2004 is likely to want to avoid getting too caught up in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First off, GSH with the goods.

Next, major props to TiMVP for laying the wood where/when it's sorely needed.

Yah 16 wins in the postseason is what we want...Spurs have done it 3 times and so has every other champion in the last 10 years....

But - what GSH's stats reveal is that this 2012 Spurs team has a chance to stick out even among those other previous winners. To be special. The way they've been playing portends to continuing the winning streak all the way to the Finals - why not...they're so deep and motivated (after last year's abomination) that it's hard to see them laying an egg.

I think they'll sweep Utah and Memphis tbh, and we'll be sitting on an 18 game streak going into the Lakers WCF match. The Lakers had the best playoff run at 15-1. Just something to shoot for, and talk about, as fans.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.

This has been a pretty fun season to watch. So its cool to know that we have some rare and unique statistical accomplishments to go along with the joyride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    16 playoff wins is all that matters...

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they stretch the win streak to 26... That would be awesome...

Thread Information