Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could get as much as a week of rest.

Will that be welcome rest or will it be too much rest? That's iffy territory. After five or six days, rust starts to set it. We need to keep everyone in shape, especially Ginobili who is still not 100%.

What do you guys think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In that scenario, it would be more than a week. If there's a game 7 in either SA/UTH or LAC/MEM, it will be played on Sunday May 13. The earliest the league would conceivably start the conference semifinals in that scenario is Tuesday, May 15.

The downside to that is rust. The upside -- potentially -- is that when the second round Game 3/Game 4 back-to-back comes up, there will be a bit less wear and tear on the team that finished early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good q but GOAT teams learned to deal with it.

1986 Celtics practices were said to be like a playoff game.
    Bob Parish and a healthy Billy Walton going at it at the center position was as good as it gets. Spurs could have some nice intrasquad games too.

Ditto the Jordan Bulls practices.

So if it goes sweep-7 i say Spurs have to show their mettle and deal with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In that scenario, it would be more than a week. If there's a game 7 in either SA/UTH or LAC/MEM, it will be played on Sunday May 13. The earliest the league would conceivably start the conference semifinals in that scenario is Tuesday, May 15.

The downside to that is rust. The upside -- potentially -- is that when the second round Game 3/Game 4 back-to-back comes up, there will be a bit less wear and tear on the team that finished early.
    Are they really doing b2b's in round 2? That is beyond stupid. Why would they have 2 days between games in round 1 and b2b's in round 2? Just have one day off between games the whole way through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its stupid to have b3b playoff games even if it was a shortened season, they only thingit affected was no. of rs game, why should it affect playoff games if its the same format and goes as long as usual

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. No reason is should affect playoffs. So the finals go until mid-June. So what?

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be a bit worried about rust if they had a full week off, especially since Stern would almost surely give the Spurs another noon game for Game 1 of the WCSF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Clip-Grizz series ends in 5-6. We can't have anymore rest considering how we are clicking. A week off would potentially result in a few steps the wrong way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a whole lot of assuming.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad for Spurs. Better for us to sweep, and Clippers to finish up in 5. Otherwise, LA-Oklahoma City get their round going way ahead of Spurs-Clippers or Griz, and then they get rest waiting of us to finish our second round.

Spurs do not need any rest prior to the next round at all, in fact, they are better off without much rest, until the start of WCFs.

The Spurs have had tons of time off lately as it is, especially the Big 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, Clippers finishing it off in 5 would be ideal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For an "old" team like the Spurs, yes, rest beats out rust concerns any time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do extended practices/scrimmages. Not rocket science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not ideal to rest so long. There will be tons of rust if they have to wait that long.

HOWEVER... look at all the injuries going around. The packed schedule has taken its toll and is still taking players out. Baron Davis popped a kneecap today. In this regard, the more rest the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think we would get better with time off. We could really work on defense and make sure it's crisp.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    For an "old" team like the Spurs, yes, rest beats out rust concerns any time.
    Rest is not an issue. The EARLIEST that we can start is Friday, and that's if the Clips back door sweep them in 5 and finish Wednesday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rest is good, but a week rest makes me antsy about it being too much. Ideally, I'd really rather then not get more than 2 days rest at a time throughout the playoffs. 2 days is plenty. 7 is getting a little crazy.

And I agree that having b2b like this is re ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good q but GOAT teams learned to deal with it.

1986 Celtics practices were said to be like a playoff game.
    Bob Parish and a healthy Billy Walton going at it at the center position was as good as it gets. Spurs could have some nice intrasquad games too.

Ditto the Jordan Bulls practices.

So if it goes sweep-7 i say Spurs have to show their mettle and deal with it.
    But Pop couldn't handle running practices like that...he sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Upside is that Pop gets extended practice time to prepare for certain kind of matchups and to run schemes for certain guys together like Tiago and Tim.

Should only help the Spurs in balance, I suppose. Not to mention that either of the Clips/ Grizz will be suffering from some kind of fatigue after a grueling 7 gamer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha, "rust". Do you think these guys just sit around on their asses after a Playoff series? I hope Memphis/L.A.C goes seven games. More rest and game planning for us. Good for Timmy. Good for Manu.

Do extended practices/scrimmages. Not rocket science.
    This. I mean give me a break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Clip-Grizz series ends in 5-6. We can't have anymore rest considering how we are clicking. A week off would potentially result in a few steps the wrong way.
    Ya, hopefully Clipps pull off a game 4 win. That series would likely end in 6 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha, "rust". Do you think these guys just sit around on their asses after a Playoff series? I hope Memphis/L.A.C goes seven games. More rest and game planning for us. Good for Timmy. Good for Manu.

This. I mean give me a break.
    Rust is not something to laugh off. Just compare games 1 (the Big Three had a week of rest before) and 2 against Utah. Spurs executed way better in game 2 than in game 1. Practices and scrimmages cannot be compared to a playoff game. Its also about mental rust and staying in game rhythm. It was no problem against Utah in game 1, but having to rest 6 or more days and then face e.g. the Grizzlies who just won an 6-7 game series and thus are encouraged, motviated and in rhythm, cannot be seen as positive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you want to have b2b in the second round?

If yes, root for Clippers/Grizzlies to go to 7 games.
    If no, root for a 5 or 6 games series.

Given that Duncan, who has been Spurs second best player this year, struggles in a b2b setup, the choice is obvious to me. Spurs fans shouldn't wish to have a 7 games series between Clippers and Grizzlies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you want to have b2b in the second round?

If yes, root for Clippers/Grizzlies to go to 7 games.
    If no, root for a 5 or 6 games series.

Given that Duncan, who has been Spurs second best player this year, struggles in a b2b setup, the choice is obvious to me. Spurs fans shouldn't wish to have a 7 games series between Clippers and Grizzlies.
    This. Can't afford to have a down game in the playoffs. One loss can totally change the complexion of a series.

Also, with the Spurs rolling the way they are, it would be terribly hard to carry that momentum forward after over a week of rest.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rust is not something to laugh off. Just compare games 1 (the Big Three had a week of rest before) and 2 against Utah. Spurs executed way better in game 2 than in game 1. Practices and scrimmages cannot be compared to a playoff game. Its also about mental rust and staying in game rhythm. It was no problem against Utah in game 1, but having to rest 6 or more days and then face e.g. the Grizzlies who just won an 6-7 game series and thus are encouraged, motviated and in rhythm, cannot be seen as positive.

Ideal rest for Spurs is one day off between games. They totally rocked the NBA with way less rest than 1 day off betw games, so it follows that the Spurs do not need 4-5 days off before next series.

I want them to start 2nd round at same time that LA starts their series, not 3 days later. Figure LA will close it out on Tuesday and start on Friday against Ok City at worst(maybe even Thursday) so I dont want Spurs starting on Sunday.

Thread Information