Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've got some tiles that have broke free on the lower part of my shower. Just below the faucet and I need to repair it. Is this something that a no nothing guy like me can do or should I just hire a handyman to do it? I googled repairing but just want to know if I just replace the dry wall and then just tile over it?
    The GF is on my ass about fixing it and I need to take action quick.
    Thanks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    No pics of the damage?

If the drywall is damaged, probably have to tear out at least part of that wall section, and then it gets even more involved than just replacing tiles. Places like Lowes and Home depot have do it yourself books, but I would suggest s ing out the $$$ if you aren't somewhat of a handyman already.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No pics of the damage?

If the drywall is damaged, probably have to tear out at least part of that wall section, and then it gets even more involved than just replacing tiles. Places like Lowes and Home depot have do it yourself books, but I would suggest s ing out the $$$ if you aren't somewhat of a handyman already.
    Well, some of the tiles fell out and I think it is a bigger job than I can handle. Going to start getting some estimates.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    You're going to want to find out why the tiles broke/fell off before you just slap some new ones on and call it a day. If the shower valve is leaking in the wall, or something, ignoring it will make a cheap repair get awfully expensive.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Buy her a puppy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Its not like moisture in bathroom walls is rare problem…Don’t scare the guy…If it were me I would tear out the tile, remove moist drywall, spray the 2 x 4’s with a bleach solution, re drywall with Green board & re tile…Doubtful you have a leak in the wall unless we are talking about old galvanized pipes…

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Its not like moisture in bathroom walls is rare problem…Don’t scare the guy…If it were me I would tear out the tile, remove moist drywall, spray the 2 x 4’s with a bleach solution, re drywall with Green board & re tile…Doubtful you have a leak in the wall unless we are talking about old galvanized pipes…
    No. Moisture in a bathroom is not rare. Which is why they so often feature ceramic tile -- if properly grouted/sealed, it should stand up to normal amounts of moisture.

A leak is not definite, so I'm not trying to scare anyone. But ceramic tile does not typically fall off of a shower wall of its own accord, and therefore MAY indicate a larger problem. Especially since the problem area is close to the faucet.

Mr Robinsons hood denizen Creepn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Daaaamn Cucking trumping out a repair man that makes 6 figures!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No leak to deal with but I knew to check for that already. It is just an older house and it was time. The grout had cracked and so some water did get in and caused them to become loose. I should have taken action earlier. I'm going to Home Depot and see what help I can find. Thanks for the responses.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    It's tile not hip replacement

Thread Information