or

An ideal sports parent?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/more...-sports-parent

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    where's the "i don't give 2 s about athletics" parent option?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Yeah parents ruin sports for kids more often than not, ing idiots.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    roger clemens

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    i would cheer and critique my kid and cheer on their team but i wouldnt go crazy over it and get in fights.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I want to put my son in sports this summer (he's 3, turning 4 in July) and I was appalled by the fact that soccer leagues for that age play 4-on-4 without a goalie. I understand that they are little, but I don't believe in the "every wins" philosophy, so I'm not hip on the "no goalie" concept.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    i would cheer and critique my kid and cheer on their team but i wouldnt go crazy over it and get in fights.
    There are some idiots like that.. can't believe it some of the times. Cursing people out in little leagues..

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I want to put my son in sports this summer (he's 3, turning 4 in July) and I was appalled by the fact that soccer leagues for that age play 4-on-4 without a goalie. I understand that they are little, but I don't believe in the "every wins" philosophy, so I'm not hip on the "no goalie" concept.
    I'd be more concerned if they were older, but they are only 4 years old.

Even without a goalie, I can't imagine there being a lot of goals scored.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    My kids played sports but more for the fun and friendship of it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'd be more concerned if they were older, but they are only 4 years old.

Even without a goalie, I can't imagine there being a lot of goals scored.
    Maybe so, but I like the more traditional sports leagues for kids. For example pitch softball/baseball -- even if it's an adult pitching -- rather than tee ball. And I think keeping score is good, even if the kids are really small.

The ones we were looking at are all 'no goalie' until the kids are 8.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Maybe so, but I like the more traditional sports leagues for kids. For example pitch softball/baseball -- even if it's an adult pitching -- rather than tee ball. And I think keeping score is good, even if the kids are really small.

When you see the size of the goal for U4, you'll understand. The "no goalie" is not so everyone will win.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh man, kids sports are a hoot! Some of the best times I've ever had with my kids

My kids have been on some good teams that were ultimately ruined by parents vs coach politics, I really hated that. And the parents that drove me crazy are the ones who coach their kid from the sidelines, ignoring that there is even a coach. I remember one guy who would pull his kid out of the time out huddle while the coach was talking, to have his own little session!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The main goal (no pun) at that age is just to get them moving in the right direction and become familiar with dribbling and kicking. If they can also pass, then great. But the goals are very small. The idea is to get them to learn to head toward that goal instead of just running straight down the field and over the end line. If you put a kid in the goal, there will be almost 0 goals scored at all.
    And probably the greater reason is that you want all the kids learning to dribble and kick. Having one stand in the goal really limits that player's learning experience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

I coached basketball for a 6th grade team at the Boys and Girls club. Some of the rules there were horrible. You could only play defense on the side you were defending until the last 2 minutes of the game. So if you're getting crushed (my team sucked ) then there was really no way to slow the other teams momentum. The other thing I didn't like was that everyone had to play equal minutes. The only reason I hated that was because if someone didn't show up to practice all week, they still got to play. That really screwed us up.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And while I always appreciated the time invested by parent volunteer coaches, ultimately they are there for their own kid, and even if their kid is a spaz you can expect the playing minutes to be skewed for their benefit. I guess it's a perk of the job.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Oh man, kids sports are a hoot! Some of the best times I've ever had with my kids

My kids have been on some good teams that were ultimately ruined by parents vs coach politics, I really hated that. And the parents that drove me crazy are the ones who coach their kid from the sidelines, ignoring that there is even a coach. I remember one guy who would pull his kid out of the time out huddle while the coach was talking, to have his own little session!
    I've always hated those parents who thought that their son or daughter deserved to start or play more minutes, etc. like they know more than the coach.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The main goal (no pun) at that age is just to get them moving in the right direction and become familiar with dribbling and kicking. If they can also pass, then great. But the goals are very small. The idea is to get them to learn to head toward that goal instead of just running straight down the field and over the end line. If you put a kid in the goal, there will be almost 0 goals scored at all.
    And probably the greater reason is that you want all the kids learning to dribble and kick. Having one stand in the goal really limits that player's learning experience.
    That being said, 8 years old is too old to not have goalies.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I think tee ball is great and necessary for kids to start off with. There would be too many kids that wouldn't be able to hit the ball if it's pitched to them (by an adult). Plus, it allows the defensive team more opportunities to field a ball. I think it's essential to the development of the player.

As far as soccer goes, I think playing without a goalie at a young age will only make them better players because the ball will be in play more often.

In basketball, they lower the height of the rims and you can't press, and I'm pretty sure you can't even play defense outside the 3-point line. Are you against those rules too?

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Two things that don't make these "Fun, Fair and Positive" leagues work for me:

1. There are always parents on every team that keep score of the games and how many "wins" the team has, so the non-compe ive aspect is rendered moot.

2. The overly-protective soccer moms that make you want to ask them why they even let their precious little angel be on the team because they are so paranoid that they will get hurt.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'm not against lowering the rims , but I don't like the defense limitations either.

When I was little, we played softball in leagues with an adult pitcher starting in pre-K/kindergarten. I'm not sure when kids started pitching for themselves back then -- maybe around 7. Anyway, I've just never been a fan of tee ball. And there was no such thing as the "no score" leagues in any kids' sports.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Two things that don't make these "Fun, Fair and Positive" leagues work for me:

1. There are always parents on every team that keep score of the games and how many "wins" the team has, so the non-compe ive aspect is rendered moot.
    This is true. Even after age 5 or so, I think all the kids are trying to keep score in their heads too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not against lowering the rims , but I don't like the defense limitations either.

When I was little, we played softball in leagues with an adult pitcher starting in pre-K/kindergarten. I'm not sure when kids started pitching for themselves back then -- maybe around 7. Anyway, I've just never been a fan of tee ball.
    Even pros use a tee to work on their swing. It definitely helps a little kid keep his swing level and learn how it's supposed to feel when you hit the ball.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Even pros use a tee to work on their swing. It definitely helps a little kid keep his swing level and learn how it's supposed to feel when you hit the ball.
    I don't doubt it helps them keep their swing level, but obviously not the same in terms of eye-hand coordination as hitting a pitched ball. I guess I just think you can practice on a tee in your backyard when your kids is 2 or 3 or 4, you don't need them to be hitting off a tee in a league when they are 7.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't doubt it helps them keep their swing level, but obviously not the same in terms of eye-hand coordination as hitting a pitched ball. I guess I just think you can practice on a tee in your backyard when your kids is 2 or 3 or 4, you don't need them to be hitting off a tee in a league when they are 7.
    I hear you. The problem with that is most (or a lot of) parents don't think of teaching their kids sports until the time when they are actually offered. Except Mexicans and soccer. They will dominate at U4.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Without those defensive limitations there would be teams that would never be able to get past mid-court. I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay money only to have your kid be on that team.

I guess I look at these things/rules as more of an "everyone plays" mentality than a "everyone wins" one.

Thread Information