Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Galen gets mixed reviews. I know a few people who have been there and love it, but it's not an accredited school. Anybody here had any personal experience with it?

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    nurses are usually s so you'll be great for the job. you get to check weiners for a living and sleep around the office

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    nurses are usually s so you'll be great for the job. you get to check weiners for a living and sleep around the office
    So you like being a nurse?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    lol mouse

you're 55 give up the comedy you suck and get a real job

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A frend of mine dd his nursing school at SAC.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    I have mad respect for nurses. They do all the dirty work, and (for the most part) enjoy their job.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    They do all the dirty work, and (for the most part) enjoy their job.

that they do

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Do you have any previous college under your belt? If so, you might consider a university BSN program and take advantage of (and take credit for) work you've already done. I don't know much about the actual ADN schools and programs, but I know plenty about the "hierarchy" within the profession, and while the ADN gets you out and working faster, the ANA considers the BSN the minimum entry into professional practice; I guess it all depends on what you want to do in your career.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have mad respect for nurses. They do all the dirty work, and (for the most part) enjoy their job.
    Did you learned that from watching Nurse Jackie?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't have any college. I hear UTHSCSA, Baptist and SAC all have good programs, but I'd really rather get to work faster, then maybe go back for an actual degree later. The husband retires in a couple of years and we're moving to rural MI, so I need a job I can do anywhere.

Also, for what it's worth, my days are far behind me

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

rofl

I didn't expect that kind of response.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't have any college. I hear UTHSCSA, Baptist and SAC all have good programs, but I'd really rather get to work faster, then maybe go back for an actual degree later. The husband retires in a couple of years and we're moving to rural MI, so I need a job I can do anywhere.

With time being of the essence for you, I think you should definitely avoid a non-accredited program. The State Board here in Texas, will allow graduates from non-accredited programs to sit for the NCLEX, as long the program is approved by them; but their approval is given on a semester by semester basis, and it sure would be a drag, and waste of time/money to have your program lose it's approval before you are finished.

Licensure is pretty much reciprocal between the states (with the exception of just a couple), so make sure Michigan will honor a Texas license, and check their policy on non-accredited programs just in case they don't. And keep in mind that while everything may be fine between the 2 states as far as accreditation and licensure, individual employers are pretty scrutinous and many do overlook licensed graduates from non-accredited programs for reasons of their own liability. If you are going to relocate to a rural area that may have a limited amount of employers to apply to, it would be important to make sure that you are as hirable as possible.

And from one rehabilitated to another, I wish you the best

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thank you maalox

You've pretty much confirmed exactly what I was thinking. I know I'll have to get a degree to make a decent career out of it, I'm even already registered at UTSA to begin the prerequisites, but at 34 I HATE the thought of school. , if college was even remotely interesting I would have just gone right out of HS like everybody else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    wait, you're 34 and your husband is retiring in a couple of years?
    Should have been more specific

He's eligible for military retirement in two years - he'll have been in the AF for 20. He wants to take a couple of years off before finding a civilian job, which we'll be able to afford if I have a nursing degree. He is a bit older than I, but not that much.

Thread Information