My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    CJ Watson Gets Death Threat On Twitter After Bulls' Loss To 76ers

While there are many examples of how social media has changed the relationships between professional athletes and fans for the better, we've been overrun with examples lately of just how much negativity can also be disseminated via these platforms.

Earlier this week, Knicks guard J.R. Smith was inundated with negative tweets about his performance after New York was eliminated from the playoffs. Washington Capitals winger Joel Ward has twice been the subject of racist Twitter outbursts during the 2012 NHL postseason. Before that Kyle Williams of the San Francisco 49ers faced death threats after making a mistake late in a playoff loss.

The latest professional athlete to be tweeted a threat to his life, as well as various other demeaning messages, resulting from his performance in a high-profile game is C.J. Watson of the Chicago Bulls, who has the Twitter handle @quietstorm_32. In the waning moments of the Bulls' season-ending loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, Watson made a mental error that proved costly.

The mistake that led so many fans to tweet insults and worse at Watson was a pass. With the Bulls clinging to a one-point lead and less than 12 seconds remaining on the clock, Watson drove the ball hard on the break. As the 76ers' defense collapse on him, needing to foul, Watson dished the ball off to teammate Omer Asik. The Turkish center, who shot 46 percent from the line during the regular season, missed both attempts. Andre Iguodala grabbed the rebound from the second miss and raced down to the other end of the floor. He drew a foul, against Asik, before draining both of his freebies for a shocking win. Although the reaction was not as harsh, Asik also found himself targeted on Twitter.
    What's the over/under that one of those tweets came from an enraged NewcastleKEG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the over/under that one of those tweets came from an enraged NewcastleKEG?
    I can't believe asik is catching any flack. There was no reason for Watson to pass that ball

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Because that play cost the Bulls a chance to win the le this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are at fault.

Asik should not have been in the game at that point. Coach should have known that they were going to foul the guy with the worst FT % on the court so what's the big deal?

Also, why was Asik running ahead of Watson as if saying pass it to me.

Alot of things goes through your mind at that specific moment, you're not thinking oh yeah let me pass the ball to our worst freethrow shooter because I feel like it. happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asik should not have been in the game at that point. Coach should have known that they were going to foul the guy with the worst FT % on the court so what's the big deal?
    Who are you to question the fantastic Chicago Bulls coach, who was robbed of a second consecutive COY. Who are you to question the man who drew up such plays as the "Rose dribble out the clock then chuck up a contested two" or the "Hey Rose, it's a very compacted season but I still want you to play 45 mins a game then get shocked when you become injured"?

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count

enraged
    overrated gangbanger mvp
    posting s
    meltdown
    banned

Ball Don't Lie MattBonnerExperience's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This just shows how we take sports to seriously. Threatning a mans life over a dumb mistake in a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe asik is catching any flack. There was no reason for Watson to pass that ball
    He is a professional basketball player. He should make his free throws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a professional basketball player. He should make his free throws.
    What if all professional basketball players made every shot they ever took?

There's a reason you aren't just given two points automatically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this reeks of KEG.. he's still butthurt over the '9ers loss to the Giants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's dumb, dumb bulls fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It can't just be a mere coincidence that Kyle Williams received death threats, and now these guys, can it?

Thread Information