Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like someone fell for the Nash MVP hype, tbh.
    Lol, it isn't "hype" if it really happened...twice in fact.

The Spurs aren't riding a high note? Winning Streak Spurs Fan Syndrome in full effect.
    This applies to everything in life. People seek patterns and make predictions based on them. So yeah...when the Spurs are on a winning streak, we tend to think good things about them. I wouldn't call it a syndrome; it's a cognitive bias at best.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The similarities are eery, tbh.

Nash got hurt two games before the end of his first round series.

CP3 got hurt two games before the end of his first round series.

Nash was diagnosed with a strained hip.

CP3 was diagnosed with a strained hip.

Spurs fans were predicting sweep because Nash was hurt.

Spurs fans are predicting sweep because CP3 is hurt.

Back in 2010, the Spurs decided to test Nash's health by going under screens and daring him to beat them with his jumper. It turned out to be a horrible idea that kickstarted the Suns to a sweep.

Let's hope that's where the similarities end.

P.S.

I haven't even given my prediction yet. Perhaps I predict a Spurs sweep. I'm just listing areas of concern. I know WSSFS causes fans to react violently to someone bringing up anything even slightly negative but I haven't figured out yet if these issues will cost the Spurs a couple games, one game or none.
    Similarities yes but the non Jefferson factor is big, he was so .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't even given my prediction yet. Perhaps I predict a Spurs sweep. I'm just listing areas of concern. I know WSSFS causes fans to react violently to someone bringing up anything even slightly negative but I haven't figured out yet if these issues will cost the Spurs a couple games, one game or none.
    I agree with some areas of negativity (perimeter shooting, due for a letdown). You can add Bonner being a concern as far as rebounding if Evans is out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did I miss?

CP3 had a 14 point game (game 1), 11 point game (game 6), shot 7-17 to score 19 points (game 7), 10-22 to score 27 (game 4).
    You obviously didn't see Paul in the final minutes of game 1, he closed it out scoring & dishing, lol game 6 dude re injured his groin the game b4, game 4 10-22 for 27 points isn't bad & again look in overtime he was just killing the grizzlies.
    Nash, on the other hand, didn't had a game with less than 16ppg, and only one game where he shot under 50%.
    Nash isn't as good a closer or scorer as Paul & he usually had a better team then Paul in the PO's, he also didn't take as many shots as Paul. Nash in the PO's= choker.

That makes him quick?
    That makes him slow?

Ignorance is bliss.
    Last edited by Spurs da champs; 05-14-2012 at 12:52 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Similarities yes but the non Jefferson factor is big, he was so .
    We trotted Roger Mason Jr and Keith Bogans off the bench too... and Nash still had Amare on that series...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm talking the Clippers playoffs CP3, who can lay eggs like 11 point and 14 point nights, or 10-22 and 7-17 nights... What CP3 are you watching?
    In the series before Nash destroyed the Spurs in 2012, he had games of 10, 13, 13, 14 and 15 points. He had turnover games of 7, 6, 5 and 5. He had shooting games of 3-for-8, 2-for-5 and 2-for-7.

2012 CP3 vs. Grizzlies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2010 Nash vs. Blazers

So I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm not counting on any "injuries". After all, CP3 was healthy in Game 1, and he was still fairly mediocre.
    Nash was healthy all the way up until Game 4 of that Blazers series. That didn't guarantee anything against the Spurs, obviously.

Where does he ranks in fastest PG's in the league? By league standards, he's slow footed.
    Conley is definitely among the fastest point guards. Parker is the fastest and Conley is the only point guard who is able to stay in front of him consistently. That should tell us something, tbh.

There's no way he's "slow footed".

And FWIW, ElNono was right bout dem Grizzlies
    I would ax for a link but I'll go ahead and believe you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The similarities are eery, tbh.

Nash got hurt two games before the end of his first round series.

CP3 got hurt two games before the end of his first round series.

Nash was diagnosed with a strained hip.

CP3 was diagnosed with a strained hip.

Spurs fans were predicting sweep because Nash was hurt.

Spurs fans are predicting sweep because CP3 is hurt.

Back in 2010, the Spurs decided to test Nash's health by going under screens and daring him to beat them with his jumper. It turned out to be a horrible idea that kickstarted the Suns to a sweep.

Let's hope that's where the similarities end.
    I think you're reading way too much into things. Similarities abound everywhere if you look hard enough.

I'd be calling it in five or even four with a 100% CP.

In 2010, you had a 50 win team that got out of the first round then faced a team looking for payback. Our role players than disappeared on us.

The Spurs this season, in the last two months, have been on a roll unlike many seen before.

Sure Clippers took out a Memphis team in seven, but we swept that same team this season. I have no doubts this Spurs team is taking out the Clippers quickly.

P.S.

I don't know what WSSFS stands for but I've seen a few other board initialisms, and like those I assume this one also has a negative connotation.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know what WSSFS stands for but I've seen a few other board initialisms, and like those I assume this one also has a negative connotation.
    winning streak spurs fan syndrome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You obviously didn't see Paul in the final minutes of game 1, he closed it out scoring & dishing, lol game 6 dude re injured his groin the game b4, game 4 10-22 for 27 points isn't bad & again look in overtime he was just killing the grizzlies.
    I watched the whole series.

Paul got bailed out by Nick Young in Game 1, when the Clippers were down by 21, and Del Negro was already considering taking Paul out due to the groin injury.

10-22 isn't bad? And while he was great in that game that went to overtime, the game itself went to overtime because of a up by Paul.

Paul is a good player, he just wasn't as good as Nash was with the Suns in 2010, against a flawed Spurs team.

Nash isn't as good a closer or scorer as Paul & he usually had a better team then Paul in the PO's, he also didn't take as many shots as Paul. Nash in the PO's= choker.
    Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but then again, CP3 has yet to get out of the second round. Something Nash has done.

That makes him slow?
    Ignorant.
    I don't recall Mike Conley Jr blowing past anybody with his quick feet... do you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    winning streak spurs fan syndrome
    Oh. These are getting silly. My optimism and opinion have nothing to do with the streaks but the play of the team I've seen. It just so happens to coincide with the streak.

I mean, we had an 11 game win steak pretrade with Jefferson still on the team. I'd feel a of a lot differently if that 11 game win streak team was the one we were coming into the playoffs with.

Jefferson on the team. No Jax, no Diaw, no Mills.

Bonner/Blair can't do dat capek's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a slightly more elaborate jinx thread imo tbh fwiw

Some of those points seem valid on first glance, but really it's a tempest in a tea pot. As long as they're disciplined about getting back on D, and they stay with their man at the 3 point line, the Clips will have a real hard time scoring enough points to beat us.

And I'm totally not buying that there will be a let down. I think with Jax back, the other changes, the depth leading to such a cohesive locker room, and what these guys have built with their long winning streaks, this team is chomping at the bit to get back on the court. If anything, I think it's more likely that the big letdown in game one will come from the Clips. They had to expend so much energy and emotion to win that game seven on the road, only two play game 1 of the next round 48 hours later, that there's a high likelihood that they'll be pretty damn spent once the game actually starts. Whereas I think the Spurs will surprise by how fluid they'll look, like they haven't missed a beat since they last played a week ago.

That could turn out to be wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me will happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, no it's not. A letdown is never "inevitable." That's just pessimistic.
    It'd be human nature to have a letdown with the other team hobbled and the team you actually wanted to play fishing. But perhaps the Spurs aren't human. We'll see.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's large centers. If the opposing team's biggest weapon is small guards, I'm not worried. Post players can potentially do more damage than guards, both as a general basketball principle, and in relation to this Spurs team.
    Large centers? Outside of that one Andrew Bynum game, what large center hurt the Spurs this year?

Off the top of my head, the Spurs held Howard, Hibbert, Monroe, Gortat, both Gasols and Kaman in check.

I guess, but that's a good thing. That means no team has been able to challenge the Spurs enough to test them.
    I agree it's a good thing. But going forward, can any Spurs fan honestly say they are confident in this team executing down the stretch to win a close game? Perhaps we can be blindly confident but we haven't seen that happen in a looooong time.

I'm pretty sure Duncan will not be defending Griffin much regardless. I'm skeptical of your claim that Duncan is below average. And I don't follow your logic in the last sentence (less Griffin should lead to less pick-and-rolls).
    Duncan has been below average at defending pick-and-rolls since at least 2009.

And the Clippers have two main sets: pick-and-roll and isolation for Griffin. If Griffin is hobbled, that means the Clippers will be down to one set, which would mean endless pick-and-rolls.

I'm not threatened by that at all. The Spurs are fully capable of running a crisp half-court offense. I view the Spurs as a versatile team capable of playing any pace. So bring it on.
    Glad you're confident but the Spurs are better the faster the pace. I agree they can win slower paced games too but that's not when these Spurs are best.

Heh...nah. Our bench is still better than theirs.
    Good to know.

And you're wrong about Memphis being a better matchup...that series would not have been a sweep, but this one might be.
    Also good to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the series before Nash destroyed the Spurs in 2012, he had games of 10, 13, 13, 14 and 15 points. He had turnover games of 7, 6, 5 and 5. He had shooting games of 3-for-8, 2-for-5 and 2-for-7.

2012 CP3 vs. Grizzlies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2010 Nash vs. Blazers

So I'm not sure what your point is.
    The point is that the comparison isn't there. Nash shot 50%+ on 3/4 of the games, never scored under 16 ppg in the series, and run a tight ship.

I'm not lowballing CP3. He's a great player, but you have to look at him more individually. He just doesn't have such a great team around him that can exploit all his virtues, and he can't carry an efficient scoring load night in and night out.

For example, I think his Hornet team we beat in 2008 was a better team than these Clippers, and used him a lot better.

Nash was healthy all the way up until Game 4 of that Blazers series. That didn't guarantee anything against the Spurs, obviously.
    I don't think the Spurs should take CP3 lightly, but I don't think he's something to fear either, at least, not at Nash's levels. Nash has a knack for getting in our player's head with the pick and roll. I just don't think CP3 has that, at least with the talent he has with him.

Conley is definitely among the fastest point guards. Parker is the fastest and Conley is the only point guard who is able to stay in front of him consistently. That should tell us something, tbh.

There's no way he's "slow footed".
    On offense he is, which is what I pointed out. Conley isn't looking to drive to the basket like Tony is. I'm not even sure who the heck is going to guard TP on that team. Putting CP3 on him might just wear him out before halftime.

I would ax for a link but I'll go ahead and believe you
    I'll look it up, tbh. I also had to suspend my "ElNono right bout dem Lakers" until the OKC series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched the whole series.

Paul got bailed out by Nick Young in Game 1, when the Clippers were down by 21, and Del Negro was already considering taking Paul out due to the groin injury.

10-22 isn't bad? And while he was great in that game that went to overtime, the game itself went to overtime because of a up by Paul.
    No Del Negro was considering taking him out because the game was out of reach but again who got Young those shots? And again he scored when it mattered most & just torched the Grizzlies to close out the game.
    Paul is a good player, he just wasn't as good as Nash was with the Suns in 2010, against a flawed Spurs team.
    Eh trust me George Hill made Steve Nash look really good.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but then again, CP3 has yet to get out of the second round. Something Nash has done.
    Yes well he never really had a team full of offensive weapons like Nash.

I don't recall Mike Conley Jr blowing past anybody with his quick feet... do you?
    I don't recall Conley getting blown by, which is my point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, the whole "letdown" conundrum comes even from the fact that Pop himself was already allegedly spotted wondering if he should "toss" a game to stop with the psychological BS of the winning streak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Del Negro was considering taking him out because the game was out of reach but again who got Young those shots?
    GOOD MOVE: Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said he considered pulling point guard Chris Paul around the six-minute mark due to his injured left groin.

So Paul gets the credit for the 3 assists to reserve Nick Young, but he doesn't get the blame because his team was 21 point down going into the 4th?

Frankly, that game was won by Young and Reggie Evans, along with Rudy Gay.

And again he scored when it mattered most & just torched the Grizzlies to close out the game.
    Torched? He scored 4 points in the 4th quarter... the last two on free throws...

Eh trust me George Hill made Steve Nash look really good.
    Don't disagree.

Yes well he never really had a team full of offensive weapons like Nash.
    Do you think he does now with these Clippers?

I don't recall Conley getting blown by, which is my point.
    But which completely sidesteps mine. Do you think CP3 will have more work guarding Parker or Conley Jr?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Foye is a scrub and you should not worry.
    By now I thought you would have learnt not to be so overconfident, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That goes for you too Nono.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That goes for you too Nono.
    I wouldn't classify it as overconfidence, tbh. I am confident that the Spurs are the better team in this series, and should win.

If you disagree, go ahead and tell me where do you think the Spurs have such a matchup problem that the Clipps can consistently exploit...

Barring injuries, I just don't see the Spurs losing this unless they're extremely sloppy guarding the 3 point line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should win but it will be tough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Letdown Likely
    Against the Grizzlies, there was no way the Spurs were going to come out not ready to play. The Game 1 loss last year turned out to be the difference so there was no doubt in my mind that San Antonio would be ready to rumble from the first possession. But now against the Clippers, I'm not so sure. Everyone knows L.A. has three starters dealing with injuries in Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Caron Butler. The Spurs were surely watching as the Clippers looked underwhelming for a majority of the Memphis series. Add in the long layoff and I think a letdown early in the series is inevitable.
    Won't the best coach in the NBA have some motivational method?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lengthy reverse jinx.
    So many negatives... why not look at some positives?

1. Conley can guard TP somewhat. Paul can't. His only defensive tactic is going for steals. Besides that he just lets people go by him.

2. Nobody to guard Manu. I know he did a good job last year against Tony Allen. But still, between him, Mayo and Gay, that's a lot of size they can throw at him and wear him down, especially if they try to back him down and post him up. Now it'll be Manu who can post guys up, and the only guys they can put on him are either crappy defenders in Foye and Young, or a hobbled old guy in Butler.

3. No post threat for Duncan to guard. Yeah, Tim will have to move on the pick-and-roll, but he won't have to worry about the physical toll that banging takes since the Clips don't have any big post up guys. Jordan, Martin, Evans, none of them are back-to-the-basket guys. Diaw and Bonner will be guarding Griffin, who's like 6-9. Really, the way these playoffs break down, Tim might now have to guard another low-post scorer until 2013. He'll have more energy for his own post game and to rebound.

4. A worse rival coach. Hollins knows how to push the Spurs buttons. The key is to have zero respect for them and to treat them like punks. Del Negro has no idea and will be deferential at the altar of Pop.

5. No psychological advantage. I think the Grizzlies would've been y and confident as against us, even if it was misplaced. The Clips will just be happy to be here since they're banged up and know their coach is playing checkers while ours is playing chess.

6. Hack-a-whoever. For some reason Hollins never fouled anyone on purpose. Pop will send Evans, Jordan or Griffin to the line a bunch if we're down 5-10 pts late in games and make them knock down free throws.

7. They can't guard threes for . I mean, neither can we, but still.

8. Griffin can hardly move. His knee is in bad shape. This isn't going to be 2005 Stoudemire out there, folks.

9. We have a bench now. In 2010, we didn't, so the Suns analogy doesn't apply.

10. Kenyon Martin? Come on. Tim and Manu aren't going to lose to Kenyon freakin' Martin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whos gonna guard Tim Duncan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whos gonna guard Tim Duncan?
    Evans and Martin are pretty good defenders.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If SPURS cant even beat Clippers, they dont deserve any contender consideration. Just go fishing and rebuild.

Thread Information