Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Manny, I'm curious. If CO2 is the culprit for the climate change we see, then how do you explain the extent of the energy budget loss of 0.9 watts/sq. meter into the oceans?

Let me remind you. Solar energy penetrates the ocean deep. LW from the downward 333 number is probably absorbed in the vapor above the water, and only causes more evaporation rather than any appreciable increase the water temperature. What little makes it to the water is still only heating the very top surface. Again, just more precipitation.

Also, do you know of any sources that provide a number for H2O LW absorption vs. ppm or percentage that can be compared to CO2?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I explain it by pointing out that your understanding of thermodynamics is still extremely poor (not to mention LW radiation and optics). EXTREMELY bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    P.S. Did you really need another thread where I mock your ridiculous questions and poor understanding of science? Wasn't one enough?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I explain it by pointing out that your understanding of thermodynamics is still extremely poor (not to mention LW radiation and optics). EXTREMELY bad.
    No.

You only said I didn't understand, which is false.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    P.S. Did you really need another thread where I mock your ridiculous questions and poor understanding of science? Wasn't one enough?
    Can you answer the questions, or not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some radiation is reflected or refracts a bit before reflecting out so therefor none of it actually warms the ocean. Don't you know anything MiG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tell you want though. I will play along nicely if you provide some proof for this statement you made:

Solar energy penetrates the ocean deep.
    Do so in the context of the breakdown of the solar emission spectrum. In other words, at the largest and most substantive wavelengths of solar radiation that reach the earth's surface show me that it penetrates into the deep ocean.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dupe.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I tell you want though. I will play along nicely if you provide some proof for this statement you made:

Solar energy penetrates the ocean deep.
    Do so in the context of the breakdown of the solar emission spectrum. In other words, at the largest and most substantive wavelengths of solar radiation that reach the earth's surface show me that it penetrates into the deep ocean.
    Light is solar energy, and reaches depths relatively deeper than longwave does. At some point, the ocean is dark, as all the light is absorbed. This is a far greater amount of energy than what LW can achieve to the ocean.

I said deep into the ocean, not the deep ocean.

I was speaking in a relative way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you answer the questions, or not?
    I can point out the flaws in your questions which render your questions moot.

You see, I could ask to explain why gravity pushes us out to space but the question would make no sense since gravity does not push us out to space.

Thats basically what you're doing on many fronts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Light is solar energy, and reaches depths relatively deeper than longwave does. At some point, the ocean is dark, as all the light is absorbed. This is a far greater amount of energy than what LW can achieve to the ocean.

I said deep into the ocean, not the deep ocean.

I was speaking in a relative way.
    Um, relative to what? Relative to a bathtub, light might penetrate deep. Relative to the ocean? Is it deep? At what point is the ocean dark? And I asked for you to provide proof provide proof.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I can point out the flaws in your questions which render your questions moot.

You see, I could ask to explain why gravity pushes us out to space but the question would make no sense since gravity does not push us out to space.

Thats basically what you're doing on many fronts.
    Do you not understand the intent of my question?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Um, relative to what? Relative to a bathtub, light might penetrate deep. Relative to the ocean? Is it deep? At what point is the ocean dark? And I asked for you to provide proof provide proof.
    SW vs. LW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have my request. If you want me to post any further in this thread you will meet it.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You have my request. If you want me to post any further in this thread you will meet it.
    You mean this?
    I'm not going to look up the depth at which there is no more light penetration, but it is much farther than infrared penetration, especially the CO2 bands. It is somewhere around 1/2 mile deep that light penetrates before it is all absorbed. Are you going to suggest that radiant energy from CO2 gets lost in the deeper waters like visible light?

Infrared stays at the surface, because it is more readily absorbed. Being in the surface, it is then plays little or no change in ocean warming as it just creates more precipitation.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Even though this is for fresh water, the concept applies:

According to wiki, which of course is not always right, there is light in the ocean until we reach the about 1000 meters. Will you claim that above surface IR extends any where near that depth?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are thermal layers and tonnes of chlorophyll. It gets tiring having him dumb down so he can attempt to understand it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No significant water penetrates past 200m in the ocean. Its not a hard fact to find yet you made a stupid claim that light penetrates deep into the ocean because you love pulling out of your ass. There's a reason its called the photic zone.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/light_travel.html

Now, I don't even want to get back into your piss poor BASIC thermodynamics of "its only heating the top portion of the ocean". When you have a system in equilibrium and you heat one portion, it doesn't magically stay confined to that one part of the system.

To top it off, in one thread you're ranting and raving how H20 is a huge factor in the GHE and in the other you're saying how the CO2 contribution is OK because its (you're incorrect on this end but you can't even logically connect your own bull ) just evaporating more water.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No significant water penetrates past 200m in the ocean. Its not a hard fact to find yet you made a stupid claim that light penetrates deep into the ocean because you love pulling out of your ass. There's a reason its called the photic zone.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/light_travel.html

Now, I don't even want to get back into your piss poor BASIC thermodynamics of "its only heating the top portion of the ocean". When you have a system in equilibrium and you heat one portion, it doesn't magically stay confined to that one part of the system.

To top it off, in one thread you're ranting and raving how H20 is a huge factor in the GHE and in the other you're saying how the CO2 contribution is OK because its (you're incorrect on this end but you can't even logically connect your own bull ) just evaporating more water.
    You said things I know. The 200 meters is the approximate limit of enough light for photosynthesis. Light still makes it down to about 1000 meters. My point is, almost all visible light is absorbed deep enough, that the energy doesn't all return to surface or atmosphere. Almost all the long wave that makes it to the water, returns to the atmosphere.

Yes, I know about thermodynamics, and I know the heat moves around, is converted to work, etc. I have made the point that this delta energy moves. It isn't lost, only converted when it's no longer a temperature variable. That which makes it to the deeper layers, takes hundreds of years to be seen again. It doesn't magically disappear in the deep.

As for the H2O difference, you really need to increase your understanding. I was saying it makes a big difference with large temperature changes. We were at that point discussing coming out of the ice age. CO2 could not be responsible alone, when H2O is such a stronger greenhouse gas, and it changes with atmospheric temperature. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 change primarily with the ocean temperature.The temperature changes in CO2 is no comparison to larger changes that the effect of H2O in the atmosphere has. It has it's own positive feedback.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you not understand the intent of my question?
    This is when you know he cornered himself (again)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said things I know. The 200 meters is the approximate limit of enough light for photosynthesis. Light still makes it down to about 1000 meters. My point is, almost all visible light is absorbed deep enough, that the energy doesn't all return to surface or atmosphere. Almost all the long wave that makes it to the water, returns to the atmosphere.

Yes, I know about thermodynamics, and I know the heat moves around, is converted to work, etc. I have made the point that this delta energy moves. It isn't lost, only converted when it's no longer a temperature variable. That which makes it to the deeper layers, takes hundreds of years to be seen again. It doesn't magically disappear in the deep.

As for the H2O difference, you really need to increase your understanding. I was saying it makes a big difference with large temperature changes. We were at that point discussing coming out of the ice age. CO2 could not be responsible alone, when H2O is such a stronger greenhouse gas, and it changes with atmospheric temperature. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 change primarily with the ocean temperature.The temperature changes in CO2 is no comparison to larger changes that the effect of H2O in the atmosphere has. It has it's own positive feedback.
    @ those first two comments.

Your last paragraph is hillarious. Yes, WC. Water vapor is considered a positive feedback. I'm not sure what your point is as this is not a debated point but rather a tenet of AGW theory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, this is what people do in their spare time? Study environmental sciences so they can score points during message board arguments....

Any of you nerds have an active sex life? I mean, really... Be honest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Virgin TBH

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Why doesn't that surprise me?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean this?

I'm not going to look up the depth at which there is no more light penetration, but it is much farther than infrared penetration, especially the CO2 bands. It is somewhere around 1/2 mile deep that light penetrates before it is all absorbed. Are you going to suggest that radiant energy from CO2 gets lost in the deeper waters like visible light?

Infrared stays at the surface, because it is more readily absorbed. Being in the surface, it is then plays little or no change in ocean warming as it just creates more precipitation.
    300-500 feet in the ocean or so.

Fascinating footage:

If you skip ahead to about the 2:00 mark, he comments on how much light there is at about 300ft down.

Given the ocean has a lot of salt and critters absorbing light, I would imagine that the absorbtion rate of light is a lot higher than clear, pure h2O

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...53890#46053890

400 feet is pretty dark.

Thread Information