Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That kid in your avy is as cute as a button. Simply adorable.

Do they give you any hints about what's going to happen?
    Thanks, that's our youngest daughter.

We'll see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should Spurstalk come up with some rules on copyright infringement on the forums? This particular issue might be bringing more eyes upon this forum and putting us under a microscope. Not really sure if such a thing exists for internet forums tbh.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've long suspected that many media people come to ST for their Spurs info because they don't actually bother to watch the games or follow the team. This is just further evidence of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have taken one of sequspurs terrible posts tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a librarian and my husband is a professional writer. We both take copyright and plagiarism very seriously. We both think you should at the very least report this to ESPN.
    Agreed. This is ridiculous. I'm all for email bombing ESPN.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    bark bark bark bark bark!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have taken one of sequspurs terrible posts tbh.
    Next up on BSPN: yo team clown

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, that's our youngest daughter.

We'll see
    Aw. She's very cute.

Pfft! I'm hoping for headlines like what happened when that other ESPN writer was fired over the Jeremy Lin thing. Timvp could be the next high profile Spurs analyst over there.

Heaven knows that ESPN needs better coverage of our team anyway.

Edit: Or as high profile as a Spurs oriented writer can get in any case though. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what difference that would make in the end.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Also, it seems it's not ESPN who's at fault here. The writer is for ScoutsInc, and his content is picked up by ESPN via their INsider, which, in and of itself, is a form of stealing, much of the time taking free information from local publications and charging for the centralized access to it.

If you're going to email anyone, email ScoutsInc.

However, these are almost impossible to prove. Might scare the person from doing it so blatantly next time, but it's not going to "stop" it.

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go get him timvp and kori

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should go after Jeff McDonald next. We know you're here!

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, it seems it's not ESPN who's at fault here. The writer is for ScoutsInc, and his content is picked up by ESPN via their INsider, which, in and of itself, is a form of stealing, much of the time taking free information from local publications and charging for the centralized access to it.

However, these are almost impossible to prove. Might scare the person from doing it so blatantly next time, but it's not going to "stop" it.
    Hey! Nice to see you around!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scouts Inc. is part of ESPN. But it doesn't matter. We didn't need to email any of them.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    This is crazy. Glad you guys were notified and are taking action.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha.. I just read the whole thing, definitely worse than I thought. I just assumed he took a few points here and there and drafted up a preview but some of that stuff is literally word for word. Inexcusable on an ethical level.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh so Insider is basically a news feed. That's a little bit different from straight up stealing since it looks like ESPN was giving credit back to Scouts Inc. Plus they do get exclusives from guys like Hollinger so it's probably a mixture of both.

Thanks to the dates, I think Timvp and Kori will be able to prove it if it comes to that. They could also check when the file was created to get a better idea of whether or not the writer plagiarized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's nuts ... but considering LJ has posted these brillant playoff match up analysis for years, this can't possibly be the first time his work has been lifted.

Well, maybe not quite as thoroughly lifted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's nuts ... but considering LJ has posted these brillant playoff match up analysis for years, this can't possibly be the first time his work has been lifted.

Well, maybe not quite as thoroughly lifted.
    Writers take stuff from here all the time. But they don't usually take it so blatantly and excessively in one article.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Scouts Inc. is part of ESPN. But it doesn't matter. We didn't need to email any of them.
    For whatever reason I misunderstood and thought ScoutsInc was Scout.com, which is a FoxSports.com feeder site for college and recruiting info. Oops...

Still, whatever emails are sent need to be as specific as possible. Name the person, name the provider, not just the more well-known source of content.

This really isn't anything new for ESPN.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDonald isn't stealing anything from anyone. In fact, grabbing content would probably help him get his news sooner. I mean, he got out-scooped by the Salt Lake Tribune when the Spurs changed their starting line-up. For crying out loud...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's insane.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is nothing close to a big surprise. These ESPN guys have to cover a whole bunch. There is no way they think and watch the Spurs more than many of the people on this board.

So you got Timvp, who can write solidly about a team he watches very closely, why not.

And its an insult to Timvp to claim his insights into this game actually made it to a NATIONAL news organization. ESPN is just not that good. Now if a sports writer for the Knicks from the NY Times had taken Timvp's stuff on the Knicks, then that would be big time. And if this guy is an ex coach, its even more understandable that he would seize without credit.

Otherwise, no surprise. This is a fairly pervasive tactic. And hard to prove in court. I have read a significant number of ideas on this site much more in depth than anything you are going to find on ESPN concerning the Spurs.

These sites like ESPN have to put stuff out quickly and in very large volume.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For whatever reason I misunderstood and thought ScoutsInc was Scout.com, which is a FoxSports.com feeder site for college and recruiting info. Oops...

Still, whatever emails are sent need to be as specific as possible. Name the person, name the provider, not just the more well-known source of content.

This really isn't anything new for ESPN.
    No, Scouts Inc was bought by ESPN for $18 million in 2006.

Seeking additional content for its many media platforms, ESPN has purchased Scouts Inc., a Boston sports scouting information company, for around $18 million.
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...quisition.aspx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDonald isn't stealing anything from anyone. In fact, grabbing content would probably help him get his news sooner. I mean, he got out-scooped by the Salt Lake Tribune when the Spurs changed their starting line-up. For crying out loud...
    I agree with you, the guy sucks when it comes to breaking news. I just want him gone either way. He tried to replace Ludden and has done a terrible job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Griffin has "borrowed" heavily from various Spurs blogs in the past. But he's not as blatant about it, and usually at least adds some of his own material.

Edit: I don't think McDonald plagiarizes anyone, just to be clear.

Thread Information