Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oil reserves/royalties are the basis of my retirement...which pretty well guarantees that oil will be gone in 10 years.
    Sell and reinvest in renewables with Manny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could've saved alot of time and face by just posting that statement.
    Is that what we're into around here? Efficiency?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see which energy source is still around and cheapest in 10 to 20 years.
    Or you could just read the report from the people studying it and get a much better idea:

FWIW, I think the EIA got a lot of things right in their most recent assessment.
    http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/er/...83er(2012).pdf
    I know in-depth reading on the topic isn't your thing, but I find it quite interesting.

They didn't conclude coal/oil/gas will go away, and neither do I.

The only thing that will really happen is that the world will change a bit, and renewables will make up a larger percentage of our energy supply than they do now.

I think the shift that will happen will be a bit more marked than they do, but their assessment is not entirely unreasonable, and quite thorough.

BTW, have you found any "hydrocarbon denial" yet? How would you define it?

Before you answer, can you provide me with any news articles about technology currently under development that will make the shale in the GAO report economical to extract?

I would appreciate it. Bear in mind that the shale formation is of a different charactor than those currently in the news. The technology unlocking Eagle Ford and the other large fields won't work there.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    I didn't really assume any reductions, if I recall correctly.
    You made this incorrect assumption here,
    As has been pointed out here and elsewhere, those figures for subsidies have likely fallen substantially, as the installed capacity of both solar and wind has expanded markedly.
    Last edited by Poptech; 05-21-2012 at 07:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New construction in TN, AZ, TX, etc were all being done at that point. $100m+ projects.

What is more expensive? Construction per annum or maintenance per annum?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oil has 100 years of investment and an entire civilization built on it, Yoni and Pop taking the risky position of supporting it. We're Number One!

solar and wind will make dent in oil for transport when batteries for vehicles allow it.

California, of course taking the lead, is going to vote on allowing people to buy electricity directly from solar/wind producers rather than from the electricity utilities, cutting out the middle man/markup.

I can't see oil-addicted TX Repugs EVER allowing solar and wind to challenge oil.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Keith Ellison launched a new piece of legislation that would repeal $113 billion of tax-breaks, handouts, and subsidies for the fossil fuel industry over the next 10 years.

Not only is fossil fuel the richest industry on earth, but any of us who pay taxes write it a hefty check each year. It’s as if we’re paying them a performance bonus for wrecking the climate. We’ll never get to renewable energy if we keep handing gobs of money to oil and coal and gas."

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/05/21/...=Google+Reader

$113B spent by taxpayers on carbon energy, $7T blown on MIC. Americans are ing suckers, sheeple getting screwed all day, every day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Keith Ellison launched a new piece of legislation that would repeal $113 billion of tax-breaks, handouts, and subsidies for the fossil fuel industry over the next 10 years.

Not only is fossil fuel the richest industry on earth, but any of us who pay taxes write it a hefty check each year. It’s as if we’re paying them a performance bonus for wrecking the climate. We’ll never get to renewable energy if we keep handing gobs of money to oil and coal and gas."

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/05/21/...=Google+Reader

$113B spent by taxpayers on carbon energy, $7T blown on MIC. Americans are ing suckers, sheeple getting screwed all day, every day.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Why is everyone so worried about oil when water will be a near future real crisis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is everyone so worried about oil when water will be a near future real crisis?
    well, if you can figure out energy then you can figure out water.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    oil has 100 years of investment and an entire civilization built on it, Yoni and Pop taking the risky position of supporting it. We're Number One!

solar and wind will make dent in oil for transport when batteries for vehicles allow it.

California, of course taking the lead, is going to vote on allowing people to buy electricity directly from solar/wind producers rather than from the electricity utilities, cutting out the middle man/markup.

I can't see oil-addicted TX Repugs EVER allowing solar and wind to challenge oil.
    You are aware that Texas is the nation's largest producer of wind energy, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Texas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are aware that Texas is the nation's largest producer of wind energy, right?

And we're not making much of a dent in energy needs, either.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    6.9% of consumption and climbing.....not exactly insignificant

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

get back to us when TX Repugs legislate time-of-day billing and feed-in tariffs statewide.

BigCoal and BigNuke owns the TX legislature, the two industries that suffer from solar/wind energy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6.9% of consumption and climbing.....not exactly insignificant
    From where does that figure come? All of sources I've seen say renewables make up between 8-12% of our sources of energy consumption with just less than half of that being from hydroelectric.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    get back to us when TX Repugs legislate time-of-day billing and feed-in tariffs statewide.

BigCoal and BigNuke owns the TX legislature, the two industries that suffer from solar/wind energy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you are aware that texas is the nation's largest producer of wind energy, right?

lol!

Aren't we also building the world's largest solar farm?

Not to say Oil isn't king in Texas, but it seems that oil's grip is relaxing.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    From where does that figure come? All of sources I've seen say renewables make up between 8-12% of our sources of energy consumption with just less than half of that being from hydroelectric.
    http://www.awea.org/newsroom/pressre...ual_Report.cfm

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol!

60 MW outside of Pflugerville. Might not be the world's largest, but it's right there.

http://www.earthtechling.com/2010/12...utside-austin/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    60 MW outside of Pflugerville. Might not be the world's largest, but it's right there.

http://www.earthtechling.com/2010/12...utside-austin/
    Nope, San Antonio just started to build a 400 MW solar farm.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/living_g...ar-1455605.php

This is a relatively old article, but the planning phase is now over, they are about to break ground.

here is a newer one:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ene...ct-2471016.php

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Holy ! That's massive.
    Man, BigOil and BigNuke must really be sleeping at their desks these days to allow that to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy ! That's massive.
    Man, BigOil and BigNuke must really be sleeping at their desks these days to allow that to happen.
    Yep, it will be done by 2016, and is set to replace half of the output of two coal plants that they are retiring in 2018. The more I read about these things, the more I like living in San Antonio. It has many many problems, granted, but it is extremely progressive especially where it relates to the environment. Another example is that our per capita water usage is back to pre 1990 levels and is around a half (or 2/3, can't remember exactly) of what the national average is.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I've always liked SA. Living in a river city is always challenging, but I do dig the vibe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understood all the words I use.
    I am not so sure.

You toss around a lot of accusations of logical fallacies without being able to really demonstrate them.

Either you can't do it, or you won't do it. I have begun to think the former.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol!

Oil isn't used much in TX for electricity. It's coal and nuclear.

Thread Information