Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Solar and wind would exist without subsidies, but not to the extent they do. Like any technology and energy source, they require infrastructure investments to get the ball rolling. This is what governments do for any industry, oil, coal, and natgas included in the past.
    Not outside a university lab and in calculators. If you are so certain then move to abolish all energy subsidies (the bulk of which for oil were abolished under Reagan). Government intervention is not needed in the energy industry and only causes market distortions.

Let's round out our understanding for this bit with some important context you seem to have missed.
    I missed nothing. I want all energy industry specific subsidies abolished. Let the best energy source win and it will not be non-economically viable sources such as renewables.

As has been pointed out here and elsewhere, those figures for subsidies have likely fallen substantially, as the installed capacity of both solar and wind has expanded markedly. Additionally, costs for solar PV have come down with the alleviation of the silicon bottleneck.

You have a 5 year old, incomplete snapshot, essentially.
    This is nice wishful thinking. Here is the 2010 report but I had to do the calculations myself because for some reason even though the letter from Congress at the end of the report explicitly requests it, the Obama run EIA failed to provide these calculations. I wonder why?

Direct Federal Financial Interventions and Subsidies in Energy in Fiscal Year 2010 (PDF) (EIA)

Natural Gas - $0.64 per megawatt hour
    Coal - $0.63 per megawatt hour
    Hydroelectric - $0.84 per megawatt hour
    Nuclear - $3.09 per megawatt hour
    Wind - $52.48 per megawatt hour
    Solar - $968.00 per megawatt hour

The economics do not favor fossil fuels over the long term. This will become apparent to you in the next 10-15 years, kid.
    Child, if the economics really do not favor fossil fuels then the markets will decide what we should use instead all without government intervention.
    Last edited by Poptech; 05-17-2012 at 01:02 AM.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    That will change within 10-20 years, and quite possibly sooner. By some calculations, it has already happened.

Battery technology advances will mean that the line between the two sectors blurs and disappears at some point.
    Outside of overpriced hybrids and their owners who cannot do math, electric vehicles have too many limitations such as limited range and long recharge times. Improved battery technology requires rare earths which China owns,

Rare earths are vital, and China owns them all (Market Watch, September 24, 2009)

"China accounts for about 97% of global rare-earth production."

Natgas will be used increasingly for fleet vehicles, and to replace aging coal plants.
    Natgas is only replacing coal power plants because of the EPA not because the plants are "old".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Narcissistic personality disorder

Last reviewed: November 14, 2010.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which people have an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with themselves.
    Causes, incidence, and risk factors All Fail

The causes of this disorder are unknown. An overly sensitive personality and parenting problems may affect the development of this disorder.
    Symptoms

A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:

React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation Fail - None of my reactions have been rage, shame or humiliation. This is a forum, you cannot see my physical person which remains completely calm at all times online.

Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals Fail - I have not taken advantage of anyone. That is just absurd.

Have excessive feelings of self-importance Fail - I have no such feelings

Exaggerate achievements and talents Fail - I have exaggerated nothing

Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love Fail - on all counts, I am already successful, I do not seek "power", I am not vain, I have no fantasies about my intelligence, I am in a fullfilling relationship with a beautiful women

Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment True - You got me there, I do not expect to be dishonestly lied about and now smeared as you and RG have done.

Need constant attention and admiration Fail - Absolute fail, You have no idea how I do not care for attention or admiration.

Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy Check - I could careless about yours or anyone else's feelings online. All I care about is what is true.

Have obsessive self-interest - Check - This is true but it has nothing to with this disorder but actually something else. I believe I have a mild form of aspergers syndrome similar to Michael Burry that allows me to relentlessly concentrate on a topic if I choose. This is actually a strength as I effectively never tire.

Pursue mainly selfish goals - Absolutely False - My whole point for doing this is I do not like liars like you and other alarmists. If you never stated any lies I would not even be here.

Signs and tests

Like other personality disorders, narcissistic personality disorder is diagnosed based on a psychological evaluation and the history and severity of the symptoms.
    Treatment

Psychotherapy (for example, talk therapy) may help the affected person relate to other people in a more positive and compassionate way.
    Expectations (prognosis)

The outcome depends on the severity of the disorder.
    Complications

Alcohol or other drug dependence

Relationship, work, and family problems
    Now keep in mind that Burry is a billionaire yet Popcrazy has no delusion of grandeur. He already admits to having some sort of mental illness.

Second aspergers is a disorder that is noted for its sufferers to have no conception of the feelings of others. They cannot interpret facial expressions or body language and do not observe social conventions.

The thing is that aspergers is involuntary. OTOH, personality disorders behave in the same way but they are aware of what they are doing and just do not give a . As you can see from the survey he is aware but just doesn't care.

This is a youtube explaining the difference. I recommend listening to it and think about the symptoms and behaviors and compare them to how Poptech behaves.

Either way, Popcrazy exhibits antisocial behavior. If you go to his site he has multiple posts demonstrating his paranoia towards those he considers his political rivals. He also shows a tendency to stalk others in doing so. He has commented in passing how he wants to see people's IP addresses and he trolls people's profiles.

I am not kidding when I say that he is dangerous. this is not like WC's stupidity. this guy will go after you if you reveal who you are. You can look to his site to see the truth of that. I recommend under no cir stances should someone register with his site and give him any inkling as to your iden y.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of overpriced hybrids and their owners who cannot do math, electric vehicles have too many limitations such as limited range and long recharge times. Improved battery technology requires rare earths which China owns,
    Do you have a link for this? Because the one you included doesn't say that at all... Also, when you say "improved battery technology", what technology are you specifically talking about? Carbon nanotubes anode? Lithium phosphate coating?

Oh, and the reason China controls 95% of the rare-earth supply has to do with them being cheaper, not the rest of the world not having the capability to produce the materials... as a matter of fact, now that China has decided to price them at non-compe ive prices, mining operations are coming back, including in the US...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...g-rises-again/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    china for a long period of time had their prices so low that it was not cost effective to survey for new deposits. now that china has become more protectionist with their supply, mining firms have begun surveying for new deposits. surveying and extraction costs are now cost effective.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cns news...LOL

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    I see FuzzDubmkins has resorted to spamming the same libelous lies over and over which clearly shows he is the one here with a mental illness,
    Psychosis is a symptom or feature of mental illness typically characterized by radical changes in personality, impaired functioning, and a distorted or nonexistent sense of objective reality.

Patients suffering from psychosis have impaired reality testing; that is, they are unable to distinguish personal subjective experience from the reality of the external world. They experience delusions that they believe are real, and may behave and communicate in an inappropriate and incoherent fashion. Psychosis may appear as a symptom of a number of mental disorders, including mood and personality disorders. It is also the defining feature of schizophrenia, schizophreniform disorder, schizoaffective disorder, delusional disorder, and the psychotic disorders (i.e., brief psychotic disorder, shared psychotic disorder, psychotic disorder due to a general medical condition, and substance-induced psychotic disorder).

With regard to substance abuse, several different research groups reported in 2004 that cannabis (marijuana) use is a risk factor for the onset of psychosis.

Psychotic symptoms and behaviors are considered psychiatric emergencies, and persons showing signs of psychosis are frequently taken by family, friends, or the police to a hospital emergency room. A person diagnosed as psychotic can be legally hospitalized against his or her will, particularly if he or she is violent, threatening to commit suicide, or threatening to harm another person. A psychotic person may also be hospitalized if he or she has become malnourished or ill as a result of failure to feed, dress appropriately for the climate, or otherwise take care of him- or herself.
    It is never too late to seek treatment Fuzzy.

If you go to his site he has multiple posts demonstrating his paranoia towards those he considers his political rivals.
    I do not smoke marijuana so I cannot be paranoid. I simply posted the truth about various alarmists.

He also shows a tendency to stalk others in doing so. He has commented in passing how he wants to see people's IP addresses and he trolls people's profiles.
    This is a libelous lie, please provide evidence of me ever stalking anyone. I mentioned IP addresses in relation to revealing sock puppet accounts.

I am not kidding when I say that he is dangerous. this is not like WC's stupidity. this guy will go after you if you reveal who you are. You can look to his site to see the truth of that. I recommend under no cir stances should someone register with his site and give him any inkling as to your iden y.
    This is clear evidence of your psychosis and paranoia. I've "gone after" no one and everything I have revealed about various alarmists can be found for free online.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    GAO To Obama: More Oil Than Rest Of The World (Investors Business Daily, May 14, 2012)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL IBD Editorials.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That oil may as well be in the Moon because extracting it from either place is about equally as likely.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That oil may as well be in the Moon because extracting it from either place is about equally as likely.
    I say; Release the Krakens of Big Oil and they could get oil from the moon and shale in less time than it's going to take green energy to become economical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say; Release the Krakens of Big Oil and they could get oil from the moon and shale in less time than it's going to take green energy to become economical.
    Someone explain to Yoni how hydrocarbons form and see if you can get him to stop being willfully ignorant on solar power rends. Also explain to him that green energy is not competing with oil as virtually no oil goes to provide energy for homes.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Oh, and the reason China controls 95% of the rare-earth supply has to do with them being cheaper, not the rest of the world not having the capability to produce the materials... as a matter of fact, now that China has decided to price them at non-compe ive prices, mining operations are coming back, including in the US...
    Incorrect, China still holds the largest rare-earth reserves in the world regardless of the price,

I love the irony of those who support mining for REOs because it supports their emotional attachment to electric vehicles but are against mining for hydrocarbons. Is mining for REOs the new green?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Someone explain to Yoni how hydrocarbons form and see if you can get him to stop being willfully ignorant on solar power rends. Also explain to him that green energy is not competing with oil as virtually no oil goes to provide energy for homes.
    Did you forget natural gas comes from the same sources as oil, coal, etc?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I hear you're going to get a load of NG and coal out of that shale.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY STUPID PEOPLE IN THE WORLD?!?!?!?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I hear you're going to get a load of NG and coal out of that shale.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY STUPID PEOPLE IN THE WORLD?!?!?!?!?
    Because people like you have sex?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because people like you have sex?
    Saying that you can get hydrocarbons off the moon was pretty stupid, Yoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're the one that equated the two.

So, it's more likely oil can be extracted from shale than from the Moon, correct?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say there was any oil on the moon, Yoni.

As such, I also didn't say that it was more likely for oil on the moon to be extracted than oil from shale.

Reading is hard!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're the one that equated the two.

So, it's more likely oil can be extracted from shale than from the Moon, correct?
    It was a comparison of cost. Deriving fuels from the shale is costly and resource intensive. You know that. At least you should; if you cannot that creates a completely different issue.

Will you even acknowledge the trends in the cost of solar energy? You avoid the figures like the plague.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its the only way to remain willfully ignorant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Yoni really believing there was oil on the moon, though. All those moon dinosaurs died and formed hyrdocrabons!!! We'll be able to get some good offshore drilling on the moon. The biggest deposits will likely be in the Sea of Tranquility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say there was any oil on the moon, Yoni.
    Nor did I. Using the same license as you, I suggested the oil industry could get oil from the Moon before green energy could ever be made economical enough to replace hydrocarbons.

As such, I also didn't say that it was more likely for oil on the moon to be extracted than oil from shale.
    I didn't say you said it was more likely. I posted your quote; you clearly said it was equally likely. And, of course, we both know that's not true.

I have confidence the oil industry can develop a technology to recover shale oil long before green energy is ever an economical alternative.

Reading is hard!!!!!
    Apparently, for some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Yoni really believing there was oil on the moon, though. All those moon dinosaurs died and formed hyrdocrabons!!! We'll be able to get some good offshore drilling on the moon. The biggest deposits will likely be in the Sea of Tranquility.
    @ Manny really believing oil comes from dinosaurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, money is a medium of exchange. The possibility exists that commodities such as oil can be used as money but so far society has preferred fiat currencies and precious metals.

Since money is a medium of exchange yes you would use it to purchase energy that does not mean they are the same thing.

You need to hang out with more peak oil conspiracy theorists.

He makes no argument against this as this is widely understood. The point being that even difficult and expensive to refine oil is still more economically viable than alternative liquid fuels.

Even with all these costs factored in, tar sands are still more economically viable than alternative liquid fuels.

Nothing really to comment on.

I am not a peak oil doom and gloomer. I read oil company financials, and technical papers on the subject.

We are not going to run out of oil and civilization is not going to collapse.

Tar sands may not be more viable than natgas in the short term, but natgas suffersn the same drawbacks as other emerging technologies like EVs, i.e. not enough infrastructure built for it.

Thread Information