Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eagle Ford oil levels expected to soar

The development of the Eagle Ford Shale continues to prompt dazzling assessments and predictions from experts, who said at an energy symposium Wednesday that in four years, the oil-rich formation could become the nation's second-most-productive shale play.

Production in the Eagle Ford could reach 1 million barrels a day by 2016, a year after the Bakken Shale in North Dakota and Montana does, said Trevor Sloan, director of energy research at ITG Investment Research in Calgary, Canada. “So the growth rate out of there would be pretty spectacular.”

But before production can reach that level, some problems have to be solved.

About 1,400 Eagle Ford wells are waiting to be completed or to be tied to pipelines, ITG research shows. There are also shortages of crews and water and too few pipelines.

Once the problems of getting the oil and gas to market are gone, production from the Eagle Ford could double, and “the Eagle Ford would be the second-largest producing area if you could bring all those to market,” Sloan said.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1vBMVZics

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ar-3564103.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Manny really believing oil comes from dinosaurs.
    Only on the moon, Yoni.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only on the moon, Yoni.
    If you say so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had to do the calculations myself

Natural Gas - $0.64 per megawatt hour
    Coal - $0.63 per megawatt hour
    Hydroelectric - $0.84 per megawatt hour
    Nuclear - $3.09 per megawatt hour
    Wind - $52.48 per megawatt hour
    Solar - $968.00 per megawatt hour

http://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests...df/subsidy.pdf
    You calculated those yourself?

Funny, I didn't see the total number of installed megawatts for those sources of power in the report.

Could you tell me which tables in that pdf you got that information from?
    I would also like to see your work on that, so I can tell if your calculations are correct.

I would like to be able to recreate those calculations myself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not outside a university lab and in calculators. If you are so certain then move to abolish all energy subsidies (the bulk of which for oil were abolished under Reagan). Government intervention is not needed in the energy industry and only causes market distortions.

I missed nothing. I want all energy industry specific subsidies abolished. Let the best energy source win and it will not be non-economically viable sources such as renewables.

This is nice wishful thinking. Here is the 2010 report but I had to do the calculations myself because for some reason even though the letter from Congress at the end of the report explicitly requests it, the Obama run EIA failed to provide these calculations. I wonder why?

Child, if the economics really do not favor fossil fuels then the markets will decide what we should use instead all without government intervention.
    They will indeed.

I am all for eliminating subsidies over time. I think the time where the subsidies for renewables should start phasing out is very soon.

Renewables as a technology are maturing, and benefitting from efficencies of scale and manufacturing learning curves. I think they are at the point where they need less and less in the way of intervention.

Your assumption that they are not viable without subsidies is not one that will be permanent, and the long term trends that have been progressing for the last 20-30 years are going to change everything, and that will happen fairly soon.

There are a number of rather disruptive technologies that are going to cause quite a bit of change in the next decade.

It will be interesting to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of overpriced hybrids and their owners who cannot do math, electric vehicles have too many limitations such as limited range and long recharge times. Improved battery technology requires rare earths which China owns,

Rare earths are vital, and China owns them all (Market Watch, September 24, 2009)

"China accounts for about 97% of global rare-earth production."

Natgas is only replacing coal power plants because of the EPA not because the plants are "old".
    Battery costs per unit of stored energy have come down by a factor of two in the last few years. This trend will continue, as there is a HUGE amount of money at stake for the company that gets the costs down fastest.

Things have happened in the last 3 years in the issue of Chinese rare earth exports. Not sure why you are hanging your hat on financial news that old.

Try this one:
    China lifts rare earth export quotas as market demand sours
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226359934072

A study by the Defense Department published in March finds that the stranglehold China has on rare earth production could be coming to an end with new production facilities in North America coming online. The Defense Department report concluded that by 2013 the U.S. military, which is almost completely dependent on China for rare earth elements, will be able to meet a majority of their demand.
    The analysis I have read has said that China controls this because it has been so cheap for so long, no one bothered to find alternate sources.

Their restrictions of exports has spurred the rest of the world to find new sources rather frantically, and unsurprisingly, they found what they were looking for.

Long term, such restrictions are unlikely to hold with global pressure on China to ease them anyway.

Range and recharge issues are being solved in a variety of very clever ways. You aren't bringing up things that a lot of solid R & D money isn't already addressing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (sigh)

This is the same op ed from the OP, goober.

Further the limitations of this energy have already been addressed.

Do keep up.

This bit was addressed starting with post #14 of this thread.

Have you found the magic water to make this possible yet?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol kraken

lol independence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say; Release the Krakens of Big Oil and they could get oil from the moon and shale in less time than it's going to take green energy to become economical.
    Big oil has known about this for 50+ years.

I grew up in the rockies, and remember hearing about it for as long as I can remember.

It won't happen.

By the time it becomes economically feasible, other forms of energy will be far cheaper.

You dont' seem to realize the world has changed in the last 10 years, and that pace of change is accelerating.

I think you and a lot of other peole who fashion themselves as conservatives have some bizarre anti-renewable knee-jerk reaction, and this causes a great deal of confirmation bias about what is going on.

You seem to be missing something, no offense.

I try to be as realistic as possible about this.

Renewables aren't going to fully replace oil in my lifetime.

They are going to provide, for the first time, an appreciable amount of global energy.

Our energy mix will shift. No more no less.

This shift will, by all data available, happen fairly soon, and is already taking place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign...-manufacturers

The United States Commerce Department ruled Thursday that Chinese manufacturers are guilty of dumping solar panels in the US market for less than it cost to make them, a violation of World Trade Organization rules that had harmed American manufacturers.

As a result, the Chinese manufacturers – including Wuxi Suntech Power Co., Ltd. and Changzhou Trina Solar Energy Col, Ltd., among others – will have to start paying a tariff of more than 31 percent when their products enter the US market.

The ruling adds a major point of friction to already troubled US-China relations, which have been soured recently by a dispute over human rights.

The ruling was a major victory for a coalition led by seven companies with US facilities that brought the trade complaint last fall. That group, the Coalition for American Solar Manufacturing (CASM), led by German-based Solar World, which has US manufacturing plants, called the Commerce finding a positive first step.
    Apparently Germany and the Chinese think the solar market is worth competing for.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Could you tell me which tables in that pdf you got that information from?
    Pages xviii and xx.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    (sigh)

This is the same op ed from the OP
    It was in response to the implication that there was a problem with the article because of the source (CNS News).
    Last edited by Poptech; 05-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    They will indeed.
    This argument can be settled at any time, abolish all energy subsidies.

I am all for eliminating subsidies over time. I think the time where the subsidies for renewables should start phasing out is very soon.

Renewables as a technology are maturing, and benefitting from efficencies of scale and manufacturing learning curves. I think they are at the point where they need less and less in the way of intervention.
    Nothing economically viable requires government intervention.

Your assumption that they are not viable without subsidies is not one that will be permanent, and the long term trends that have been progressing for the last 20-30 years are going to change everything, and that will happen fairly soon.
    This is all wishful thinking. I will believe it when I see it.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Let the intervention be private. Not public. That's one very big problem with government today. Things are dome with other people's money.

Let those who feel subsidizing a particular technology give money to a charity that supports such financial ventures.

We need to stop the damn tax payer subsidies.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Battery costs per unit of stored energy have come down by a factor of two in the last few years. This trend will continue, as there is a HUGE amount of money at stake for the company that gets the costs down fastest.
    Battery technology progresses at a glacial pace, I am not impressed.

The analysis I have read has said that China controls this because it has been so cheap for so long, no one bothered to find alternate sources.

Their restrictions of exports has spurred the rest of the world to find new sources rather frantically, and unsurprisingly, they found what they were looking for.

Long term, such restrictions are unlikely to hold with global pressure on China to ease them anyway.
    There are some alternative sources that are known but the problem is environmentalists - who do not like mining at all. Why would they like mining ROEs? Is mining ROEs the new green?

China still controls the largest reserves,

Range and recharge issues are being solved in a variety of very clever ways. You aren't bringing up things that a lot of solid R & D money isn't already addressing.
    I have seen no solutions superior to liquid fuels. Yes, I am aware of the silly "rent a battery" station idea.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    There are some alternative sources that are known but the problem is environmentalists - who do not like mining at all. Why would they like mining ROEs? Is mining ROEs the new green?
    The board liberals don't care as long as the mining us done in China.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WC should just get it over with and ask Poptech out.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    WC should just get it over with and ask Poptech out.
    Yes we know these are the fantasies you constantly think about and you desperately want to come out, no one is stopping you.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Yes we know these are the fantasies you constantly think about and you desperately want to come out, no one is stopping you.
    OMG... glad I still have the pervert on IGNORE. He sure has sexual thoughts on his mind a lot.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    US imposes tariff on Chinese solar panels, a victory for US manufacturers

Apparently Germany and the Chinese think the solar market is worth competing for.
    The economically illiterate Obama administration strikes again! Finally! Since the poor have been punished by paying higher prices for tires thanks to Obama now wealthy environmentalists can feel the poor's pain and pay higher prices for the their solar panels thanks to Obama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OMG... glad I still have the pervert on IGNORE. He sure has sexual thoughts on his mind a lot.
    Who said anything was wrong with being sexual? The 'I know you are but what am I' routine is cute though.

After Popcrazy admitted to his mental illness, you started talking about your past and growing up and how you had similar issues with being good at math and struggled in other classes. How you too were ridiculed and were probably considered a nerd.

It was pretty obvious that you saw a kindred spirit in him as much as you were preening for him. There are many similarities between the two of you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The board liberals don't care as long as the mining us done in China.
    Strawman.

You don't care as long as the oil and gas industry is protected. Its pretty obvious that you both only argue for the conclusion. Reality is secondary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incorrect, China still holds the largest rare-earth reserves in the world regardless of the price
    They only hold 37% of actual proven reserves.

I love the irony of those who support mining for REOs because it supports their emotional attachment to electric vehicles but are against mining for hydrocarbons. Is mining for REOs the new green?
    Talking about electric vehicles, you sidestep the battery question(s) and sourcing... let me know when you can back that claim up... won't be holding my breath...

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Who said anything was wrong with being sexual? The 'I know you are but what am I' routine is cute though.
    Just come out already. Personally I am a happy heterosexual.

After Popcrazy admitted to his mental illness
    I admitted no such thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta google quicker, Pops... you slippin...

Thread Information