Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, these are daunting personnel matchups, but aren't the Spurs 8-2 against the same Thunder with basically the same one-on-one matchups the past two years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only way Thunder can win is if SA has an off game. SA will not have 4 off games.... just my opinion after all. Im one of the few who think Thunder does not pose a problem to SA.
    I have the same prediction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, these are daunting personnel matchups, but aren't the Spurs 8-2 against the same Thunder with basically the same one-on-one matchups the past two years?

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker vs. Russell Westbrook
    One important fact to remember: Parker already faced Harris and a somewhat nijured (as always) Paul, and dominated both. Westbrook faced the living zombie of Kidd and... nobody in the 2nd round (do the Lakers even have a point guard?)

That's a huge difference, and I expect Westbrook to struggle when finally confronted with resistance. I'm also convinced that the Spurs are going to get into his head and push him to play hero ball to the detriment of the team.

Contrary to you, I feel Westbrook is overrated right now. His main achievements so far has been to dominate teams with bad/no PG because he's been given the minutes and leeway to do so.

Manu Ginobili vs. James Harden

... They're both left-handed guards who come off the bench that bring shooting, ball-handling, playmaking, passing, craftiness and a high basketball IQ to the table.
    You forgot the flopping

This is a key matchup and unfortunately one where I see the Thunder getting the upper hand. If there's one series in this postseason where the Spurs need Manu in top playoff form, it's this one.

Kawhi Leonard vs. Kevin Durant
    I'll say I'm going to be very impressed if KL can slow down KD a bit, or even make him work for his shots, but Kawhi has been surprising me all year long. The only rookies playing with so much poise and control have been all-time greats, tbh.

This being said I think it's more likely that Kawhi will unfortunately get into foul trouble early.

There's only one team in the whole NBA with THREE players in the top 10 in FTA, and that's OKC. Durant is #3, Westbrook is #7 and Harden #10. Only the Lakers have 2 players in the top 20, and SA has none.

The Thunder have been the true NBA darlings this year, being gifted an unbelievable number of calls. Whoever thought the Clippers were flopping are going to be introduced to the masters in the next series, and the refs are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

This is bad news for at least Kawhi and Diaw, and probably Duncan if he doesn't get at least a little bit of star treatment.

Tim Duncan vs. OKC's Frontline
    I'm not really afraid of Perkins, Nazr or Collinson. Ibaka is another issue entirely, especially since he possesses the ability to block the same player several times in a row and completely take him out of his game.

Gary Neal vs. Derek Fisher
    I know Fisher is the Spurs kryptonite, but his best days are definitely over (especially seeing the way the Lakers dumped him). He could still be clutch, but I actually don't think he will be on the floor any more at that point.

As somebody else pointed out, the Spurs are 3-4 in series against Fisher, so it's not like he killed us every time, but he was certainly a difference maker when it was close. I don't expect to hear much from him this series though.

One last thing to be afraid of: the Spurs are 8-0 taking out the Jazz and Clippers (two teams nobody was particularly scared of) while OKC is 8-1 taking out the defending champ and the Lakers, with the only loss coming with iffy reffing. Their run is at least as impressive as ours, although we have the advantage when it comes to margin of victory (OKC seemed to have a lot of highly contested wins).

All in all the Spurs match up well against OKC. I'm still very confident as I still think OKC is overrated, especially the way they crumble towards the end of the season. They are still young and despite their talent can still be dismantled by a team with more experience. I say Spurs in 5, each team winning all its games at home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say Spurs in 5, each team winning all its games at home.
    If each team wins all of its games at home, wouldn't that mean Spurs in 7? Spurs in five would imply an SAS win at OKC, since the schedule is SAS-SAS-OKC-OKC-SAS-OKC-SAS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 things that may be worth considering about a Spurs/Thunder series:

1) In the regular season, these teams faced each other three times, with all three times coming before Jack and Diaw joined the team.
    2) Manu was out for all three games as well due to injury.
    3) The Spurs still took 2 out of those 3 games (with Parker and Blair not playing half the game they lost due to injury/cramps).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1) In the regular season, these teams faced each other three times, with all three times coming before Jack and Diaw joined the team.
    3) The Spurs still took 2 out of those 3 games (with Parker and Blair not playing half the game they lost due to injury/cramps).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only way Thunder can win is if SA has an off game. SA will not have 4 off games.... just my opinion after all. Im one of the few who think Thunder does not pose a problem to SA.
    Alot of people would have to have off games. Even in the LA series not everybody had a good series but it didn't matter. For the Thunder they just need Westbrook, Durant, or Harden to have an off game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do the spurs defend Durant coming off screens for open Js?

How do the spurs defend Westbrook walk up mid range j?

How do the spurs defend james harden pnrs?

If they somewhat contain 2 out of 3, spurs have a good shot

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If each team wins all of its games at home, wouldn't that mean Spurs in 7? Spurs in five would imply an SAS win at OKC, since the schedule is SAS-SAS-OKC-OKC-SAS-OKC-SAS.
    Haha that's right. So let's make that SA wins all its home games and steals the 2nd one in OKC.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Neal is the x-factor this series off the bench. Don't be surprised to see him have a couple of big shooting nights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derek Fisher is playing 21 mpg in playoffs.I think Scott Brooks is overvaluing his importance based on his experience.Im expecting big minutes and big play from Gary Neal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This series will be decided by defense. When 2 offensive juggernauts go at each other, the team that can defend against the others weapons will come out on top.

I don't think beating the Lakers was that much of an accomplishment. I really don't. Heck, Denver had a chance to beat LA. LA had leads in several games, but bad habits cost them in the 4th quarter. If Kobe was 27, he could play hero ball and get the W, but he ain't 27 anymore and tired legs leads to missed fadeaways from the perimeter.

The Spurs OTOH have been a model of precision execution the last couple months. Everyone provided the Clips with excuses, Blakes knee, Pauls hip blah blah blah. Well, Paul had a pretty good showing in game 4 when the Spurs were coming of the B2B and relaxed a little bit huh?

When healthy, the Spurs have always been able to develop schemes to frustrate elite level PG's. Billups, Nash and now CP3. They'll come up with something to limit Westbrook.

Oh, and the Spurs' 3pt shooters haven't shown any indication of shrinking under the bright lights. When the Spurs hit their 3's they win. ALWAYS!

Spurs in 6. MAX.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chances of Blair playing?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubtful.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't remind me.

However, surely Zombie Fisher, the 37yo shambling around the court and pretending to be a basketball player, is not going to break our hearts again? Surely this our time to even the score at 4-4?! I bloody hope so!
    Fisher ain't on the Lakers anymore, and he's a lot older and slower. I'm not worried about him. Worry about Durant, Westbrook, and Harden.

Spurs in 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs in 6.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think this series goes 6 or 7 games.

I'll say spurs in 7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, how did Jazz Fisher do against the Spurs in 2007? was he the same Spurs killer he's been while on a Lakers uniform?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just did a little homework looking at the three games they played and Spurs won 2-1, with one big road win.

HOWEVER....NONE, I repeat, NONE of the games included Manu, Boris, or Jax in our lineup. Our one loss did include RJ, take that as you will.

So realistically, comparing these teams becomes much more difficult b/c these players never even played against the Thunder this year. This happens to buoy my confidence at least winning through Games 1 and 2. Overall I'll take the Spurs, my team, in 5 on our drive for #5. We will win one at OKC, btw.

mando

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whoops, didn't see this, good points, same as mine!

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs in 7 or OKC in 6. El Che and his team still doing computations...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In one game OKC didn't included Harden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be critical that Spurs hold serve the first two games. Let those kids steal one here and OKC is gonna be a madhouse.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, how did Jazz Fisher do against the Spurs in 2007? was he the same Spurs killer he's been while on a Lakers uniform?
    Don't know if this is rhetorical or not, but Manu ing owned him. Scored on him, drew fouls, frustrated him. I think Fisher got at least one technical in that series because he was so pissed at Manu. I think one reason the Jazz fans booed Manu in the first round this year is because of the hurting he put on Fish in that series.

Thread Information