Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats what i been saying. Thunder aint got nothing new to bring to the table since they last played. Im not saying its gonna be a blow out, their gonna be tough wins, but i see the spurs losing game 3, thats about it.

I hope they go 7, I see them splitting the first 4 games at each other's home court and Spurs prevail in game 7 with a Diaw buzzer beater! Lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finally, a realistic look at a very tough matchup against the thunder. so many spur fans calling for a sweep . there's going to be a lot of bumping of old threads if the thunder eliminate the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be reluctant to draw much from any of the games from this past regular season.

The first game, in early January, was the 3rd night of a back-to-back-to-back for the Thunder (they played Houston home-and-home before that game) and the 2nd night of a back-to-back for the Spurs (they beat Denver at home the night before).

The game played in SA was the 2nd night of a back-to-back for the Thunder (they had played Memphis at home the night before).

The second game played in OKC in mid-March was also the 2nd night of a back-to-back for the Thunder (they had played the night before in Denver).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...the Thunder struggle with the Lakers, who are pretty ty and didn't seem to be playing particularly good basketball. Part of me expects the Spurs to walk over them with relative ease, but the Thunder deserve respect because they're a good team and they're healthy and playing well.
    This is where I'm at with this matchup. The Lakers weren't that good. And even though OKC swept them, the Mavs still gave them a better than expected run. With the WCF matchup, I've seen numerous folks say the level of compe ion will go up for the Spurs, but I think this can be said just as much for the Thunder.

As much as the Spurs try to deflect the inquiries about the streak, in the back of their minds it's right there. I think they all realize they have a chance to do something epic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having the best players in the world means nothing without a great coach. Pop is the best coach in the game at making adjustments. The Thunder have Scott Brooks. Scott Brooks. That's enough to put them over the top.
    Yup, Spurs have a 4-time champion coach. OKC has Franklin and Bash. We know drama.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is where I'm at with this matchup. The Lakers weren't that good. And even though OKC swept them, the Mavs still gave them a better than expected run. With the WCF matchup, I've seen numerous folks say the level of compe ion will go up for the Spurs, but I think this can be said just as much for the Thunder.

As much as the Spurs try to deflect the inquiries about the streak, in the back of their minds it's right there. I think they all realize they have a chance to do something epic.
    Yep, there's little doubt that the Clippers are better than the Mavs.

Only God Can Judge Me Quiet Strength's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, Spurs have a 4-time champion coach. OKC has Franklin and Bash. We know drama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manu Ginobili vs. James Harden
    This will be billed as Manu Ginobili 1.0 going up against Manu Ginobili 2.0. When you watch James Harden, you'll notice a lot of similarities between the two players. They're both left-handed guards who come off the bench that bring shooting, ball-handling, playmaking, passing, craftiness and a high basketball IQ to the table. It's safe to say they are the two best reserves in the NBA.

Harden has been very good to begin these playoffs. He's authored big play after big play and his ability to get to the free throw line has been a game-changing attribute.

Ginobili, conversely, has had a relatively slow start to the postseason. His outside shooting is off and he's just not as crisp as we've come to expect. The good news is we've seen glimpses of his greatness.

The Spurs will need Ginobili to at least play Harden to a stand-still. It's a tall order but I believe Ginobili will rise to the occasion.
    An angle I haven't seen anyone bring up yet is the complication Ginobili potentially causes for the Thunder by coming off the bench. Ideally, you'd think that Brooks would want to put Sefolosha on him, and it's true that Sefolosha has had some success guarding Ginobili in the past. However, since Sefolosha starts and Harden basically plays the same minute/subs ution patterns as Ginobili (give or take a few mins) right now it doesn't appear that Brooks will get to have Sefolosha guarding Manu very much without radically changing his rotation.

How about it LJ? You think Brooks decides to flip the script and have Harden start, just so he can bring Sefolosha off the bench to deal with Manu? We might have a situation akin to hockey, with the coaches trying to match lines, so to speak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not fair to put the entire burden of the Spurs' season on Leonard. He doesn't even need to limit Durant's scoring for the Spurs to win. In fact, I hope he takes 30-40 shots a game. If he and Westbrook score 80 points, then we just need to hold everyone else to under 20 to keep the total points under 100.

If the Thunder don't score 100 points, they don't keep up with our offense, and they lose.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I donīt think the personal Matchups are very important in this series, and part of me tends to believe that unless something out of the ordinary happens the Spurs should take no more than 6 games to finish OKC off.

That said, itīs fun to play this matchup game, but i think as a team overall the Spurs are far better team in the way that there is almost no impulsive plays out there while the thunder rely a lot more on the circus shot or circus block here and there.

Both Spurs offense and defense, team wise, seems the edge our team has.

Still i am not saying we will win in 6, but some part of me would say it if i was more of an arrogant fan, Pop is to blame for me not saying that. Appropiate fear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think one thing that the Spurs will have to show in this series is their offensive versatility. They are much better at that than the Thunder are, and I think it will be important for San Antonio to turn that into an advantage on the floor.
    The Thunder aren't exactly that well-balanced a team. If you look at their S5, you more or less have three players in Ibaka, Perkins and Sefolosha that don't have much of an offensive game. As a result of that, OKC's game can get a bit stagnant at times, which is something you would like to enforce if possible.

Also, Manu being closer to his best than he has been so far in the playoffs will be absolutely crucial.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The length of the break and the hype that will be generated over the course of the next week reminds me of the West Finals series in 2001.

Top two seeds. Everyone waiting to see them play. Lingering assumption that there would be no better series in the playoffs. One team coming in off of two sweeps; the other coming in after facing little resistance.

Here's to a better result. . . .
    It wouldn't shock me if it turned out that the better team won a super-intense short series instead of a long one. If one team has some advantages they can figure out how to exploit consistently, they might just keep doing it all series long. Because I seriously doubt that either team will just fail to show up for a game against such a dangerous opponent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs will win in six. There is bound to be a game or two where Durant and Westbrook are just completely and totally unstoppable. To win those games, the Spurs would have to have the Big 3 really clicking and/or a few more players "coming along for the ride" as Sean Elliott would say.

It will be interesting to see how Tony does in this series. Though he played well overall, he really struggled from the field against the Clippers (and with reason, the D was all over him). I think for the Spurs to be able to handle the Thunder, he needs to be extremely aggressive and shoot much closer to 50 percent.

Duncan is playing so well that I don't doubt he'll be awesome.

A couple "vintage Manu" performances a long the way would help too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've long thought that the 2001 West Finals basically turned from a long drawn-out series into a very short one over a span of about 1 minute in the 4th quarter of Game 2. The Spurs were in position to get the game and even the series -- though they had already blown a 10 point second half lead after Phil Jackson had been ejected -- in the last two minutes of that game. But Shaq blocked a David Robinson shot, then made a layup to stretch the lead to 4. After Terry Porter was way long on an open 3 from the top of the key, Antonio Daniels sank down into the lane and left Kobe alone for a top of the key 3; 30 seconds later, Fisher drained another 3 and that series was over. Going out to LA down 0-2, the Spurs knew they weren't going to rally to win that series and played like it. What could have been a close series changed in that minute and became one of the most lopsided series in conference finals history.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The length of the break and the hype that will be generated over the course of the next week reminds me of the West Finals series in 2001.

Top two seeds. Everyone waiting to see them play. Lingering assumption that there would be no better series in the playoffs. One team coming in off of two sweeps; the other coming in after facing little resistance.

Here's to a better result. . . .
    Nah, I'd be happy if the team that swept twice swept for a third time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tp will be big
    but this series is one that sj can really make an impact on

I also listened to Westbrooks coments to the tnt crew last night in the game. Spurs are already in Westbrook head. HE said mentally they have to be ready. He brought up they won so many games in a row.

spurs win big the first couple of games
    spurs could actually sweep only if they get in thunder head more about unable to beat the spurs. I think this goes 6 games though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not as worried about this series as I would've been if we were playing the Lakers. Spurs take this one in 5 games. The Mavs and Lakers were slow, uncommitted to transistion defense and didn't have guys who could shoot the ball when it mattered. I think this comes down to Diaw and Bonner. Everyone will be surprised how easy this series will be!!! The OKC jumpshooters can do alot of things well, don't get me wrong, but over a 48 minute game, we will be the better team. Blair should get some time in this series with the second unit of OKC and we will be OK. When this series is over, I'm going to party like it's 1999!!!! Book it!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've long thought that the 2001 West Finals basically turned from a long drawn-out series into a very short one over a span of about 1 minute in the 4th quarter of Game 2. The Spurs were in position to get the game and even the series -- though they had already blown a 10 point second half lead after Phil Jackson had been ejected -- in the last two minutes of that game. But Shaq blocked a David Robinson shot, then made a layup to stretch the lead to 4. After Terry Porter was way long on an open 3 from the top of the key, Antonio Daniels sank down into the lane and left Kobe alone for a top of the key 3; 30 seconds later, Fisher drained another 3 and that series was over. Going out to LA down 0-2, the Spurs knew they weren't going to rally to win that series and played like it. What could have been a close series changed in that minute and became one of the most lopsided series in conference finals history.
    I thought the series was decided way earlier than that. The Spurs came out strong and built a decent lead in the first 5 minutes or so of game 1 and finally there looked like there was a team that was going to challenge those Lakers. Then Pop subbed DRob out and everything came crashing down and the Lakers went on a big run. At that moment I knew the series was unwinnable since David wasn't going to be able to play 43 minutes a night.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've long thought that the 2001 West Finals basically turned from a long drawn-out series into a very short one over a span of about 1 minute in the 4th quarter of Game 2. ... What could have been a close series changed in that minute and became one of the most lopsided series in conference finals history.
    My goodness, I can't believe you brought up the most embarrassing moment of my life as a Spurs fan. To see them quit, just absolutely quit, was so painful and humiliating. Thanks for ruining 5 minutes of my afternoon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the series was decided way earlier than that. The Spurs came out strong and built a decent lead in the first 5 minutes or so of game 1 and finally there looked like there was a team that was going to challenge those Lakers. Then Pop subbed DRob out and everything came crashing down and the Lakers went on a big run. At that moment I knew the series was unwinnable since David wasn't going to be able to play 43 minutes a night.
    Undoubtedly the Lakers were the superior team. I'm not suggesting that the Spurs would have won the series had that minute or so of Game 2 gone differently.

I think, though, that one minute stretch of game time assured that it would be a sweep, rather than a 6 game series.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 2001 series against the Lakers ended just before halftime of game 1 against the Mavericks, folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is going the full 7 games. Home court advantage will prevail in the end.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This is going to be an amazing series no doubt about it. I feel the Spurs have better coaching, the deeper team, and more experience. I say Spurs in six but each game will be a good one and I highly doubt there will be any blowouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be reluctant to draw much from any of the games from this past regular season.

The first game, in early January, was the 3rd night of a back-to-back-to-back for the Thunder (they played Houston home-and-home before that game) and the 2nd night of a back-to-back for the Spurs (they beat Denver at home the night before).

The game played in SA was the 2nd night of a back-to-back for the Thunder (they had played Memphis at home the night before).

The second game played in OKC in mid-March was also the 2nd night of a back-to-back for the Thunder (they had played the night before in Denver).
    Yeah don't take into account that Spurs didn't have Manu, Jack or Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two more things OKC struggles with. High pick and rolls and good point guards.

*throws hands up *

Thread Information