Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper OKC seems to have some slight advantages in matchups but we have depth, poise, home court, and we're already in their heads. I expect Westbrook to come out strong and overcompensate. In fact, I think Tony may bait him into trying to takeover. Between Westbrook, Durant, and Harden I think we are best equipped to defend Westbrook with Tony. If we can get West to take shots away from the other two, then I like our chances a lot more.

Not sure how we go about that, but I don't think we'll be able to stop Durant or harden, so it makes sense to pick our poison, limit transition, and make them play mistake-free ball, which isn't really their strength.

So in other words, we need to stick to our offense plan religously and be focused on D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is going to be a very tough series but I think the Spurs will win in 6

I know Thunder like to play fast but in the 1st and 2nd round they played against teams who like slower paces. Let's see how they will adjust for us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah don't take into account that Spurs didn't have Manu, Jack or Diaw.
    I'm perfectly aware of that.

Do you think teams, generally speaking, play their best ball on the second nights of back-to-backs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Parker doesn't hit his mid range jumper, and manu remains ice cold from beyond the arc we are going to lose.
    If they can hit their jump shots consistently we are going to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it comes down to the wire, when tears and sweat have been bled, the players finding new, last bits of energy to keep them going, and all they have is will, the OKC players will say this:

"We have another chance, there will be other years. It would be great to win now, but this is not the last time."

And the SAS players will say this:

"This may be the last chance, probably is, forever. We've won before, are proud, and want one more taste from the cup before it is out of reach forever."

And that will be the margin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper OKC seems to have some slight advantages in matchups but we have depth, poise, home court, and we're already in their heads. I expect Westbrook to come out strong and overcompensate. In fact, I think Tony may bait him into trying to takeover. Between Westbrook, Durant, and Harden I think we are best equipped to defend Westbrook with Tony. If we can get West to take shots away from the other two, then I like our chances a lot more.

Not sure how we go about that, but I don't think we'll be able to stop Durant or harden, so it makes sense to pick our poison, limit transition, and make them play mistake-free ball, which isn't really their strength.

So in other words, we need to stick to our offense plan religously and be focused on D.
    With Leonard, Green & Jack all taking turns keeping Durant at bay I think it's Westbrook who is actually the bigger threat to go off. Too big and athletic for Tony and too quick for Green, I'm not sure who on the spurs is most qualified to slow him down. I think the key to slowing him down is making him shoot in his non-comfort zones (like Timvp's previous thread a few months ago laid out) and hope he shoots a low %.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm perfectly aware of that.

Do you think teams, generally speaking, play their best ball on the second nights of back-to-backs?
    No but it defiantly does not hurt young teams as much as old teams.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so far I have not seen Jackson is significantly better than RJ, I hope he will show up in this series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so far I have not seen Jackson is significantly better than RJ, I hope he will show up in this series.
    I agree in regards to the Clipper series.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree in regards to the Clipper series.
    well, the Jazz series are really pseudo playoff games.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you considered Diaw on Durant?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you considered Diaw on Durant?
    No I gave up alcohol a couple years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be critical that Spurs hold serve the first two games. Let those kids steal one here and OKC is gonna be a madhouse.
    This. Absolutely.

It is one of the reasons that I almost wish we had already put a close to the 'winning streak'. The first two games here in S.A. are not one that you want to lose. No way. Lose game 3 or 4, but the first two are super-critical.

I think this series goes the distance, and I hope we win it.

But this is a talented and hungry young team we are facing now. We will be challenged far more than we have to date.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder are probably more talented...
    But it takes more than talent to win.

Which team is more skilled?

The Spurs make the most use of their abilities... harness their talent and release it in a focus controlled manner with deliberate intent. They also have enough basketball experience, instincts, intangibles and savvy... a en.. that they can thrive in a chaotic environment and still find success. They bend but don't break.

I think if the Thunder can run free it will be a tough match, but if they are forced to execute execute execute... they will fail, because they are so reliant on their talent to win.

But maybe above all... Spurs fighting spirit > Thunder fighting spirit.

If the prowess of the teams were too far apart, then spirit alone could hardly overcome sheer ability, but when they are near in ability, then spirit alone is the difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought that Duncan would have a HUGE series against the Clippers and he did, because their front line is not as good as many of the others we have faced, and they are not in the same league as Duncan in terms of experience and skill sets.

In this one, I still Duncan as far more experienced and with a wider skill set than anyone in their front line. Perkins is a terrifically strong defender, but I think Tim can get him in foul trouble without too much trouble. If they put Ibaka on Duncan, then Duncan takes him out to the elbow and shoots jump shots, freeing up the rim for our guards.

Ibaka will block shots, but so will Duncan. Ibaka is better than anyone on the Clippers team, but that is about it. Perkins can't grow between now and Sunday, and Ibaka doesn't have Duncan's experience. Collison is mediocre against most teams and is foul prone. I think Bonner will have a good time with Collison.

All of this says to me that Duncan should have another edge in this series not unlike he did in the last, and he should dominate.

Parker is smaller and not as physically strong as Westbrook. Manu is slighter than Harden and will have to use a lot of his experience to outwit him.

Of the big threes, then, to me, Duncan's match ups will be the easiest, and Parker and Manu will have harder times in their match-ups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scott Brooks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think OKC is going to have adjust to what the Spurs do a of a lot more than the other way around. Brooks' ability to make in-game & off-day adjustments is still unproven as best.

If the Spurs can keep their Big 3 from living at the foul line (which is something the Spurs excel at) and keep turnovers down (another Spur strength) then I just don't see how OKC has enough offensive firepower to keep up with the Spurs.

They are a poor executing team offensively (though i was impressed with their late game defense) and that really hurts when matching up against the best executing team in the league. Spurs are able to manafacture easy scores on a much more consistent basis than OKC, especially in the halfcourt.

Limit their easy points, limit our turnovers, and a steady diet of Tim and the high PnR.

Spurs in 6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I gave up alcohol a couple years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 2001 series against the Lakers ended just before halftime of game 1 against the Mavericks, folks.
    Agreed... losing Derek Anderson ed our whole rotation badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Funny stuff here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you even watch Spurs games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol now people bringing up rj

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though, I'd like to add that I think Kevin Durant is the one guy in the league who has the talent AND willingness to effectively take over a series by himself.

I think he's the best player in the league, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs in 6 and it will be a traditional "hold serve" series until Game 6 when the Spurs take it in Game 6 (ie W-W-L-L-W-W).

Diaw's finesse passing and ability to go out to the perimeter will eventually win over OKC post thuggery. Perkins blows a gasket easier than a Chevy Vega. Westbrook can be limited by more than a direct TP matchup. Let Durant get his like Amare does. Manu and Jax will be huge in this series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though, I'd like to add that I think Kevin Durant is the one guy in the league who has the talent AND willingness to effectively take over a series by himself.

I think he's the best player in the league, tbh.
    You are right, imo. Durant IS the best player in the league. But he is only one.

In Duncan we have a first round HOFer going against guys who are not.

In Parker we have a multiple-all star guard going against a multiple all-star guard.

In Ginobili, we have a former 6th man of the year going against the current 6th man of the year.

All in all, I think the match-ups are going to be hard for Parker and Ginobili and much less so for Duncan.

No one on their side can match Duncan. No one on our side can match Durant.

Which superstar is going to dominate? That is the question, to me.

Thread Information