Page 122 of 210 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 5245
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree that the 2015-2016 el nino peak skews the numbers, so that peak should be disregarded. i disagree that disregarding that peak means we suddenly lose the warming trend.
    Where the did I say that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where the did I say that?
    in my first post on this matter, i specifically agreed about the 2015-2016 el nino peak skewing the results, and noted that the trend is still there.

when you replied, i assumed you disagreed with that point. my bad. when i see the temperature charts that all conveniently start in 1998, i jump to conclusions

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in my first post on this matter, i specifically agreed about the 2015-2016 el nino peak skewing the results, and noted that the trend is still there.

when you replied, i assumed you disagreed with that point. my bad. when i see the temperature charts that all conveniently start in 1998, i jump to conclusions
    The position of "my side" is and has been since I've been posting on this forum is that these debates over temperature graphs, or if a specific weather event is due to global warming are stupid as .

I'm simple minded. That's what I've been told repeatedly by some posters. So with my simple mind I look at it like this...

Is CO2 a greenhouse gas?...answer YES
    Is atmospheric CO2 increasing?...answer YES
    Are we (mankind) causing it?...answer YES
    Are we (mankind) in immediate danger because of this?...answer NO
    So what is a realistic long term solution to the problem?...answer ????????? this is where it gets difficult

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The position of "my side" is and has been since I've been posting on this forum is that these debates over temperature graphs, or if a specific weather event is due to global warming are stupid as .

I'm simple minded. That's what I've been told repeatedly by some posters. So with my simple mind I look at it like this...

Is CO2 a greenhouse gas?...answer YES
    Is atmospheric CO2 increasing?...answer YES
    Are we (mankind) causing it?...answer YES
    Are we (mankind) in immediate danger because of this?...answer NO
    So what is a realistic long term solution to the problem?...answer ????????? this is where it gets difficult
    what qualifies as immediate danger, though? my dads in his 50's and he doesn't give any s about effects of climate change because by the time we have significant issues he'll probably be dead or too old to be effected. so his solution? it, drill.

it's like flossing. dentists tell you that if you dont floss, your teeth will get ed up. you dont floss for a few weeks. there aren't immediate effects. so does that mean you should tell the dentist to off and continue not to floss until you actually have the negative effect? by then it's too late. in the environmental issue, its the younger generations that will be stuck with the tooth decay because the older generation never felt the ramifications of not flossing

as for long term solutions... i think its fairly obvious that taking steps to reduce our impact on co2 levels should be a priority, and pointing a finger at china and saying "they're polluting a lot, so what difference does it make what we do" isn't solving anything either. but the free market isn't going to cut CO2 emissions... not by a longshot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal as winter descends

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7528b5f59521

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal as winter descends

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7528b5f59521
    I bet you've never stopped posting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet you've never stopped posting.
    You brain is dumber than a hockey puck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You brain is dumber than a hockey puck.
    Your mom has baboon vagina.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At a time when sea ice should be expanding, it’s actually shrinking

The Arctic is heading into the dead of winter, and across a vast swath of territory, the polar night has descended, with 24 hours of darkness each day.

This is when temperatures should be plunging, and sea ice should be expanding rapidly.

Instead, temperatures are soaring, and sea ice is actually shrinking.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/im...9#.WDJrMrIrKpo

The planet is ed and un able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your mom has baboon vagina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the greenland shelf has been losing something like 300 billion tons per year recently... this isn't particularly surprising

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First phase: denial
    Second phase: yes, but we have nothing to do with it
    Third phase: acceptance but we can't stop this change
    Fourth phase: beneficial side effects

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trump to scrap Nasa climate research in crackdown on ‘politicized science'

Bob Walker, a senior Trump campaign adviser, said there was no need for Nasa to do what he has previously described as “politically correct environmental monitoring”.

“We see Nasa in an exploration role, in deep space research,” Walker told the Guardian. “Earth-centric science is better placed at other agencies where it is their prime mission.

“My guess is that it would be difficult to stop all ongoing Nasa programs but future programs should definitely be placed with other agencies. I believe that climate research is necessary but it has been heavily politicized, which has undermined a lot of the work that researchers have been doing. Mr Trump’s decisions will be based upon solid science, not politicized science.”

Kevin Trenberth, senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, said as Nasa provides the scientific community with new instruments and techniques, the elimination of Earth sciences would be “a major setback if not devastating”. “It could put us back into the ‘dark ages’ of almost the pre-satellite era,” he said. “It would be extremely short sighted."

“We live on planet Earth and there is much to discover, and it is essential to track and monitor many things from space. Information on planet Earth and its atmosphere and oceans is essential for our way of life. Space research is a luxury, Earth observations are essential.”

Michael Mann, a climate scientist at Penn State University, said Nasa has a “critical and unique role” in observing Earth and climate change.

“Without the support of Nasa, not only the US but the entire world would be taking a hard hit when it comes to understanding the behavior of our climate and the threats posed by human-caused climate change,” he said.

“It would be a blatantly political move, and would indicate the president-elect’s willingness to pander to the very same lobbyists and corporate interest groups he derided throughout the campaign.”
    ... after YEARS of "we dont know enough about climate change" the decision is to stop learning more about it? ...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Trump to scrap Nasa climate research in crackdown on ‘politicized science'

... after YEARS of "we dont know enough about climate change" the decision is to stop learning more about it? ...
    NASA doesn't need to spend money doing what other agencies have money for. They need to focus on their primary mission.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NASA doesn't need to spend money doing what other agencies have money for. They need to focus on their primary mission.
    if anything we need more research on climate change to appease the "we dont have enough information" camp

and its not like cutting nasa's climate research funding is going to magically increase their funding in other areas anyway. if they're so serious about pushing space exploration, why not just increase nasa's funding? and dont tell me our inefficient government that spends way too much money cant muster up more for nasa if they really wanted to

its a joke of the policy that addresses climate change research like a child who covers his ears and says "LA LA LA i cant hear you LA LA LA"

and lmao at the executive branch arbitrarily (read: conveniently) determining what is "solid science" and what is "politicized science"

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The Guardian sure took a lot of liberty with that headline seeing as they don't have a single quote from Trump stating that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Guardian sure took a lot of liberty with that headline seeing as they don't have a single quote from Trump stating that.
    They quoted Bob walker, one of his advisors

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    They quoted Bob walker, one of his advisors
    That's my point. A campaign advisor saying that is not Trump saying that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's my point. A campaign advisor saying that is not Trump saying that.
    BigCarbon pays the Repugs to up govt.

Repugs will defund NASA, IRS, EPA, DoE, SEC, etc.

Repugs plan to up govt everywhere, everyway they can.

St Ronnie the diseased Useful Idiot announced the crystal clear VRWC ideology: "Government IS the problem"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BigCarbon pays the Repugs to up govt.

Repugs will defund NASA, IRS, EPA, DoE, SEC, etc.

Repugs plan to up govt everywhere, everyway they can.

St Ronnie the diseased Useful Idiot announced the crystal clear VRWC ideology: "Government IS the problem"
    Overgrown federal government IS the problem.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Overgrown federal government IS the problem.
    Yep.

It doesn't matter if it is tax and spend, or borrow and spend.

Both parties are destroying this nation.

Think about it people, they are buying your vote with everybody's money!

Everyone that worries about these same hot button issues election to election, and vote based on them... You are all at fault.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol deflecting from the issue of the science

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    lol deflecting from the issue of the science
    From Spurs Talk?

Science?

This group of racial and political pundits?

Are you joking?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio TX old white inherited wealth guy in charge of science

Turns out that Breitbart article the House Science Committee tweeted out is a con job

Texas Republican Lamar Smith is the oxymoronic Chairman of the House Science Committee. He spends a lot of energy trying to protect ExxonMobil. The other day his committee’s official government Twitter account tweeted out this.

Sci,Space,&Tech Cmte
    @HouseScience

.@BreitbartNews: Global Temperatures Plunge. Icy Silence from Climate Alarmists http://bit.ly/2gINZNf
    1:12 PM - 1 Dec 2016

Global Temperatures Plunge. Icy Silence from Climate Alarmists

Land temperatures have plummeted by 1 degree - the biggest and steepest fall on record. But the news has been greeted with an eerie silence.
    breitbart.com

The Breitbart piece was written by James Delingpole. Delingpole is the go-to Brit for climate denial writing at Breitbart, because he writes in a faux-British sarcastic and dry style—think of him as a dumb-man’s Nick Hornsby. The fake “wit” masks the fact that Delingpole is just a liar. The quote that Delingpole bases his attack on climate scientists is an article by David Rose at the Dailymail in England. Climate deniers have one argument that they conflate in varying degrees at any given time:

If the earth is getting “warmer” how come sometimes it still gets cold?

The Breitbart drivel above relies heavily on this story by David Rose. David Rose’s story doesn’t actually link to the “evidence” he pretends to give and that “evidence” isn’t real.

“They’re not serious articles,” said Adam Sobel, a Columbia University climate scientist. “They paint it as though it’s an argument between Breitbart and Buzzfeed when it’s an argument between a snarky Breitbart blogger and the entire world’s scientific community, and the overwhelming body of scientific evidence.”

Sobel said the articles “grossly misinterpret” a few accurate details, for instance that El Niño and La Niña systems play a large role in single-year fluctuations. “The temperature goes up for a couple of years and we have the largest year on record, then it goes down and it reaches a level that’s still well above 20th-century historical averages,” he said. “That in no way disproves anything about the causes of the long-term temperature trends.”

The House Science Committee is really taking a page from Donald Trump by using social media to propagate lies.

However, it isn’t a new thing they are doing. Republicans love to take over government departments in order to defund and abuse those posts until no one believes in those government jobs as having any civil worth.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016...t-is-a-con-job

Lamer Smith sending subpoenas to govt scientists who don't agree with BigOil's LIES.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...cientists.html

Thread Information