Page 61 of 210 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 5243
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, typical "religious" AGW denier, beliefs and blind political ideology trump facts.

messenger TP didn't do the studies, real scientists provided the message, as if such facts and such distinctions made any diff to you right-wing-bats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it comes to my arguments of technical matters, I am well above the average person.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accidentally called your number the other day. Good to know it still works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats what they said in Yellowstone 1988.
    Do you like your bread toasted?
    Man I remember that. It was ing crazy going outside at noon and seeing the red sun of sunset.

You could smell the pine trees burning in Laramie, that was fo sho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accidentally called your number the other day. Good to know it still works.
    Yeah, I was checking my messages ( y as usual) when I realized it. My first reaction was "Damn, must be some serious going on in the Poly Forum".....

I'm back in town btw, will call you to go grab some lunch or whatevs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alaska Fisheries In Midst Of An Economic Collapse.

And not one politician is talking about it. But fisherman are talking about it. The people in the villages are talking about it. People who rely on outfitting the boats, who repair boats; the fish buyers and brokers. The cannery workers(!), the roe packers, and all the ancillary businesses.

They're talking about it. And what they are talking about is ocean acidification.

My daughter is a customer service rep at a major company. She deals with customers from all over the state; from Barrow to Ketchikan to Nome to Valdez to Cantwell to Kodiak, Dutch Harbor and ALL the Interior. So she hears a LOT of 'local' news from people who chit-chat; who k'vetch about politics, the economy and Obama. But since the opening of the herring fishery and the salmon fisheries, it been about the failure of the runs. But as you see in the link, they aren't talking about why and what might be happening in the ocean while the fish are pelagic. One captain with whom my daughter spoke said it's the worst he's ever seen. He's hauled maybe 5 tons when he should have had 100-120 thousand pounds. Others (crew, hands, etc) talk about working two weeks and being basically in the hole. My daughter says that many, many of them talk about 'ocean acidification.' The salmon just aren't showing up, especially Reds and Kings. Many have lesions or worms and parasites.The crabs they are seeing are more easily damaged and there is a lot of 'dead catch'. She also says that many of the old-timers are talking about Fukushima too. She says these guys are convinced it has something to do with it. Other fisheries and species are also dropping off the cliff (herring, rock cod, ling cod, halibut, pollock) This is what is NOT being talked about in the so-called 'media' up here. Don't want the tourists to stay away.

Here's something else you won't see soon (at least until fall when the people start applying for food stamps en masse.)

The Interior villages are hurting.
    Especially the Elders who depend on the salmon as their traditional diet and to feed the sled dogs, if they have them. As you see here from January 2013, this has been happening for some time.

While this was reported, it doesn't make a blip of difference in "Seattle North" (Anchorage). Out of sight out of mind. Just like Native Americans in the lower 48.

But this little slice of the growing ecological disaster will snowball to an avalanche (get it, Alaskans?) and one of the pillars of the economy will collapse taking a LOT of capital with it. It will be interesting to watch who starts bailing first: The big corporate factory ships and Japanese investors or the fishermen themselves who can't make a go on 5 or 10% of what they need to make it profitable.

The Arctic is the laboratory for Climate Change. In the more than 34 years I've been here, I've watch most of the vegetation change. I've felt the differences in the winters and summers now and then. (This summer is warm and gorgeous, BTW) I've watched year to year as the animals change behaviors; invasive weeds; seen the bubbling methane in our lakes and ponds; and watched my favorite fishing places -where at times it was possible to catch a fish every cast!- now bereft of even sculpins.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...e?detail=email

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They always get things wrong.

Maybe they should start studying real science instead of political science.
    Because GOP politicians are more familiar with the intricacy of the climate, right? Right?

Cue the "I know more about this than people who dedicate their entire lives to studying it" rebuttal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And about a thousand leagues below the average meteorologist or climatologist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2/3rds of the way through the year and we're still very much on pace for 2014 to be the hottest year on record. Sea Surface temperatures have set new all time records over the past week. It does seem as though El Nino chances have come down for a strong or moderate event but recent warming in that area of the ocean make it quite likely we will still see an El Nino. That should warm the remaining four months higher than normal. The real effects of an El Nino would be felt next year so if 2014 does break the record (more likely than not at this point) then its still quite likely 2015 will then break the mark set by 2014 due to the full effects. A lot can happen in the remaining 4 1/2 months but I think its really likely we'll see 2014 as the warmest year on record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2/3rds of the way through the year and we're still very much on pace for 2014 to be the hottest year on record. Sea Surface temperatures have set new all time records over the past week. It does seem as though El Nino chances have come down for a strong or moderate event but recent warming in that area of the ocean make it quite likely we will still see an El Nino. That should warm the remaining four months higher than normal. The real effects of an El Nino would be felt next year so if 2014 does break the record (more likely than not at this point) then its still quite likely 2015 will then break the mark set by 2014 due to the full effects. A lot can happen in the remaining 4 1/2 months but I think its really likely we'll see 2014 as the warmest year on record.

So, what will have a stronger effect? El Nino? Or CO2?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    How many years does this "record" consist of?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Short term? ENSO. Long term? CO2. An analogy to use here is that ENSO is like a direct deposit on payday, while CO2 is like a raise to your annual salary. One the day you get paid the biggest effect is the amount placed into your bank account. However, the raise occurs as an overlying function on top of that and in the long run obviously has a larger effect than any one given event.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many years does this "record" consist of?
    The instrumental record goes back to the late 19th century.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Short term? ENSO. Long term? CO2. An analogy to use here is that ENSO is like a direct deposit on payday, while CO2 is like a raise to your annual salary. One the day you get paid the biggest effect is the amount placed into your bank account. However, the raise occurs as an overlying function on top of that and in the long run obviously has a larger effect than any one given event.
    Are you aware that the root studies defining CO2 sensitivity were done using temperature data during the period of solar increases and the solar effect was unknow?

Trace the CO2 sensitivity studies sometime. They reference past studies, that reference other past ones yet, never recalculating the base for sensitivity.

They didn't remove, what at the time, the solar variability. The root study is in the 70's.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NASA Scientist Warns of Three to Four-Meter Sea Level Rise by 2200

a world-renowned scientist to warn that there could be a greater rise than that before 2100 - in addition to a catastrophic two to three-meter rise by 2200, and worsening increases thereafter.

NASA emeritus scientist Robert Bindschadler, who worked for 35 years as a glaciologist at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, is sounding these warnings.

He led 18 field expeditions to Antarctica, and has participated in many other expeditions to glaciers and ice caps around the world. Although he recently retired, he maintains an active interest in the dynamics of glaciers and ice sheets, investigating how remote sensing can be used to improve our understanding of the role of ice in the earth's climate.

He actively developed applications that measure ice velocity and elevation using both visible and radar imagery, monitor melt of and snowfall on ice sheets by microwave emissions, and detect changes in ice sheet volume by repeat space-borne radar altimetry (using satellites to measure ice sheet thickness).

Bindschadler, who has published over 130 scientific papers, has advised the US Congress and the vice president on the stability of ice sheets and ice shelves and served on many scientific commissions and study groups as an expert in glaciology and remote sensing of ice. He also has degrees in astronomy and physics.

A fellow of the American Geophysical Union (2001), Goddard Senior Fellow (2000), and recipient of the Excellence in Federal Career (1989) award, the Antarctic Service Medal (1984) and the NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1994), Bindschadler continues to be a leader in the public conversation around the climate's impact on the world's ice sheets and glaciers.

Truthout recently sat down with Bindschadler for an interview about his concerns about Antarctic glaciers, why scientists are often loath to enter into the debate over anthropogenic climate disruption (ACD), massive sea level rise in the future, and what he thinks can be done.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/2...l-rise-by-2200

but WC will destroy him.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    yawn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To further illustrate this, there is this graphic from above:

By far almost all record years are El Nino. However, La Nina years are now just as warm and warmer as prior El Nino years. But All things being equal El Nino years will be warmer. That is why climatalogical short periods of time (ie 15 years) will have slower warming when there are disproportionate number of La Nina years. But If you get the opposite, you will see a short term bump in temperature. As our prediction of ENSO is fairly poor, we can't predict this on short term time scales. However, ENSO evens out over the long run so it doesn't matter on long time frames.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems odd that we're having this record-breaking year when the US has had a colder than usual year (so far).

And I do realize that the US is not the entire Earth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not all of the US is all that cold. July was pretty unseasonable for the Midwest and here in Texas but outside of that the country is warm.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Seems odd that we're having this record-breaking year when the US has had a colder than usual year (so far).

And I do realize that the US is not the entire Earth.
    Yep.

Past years, we were having long hot and dry periods. That heat we had a few days ago was short lived. It maxed out at 75 today. Most of this summer has been cooler than normal. We should be having 80's and 90's for highs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not all of the US is all that cold. July was pretty unseasonable for the Midwest and here in Texas but outside of that the country is warm.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2014/7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you aware that the root studies defining CO2 sensitivity were done using temperature data during the period of solar increases and the solar effect was unknow?

Trace the CO2 sensitivity studies sometime. They reference past studies, that reference other past ones yet, never recalculating the base for sensitivity.

They didn't remove, what at the time, the solar variability. The root study is in the 70's.
    2005 called and wants its arguments back.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Ron Silver is speaking to you from the grave:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2005 called and wants its arguments back.
    I just want to point out that WC made that same argument about a year or so ago. He was shown the studies that take into account the information regarding solar output from 2003-4 then. He left and called me a bully. His typical bull .

So is he stupid or is he intentionally trying to mislead people do you think?

Thread Information