San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Global warming likely to cause colder and snowier winters, scientists say
    http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/1...share_facebook

Thanks Global Warming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "But many governments are demanding a clearer explanation of the slowdown in temperature increases since 1998."

So it's still getting hotter, just not as fast.

Pause

"we're cooling down!"

"In its last report in 2007, the IPCC stated that "warming of the climate system is unequivocal" and that "most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th Century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations" - in other words, humans burning fossil fuels"

"The final paper shows that the recent pause in global surface temperature rise does not materially alter the risks of substantial warming of the Earth by the end of this century. Nor does it invalidate the fundamental physics of global warming, the scientific basis of climate models and their estimates of climate sensitivity."

From the very source you're using to "prove" your point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you concede that there has been a pause, or hiatus, in warming over the past 15 or so years? Good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you concede that there has been a pause, or hiatus, in warming over the past 15 or so years? Good.
    The warming hasn't paused. It's just that the oceans have absorbed the heat. Not on the surface but thousands of feet deep where no one was watching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ this guy's Al Gore impression

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch Obama’s Top Science Advisor Repeatedly Shut Down Climate Deniers At House Climate Hearing

Holdren, a lauded theoretical physicist, appeared before the Republican-led House Committee on Science, Space and Technology on Wednesday to testify about the Obama administration’s plan to fight climate change. But, as is true for all House Science committee hearings on climate change, much of the questioning focused not the content of the plan itself, but whether global warming is even real.

Additional lines of questioning included whether carbon dioxide actually harms human health, and whether the climate plan would lower global temperatures on its own — two questions with complicated answers that have been very thoroughly explained since the plan was introduced. One Congressmen accused Holdren of breaking the law by sending work e-mails from his personal account in 2013, while another said climate scientistsshouldn’t be trusted because of their dependence on the existence of climate change to make a living.

Fortunately, Holdren is a confident speaker who was able to succinctly explain the science to his climate denying questioners despite constant interruption. Here are a few of the best times he did just that.

Rep. Stockman’s Questions On “Global Wobbling”

After expressing his distaste for Obama’s Climate Action Plan, Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) spoke about a recent trip to Maryland, where he apparently asked a NASA scientist what ended the last Ice Age. The scientist, Stockman said, credited “global wobbling,” or slight changes in the earth’s tilt and orbit that happen over tens of thousands of years.

What Stockman then wanted to know is, why isn’t “global wobbling” included in climate modelings?

“How can you take an element which you give to the credit for the collapse of global freezing and into global warming but leave it out of your models?” Stockman asked. “I’m a little puzzled because we still don’t have metrics of how to determine global wobbling.”

In the video, Holdren explains that global wobbling happens so slowly — on timescales of 22,000 years, 44,000 years, and 100,000 years — that it doesn’t impact the comparatively fast impacts of climate change. In fact, Holdren says because of previous wobbling, we should be in a cooling period as we speak. “But the warming inflicted by human activities has overwhelmed the effect of global wobbling,” he said.

Stockman also said he “can’t get answers” to how long it would take for the sea level to rise two feet. “Think about it, if your ice cube melts in your glass, it doesn’t overflow. It’s displacement. Holy ! This is some of the things that they’re talking about that mathematically and scientifically don’t make sense.”
    Go Texas!

Still, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher — not shy at all about his climate denial — tried very hard on Wednesday to back both Holdren and EPA Office of Air and Radiation Assistant Administrator Janet McCabe into a corner by asking repeatedly about the direct health impacts of carbon dioxide. “At what level does carbon dioxide concentration become harmful to human health?”

Holdren answered in the way we could only hope one would: “Vice Chairman Rorhabacher, I always enjoy my interactions with you. I have to say, with respect, that’s a red herring. We are not interested in carbon dioxide concentrations because of their direct effect on human health, we are interested in them because of their effect on the world’s climate, and climate change has effects on human health.”

Rep. Bucshon’s Questions On How Climate Policy Works

Rep. Larry Bucshon (R-IN) easily had the climate denial comment of the day when he said he “won’t believe” scientific literature on climate change because the scientists who write it need global warming to exist in order to get paid.

That comment is in the video below, but so is Bucshon’s other attempt to derail the conversation on climate policy by asking: “Is it true that this rule will have no affect on global temperature change?”

Holdren explains as much. “The limitation of carbon emissions in the United states is a very important first step for us to take on a longer trajectory to meet the President’s goals of a 17 percent reduction from 2005 by 2020, and ultimately an 80 percent reduction by 2050,” he said. “If the United States does not take that sort of action, it is unlikely that other major emitters in the world — China, India, Russia, Europe, Japan — will do so either. And the fact is, all of us need to reduce our carbon emissions if we are to avoid unmanageable degrees of climate change.”

Bucshon’s response: “Okay, fair enough.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...imate-hearing/

17 Repugs on the House "Science" Committee are AGW deniers.

All y'all dumb Repug right-wingers sure do elect a bunch of dumb s!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thinkprogress

boots needs tp for his bunghole

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was in a Politics class in my university, where the professor was giving a lecture. He said:

"You don't have to worry about people who say there's no such thing as climate change because there are also people who say the earth is flat."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seattle and Portland as late-21st-century Miamis.

Portland Will Still Be Cool, but Anchorage May Be the Place to Be

Scientists trying to predict the consequences of climate change say that they see few safe havens from the storms, floods and droughts that are sure to intensify over the coming decades. But some regions, they add, will fare much better than others.

Forget most of California and the Southwest (drought, wildfires). Ditto for much of the East Coast and Southeast (heat waves, hurricanes, rising sea levels). Washington, D.C., for example, may well be a flood zone by 2100, according to anestimate released last week.

Instead, consider Anchorage. Or even, perhaps, Detroit.

“The best place really is Alaska,” he added. “Alaska is going to be the next Florida by the end of the century.”

“The answer is the Pacific Northwest, and probably especially west of the Cascades,”

Washington State is gearing up to become the next Napa Valley as California’s wine country heats up and dries out.
    “People are going crazy putting in vineyards in eastern Washington right now,” he said.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/23...fest.html?_r=0

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jon Stewart: Talking to GOP about climate change is like ‘pushing a million pounds of idiot up a mountain’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/j...up-a-mountain/

"climate change" is a euphemism, euphemisms are LIEs.

Anthropogenic GLOBAL WARMING is The Truth.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox News host: We shouldn’t do anything about climate change because ISIS is “chopping off people’s heads”

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/23/watc...e_on_fox_news/

As always, Fox's LIES always have impeccable logic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, Jon Stewart TRASHES you AGW-deniers and the Kock-sucking assholes all y'all elect

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...w-Burn-Noticed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a slowing in warming is not necessarily a pause or hiatus in warming. just a change of rate. this graph is obviously not meant to be taken as stats on temperature, but just to illustrate the point. there is still an increase, just a slower increase

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox News host: We shouldn’t do anything about climate change because ISIS is “chopping off people’s heads”

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/23/watc...e_on_fox_news/

As always, Fox's LIES always have impeccable logic

where was the lie in that statement? is ISIS not chopping off people's heads? heck they even concede climate change

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where was the lie in that statement? is ISIS not chopping off people's heads? heck they even concede climate change
    "we shouldn't do anything about GLOBAL WARMING" is a lie, and Fox knows it.

saying a couple people getting their heads chopped off is more important, more urgent than global warming IS A LIE, and Fox knows it.

It's you head bubbas and rednecks fall for the lies the Fox dictates to you non-stop, and you defend Fox's LIES.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "we shouldn't do anything about GLOBAL WARMING" is a lie, and Fox knows it.
    that's not a lie. it's a suggested course of action. you could certainly argue its a poor choice, but it's not a lie

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not a lie. it's a suggested course of action. you could certainly argue its a poor choice, but it's not a lie
    Fox KNOWS they are lying because BigCarbon/UCoC/ALEC/etc owns, pays Fox and Repug politicians so they deny science and agitate, propagandize to block ALL anti-warming policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox KNOWS they are lying because BigCarbon/UCoC/ALEC/etc owns, pays Fox and Repug politicians so they deny science and agitate, propagandize to block ALL anti-warming policies.
    you are just rambling. doesn't change the fact that the line you quoted wasn't a lie

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami Finds Itself Ankle-Deep in Climate Change Debate

The sunny-day flooding was happening again. During high tide one recent afternoon, Eliseo Toussaint looked out the window of his Alton Road laundromat and watched bottle-green sal er seep from the gutters, fill the street and block the entrance to his front door.

“This never used to happen,” Mr. Toussaint said. “I’ve owned this place eight years, and now it’s all the time.”

Down the block at an electronics store it is even worse. Jankel Aleman, a salesman, keeps plastic bags and rubber bands handy to wrap around his feet when he trudges from his car to the store through ever-rising waters.

A new scientific report on global warming released this week, the National Climate Assessment, named Miami as one of the cities most vulnerable to severe damage as a result of rising sea levels.

Alton Road, a commercial thoroughfare in the heart of stylish South Beach, is getting early ripples of sea level rise caused by global warming — even as Florida’s politicians, including two possible contenders for the presidency in 2016, are starkly at odds over what to do about it and whether the problem is even real.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/08..._r=0&referrer=

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Miami Finds Itself Ankle-Deep in Climate Change Debate

The sunny-day flooding was happening again. During high tide one recent afternoon, Eliseo Toussaint looked out the window of his Alton Road laundromat and watched bottle-green sal er seep from the gutters, fill the street and block the entrance to his front door.

“This never used to happen,” Mr. Toussaint said. “I’ve owned this place eight years, and now it’s all the time.”

Down the block at an electronics store it is even worse. Jankel Aleman, a salesman, keeps plastic bags and rubber bands handy to wrap around his feet when he trudges from his car to the store through ever-rising waters.

A new scientific report on global warming released this week, the National Climate Assessment, named Miami as one of the cities most vulnerable to severe damage as a result of rising sea levels.

Alton Road, a commercial thoroughfare in the heart of stylish South Beach, is getting early ripples of sea level rise caused by global warming — even as Florida’s politicians, including two possible contenders for the presidency in 2016, are starkly at odds over what to do about it and whether the problem is even real.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/08..._r=0&referrer=

Damn storm sewers bust be blocked again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn storm sewers bust be blocked again.
    yep, full of seawater

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    yep, full of seawater
    Seeping from his gutters?

What's wrong with this picture?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch Obama’s Top Science Advisor Repeatedly Shut Down Climate Deniers At House Climate Hearing

Holdren, a lauded theoretical physicist, appeared before the Republican-led House Committee on Science, Space and Technology on Wednesday to testify about the Obama administration’s plan to fight climate change. But, as is true for all House Science committee hearings on climate change, much of the questioning focused not the content of the plan itself, but whether global warming is even real.

Additional lines of questioning included whether carbon dioxide actually harms human health, and whether the climate plan would lower global temperatures on its own — two questions with complicated answers that have been very thoroughly explained since the plan was introduced. One Congressmen accused Holdren of breaking the law by sending work e-mails from his personal account in 2013, while another said climate scientistsshouldn’t be trusted because of their dependence on the existence of climate change to make a living.

Fortunately, Holdren is a confident speaker who was able to succinctly explain the science to his climate denying questioners despite constant interruption. Here are a few of the best times he did just that.

Rep. Stockman’s Questions On “Global Wobbling”

After expressing his distaste for Obama’s Climate Action Plan, Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) spoke about a recent trip to Maryland, where he apparently asked a NASA scientist what ended the last Ice Age. The scientist, Stockman said, credited “global wobbling,” or slight changes in the earth’s tilt and orbit that happen over tens of thousands of years.

What Stockman then wanted to know is, why isn’t “global wobbling” included in climate modelings?

“How can you take an element which you give to the credit for the collapse of global freezing and into global warming but leave it out of your models?” Stockman asked. “I’m a little puzzled because we still don’t have metrics of how to determine global wobbling.”

In the video, Holdren explains that global wobbling happens so slowly — on timescales of 22,000 years, 44,000 years, and 100,000 years — that it doesn’t impact the comparatively fast impacts of climate change. In fact, Holdren says because of previous wobbling, we should be in a cooling period as we speak. “But the warming inflicted by human activities has overwhelmed the effect of global wobbling,” he said.

Stockman also said he “can’t get answers” to how long it would take for the sea level to rise two feet. “Think about it, if your ice cube melts in your glass, it doesn’t overflow. It’s displacement. Holy ! This is some of the things that they’re talking about that mathematically and scientifically don’t make sense.”
    Go Texas!

Still, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher — not shy at all about his climate denial — tried very hard on Wednesday to back both Holdren and EPA Office of Air and Radiation Assistant Administrator Janet McCabe into a corner by asking repeatedly about the direct health impacts of carbon dioxide. “At what level does carbon dioxide concentration become harmful to human health?”

Holdren answered in the way we could only hope one would: “Vice Chairman Rorhabacher, I always enjoy my interactions with you. I have to say, with respect, that’s a red herring. We are not interested in carbon dioxide concentrations because of their direct effect on human health, we are interested in them because of their effect on the world’s climate, and climate change has effects on human health.”

Rep. Bucshon’s Questions On How Climate Policy Works

Rep. Larry Bucshon (R-IN) easily had the climate denial comment of the day when he said he “won’t believe” scientific literature on climate change because the scientists who write it need global warming to exist in order to get paid.

That comment is in the video below, but so is Bucshon’s other attempt to derail the conversation on climate policy by asking: “Is it true that this rule will have no affect on global temperature change?”

Holdren explains as much. “The limitation of carbon emissions in the United states is a very important first step for us to take on a longer trajectory to meet the President’s goals of a 17 percent reduction from 2005 by 2020, and ultimately an 80 percent reduction by 2050,” he said. “If the United States does not take that sort of action, it is unlikely that other major emitters in the world — China, India, Russia, Europe, Japan — will do so either. And the fact is, all of us need to reduce our carbon emissions if we are to avoid unmanageable degrees of climate change.”

Bucshon’s response: “Okay, fair enough.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...imate-hearing/

17 Repugs on the House "Science" Committee are AGW deniers.

All y'all dumb Repug right-wingers sure do elect a bunch of dumb s!

Bucshon's 3 largest contributors are.... wait for it.... energy companies.

Thread Information