Page 66 of 210 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 5245
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bucshon's 3 largest contributors are.... wait for it.... energy companies.
    yeah, but that's nothing compared to the 97% of the world's climate people who get paid to lie that AGW is real.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, but that's nothing compared to the 97% of the world's climate people who get paid to lie that AGW is real.
    Man, it's a good thing Climate Change came along, or they wouldn't have work at all!

Wait... you mean they had jobs before? Wtf? HOW IS DIS POSSIBRU

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they wouldn't have work at all!
    You Lie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context, sir. I didn't think it needed the blue font.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick question. When will insurance adjusters stop starving?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bucshon's 3 largest contributors are.... wait for it.... energy companies.
    Yeah, the bit about displacement pretty much got that jackass a rather nasty bit of satire from Jon Stewart.

The bits that I saw pretty much show the results of what I call the Republican war on science.

That will, rightly, cost them a lot of the sensible center, until they decide to pull their collective head out of their asses. These congressional idiots on a house panel on science were downright embarrassing. The GOP rank and file should be ashamed of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick question. When will insurance adjusters stop starving?
    Depends on which company you work for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on which company you work for.
    being facetious. P&C companies are doing well from the lack of natural disasters. Not to say those disasters aren't around the corner, but I'd like to know when so I'll get my adjusters license

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    being facetious. P&C companies are doing well from the lack of natural disasters. Not to say those disasters aren't around the corner, but I'd like to know when so I'll get my adjusters license
    Well, from what I see, we are on track to have a below normal amount of Atlantic hurricanes for the year. Best to move to Cali, and deal with fire claims.

Not sure about the licensing process there, but you can probably find the info fairly easy at the CDOI website.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Context, sir. I didn't think it needed the blue font.
    He can't turn it off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well they don't offer flood insurance so they miss the biggest source of damage. there are also many more claims than those of natural disaster. A storm doesn't need to be a tropical storm to do damage.

The actuaries have been crying about P&C claims increasing for over a decade to this point. Unless you are inside the insurance industry, we are not privy to the national claims totals with any degree of accuracy. Some states do report it and some of those that do like Florida are freaking out particularly along the coast.

More and more people are being deemed uninsurable and migrations are being forced. Premuims are going up. Claims are more aggressive and judgmental.

But yeah since the actuaries know how to manage even higher risk and make money at it, we should just disregard the whole thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How's that famous pause in AGW workin out fer ya?

Major U.S. Cities Will See 10 Times More Coastal Flooding By 2045

Flooding during high tide could occur so frequently in some U.S. cities in the future that parts could become “unusable,” according to a new report.

The report, published by the Union for Concerned Scientists, looked at 52 National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration tide gauges in coastal cities in Florida, Maryland, Georgia, Virginia and other states. UCS analyzed the states’ flooding risk under mid-range sea level rise predictions taken from the White House’s National Climate Assessment — an estimate of 5 inches of sea level rise by 2030, and 11 inches by 2045. It found that tidal flooding could triple in some cities in 15 years and occur 10 times as often in most cities in the next 30 years.

The Mid-Atlantic states are particularly vulnerable, the report found. A tripling of tidal flooding events in these states would mean that, in some cities, flooding could occur multiple times per week. The report also found that by 2045, one-third of the cities and towns looked at could start experiencing tidal flooding more than 180 days each year, and nine cities would see flooding 240 times each year.

These floods aren’t the type that cause death or major destruction, the authors of the report noted on a press conference Wednesday. They’re “nusiance” floods, the kind that force residents to wade through water on their way to work and move their cars before the tide comes to avoid sal er damage. But as sea levels rise, there’s likely only so much of this flooding that communities will be willing to take, report co-author Erika Spanger-Siegfried said. If the flooding becomes chronic, some areas may be forced to decide whether to relocate businesses and homes.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...ooding-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Major U.S. Cities Will See 10 Times More Coastal Flooding By 2045

Flooding during high tide could occur so frequently in some U.S. cities in the future that parts could become “unusable,” according to a new report.

The report, published by the Union for Concerned Scientists, looked at 52 National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration tide gauges in coastal cities in Florida, Maryland, Georgia, Virginia and other states. UCS analyzed the states’ flooding risk under mid-range sea level rise predictions taken from the White House’s National Climate Assessment — an estimate of 5 inches of sea level rise by 2030, and 11 inches by 2045. It found that tidal flooding could triple in some cities in 15 years and occur 10 times as often in most cities in the next 30 years.

The Mid-Atlantic states are particularly vulnerable, the report found. A tripling of tidal flooding events in these states would mean that, in some cities, flooding could occur multiple times per week. The report also found that by 2045, one-third of the cities and towns looked at could start experiencing tidal flooding more than 180 days each year, and nine cities would see flooding 240 times each year.

These floods aren’t the type that cause death or major destruction, the authors of the report noted on a press conference Wednesday. They’re “nusiance” floods, the kind that force residents to wade through water on their way to work and move their cars before the tide comes to avoid sal er damage. But as sea levels rise, there’s likely only so much of this flooding that communities will be willing to take, report co-author Erika Spanger-Siegfried said. If the flooding becomes chronic, some areas may be forced to decide whether to relocate businesses and homes.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...ooding-report/

Who cares?

It's a risk you take for buying so close to the ocean. Why are you standing up for the rich who own oceanfront property?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good start but, there's also the misrepresentation of the consensus, lying about the the polar ice caps melting, continuing the ruse that the Earth was warming after it was known it stopped in the last century, falsely connecting the frequency and severity of weather with the AGCC agenda, falsely linking AGCC to an increased incidence of asthma, the "Hockey Stick" graph (on which much of the current hysteria was based), and the persistent ruse that CO2 (a chemical necessary for life) is somehow ing up the planet.

Actually, I don't look at the associations as much as the claims they make. You, on the other hand, discount information based simply on your prejudices against the messengers. You act as though the Consensus has no financial interest in continuing the ruse.

And, you can add Climate Alarmists to your list. They continue to conflate the effects of pollution with their Global Climate Change message - latest example:

Optimism Faces Grave Realities at Climate Talks

And, yet, the alarmist crowd continues to become more strident in their warnings of Armageddon. Just read the article.

I'm glad the destruction of our economy over something that's, at best an exaggeration, and at worst, a blatant attempt to force the redistribution of wealth, is fun for you.
    This belongs here as you are literally just rehashing crap that has been refuted in this thread dozens of time.

Concensus - you showing 25 climate scientists and 50 other scientists who are skeptics does not detract from the denominator and the opposition who of an order 4 or 5 times as high. that is thousands to tens of thousands.

Hiatus - again read the BEST and NAS papers they do a much better job of describing the current state of science than I can.

more handwaving at something that was disproven is still guilt by association.

your armageddon rhetoric is great for the christians it riles them up. I still think it is gratuitous nonsense. the article describes

But while scientists and climate-policy experts welcome the new momentum ahead of the Lima talks, they warn that it now may be impossible to prevent the temperature of the planet’s atmosphere from rising by 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit. According to a large body of scientific research, that is the tipping point at which the world will be locked into a near-term future of drought, food and water shortages, melting ice sheets, shrinking glaciers, rising sea levels and widespread flooding — events that could harm the world’s population and economy.
    not the rapture

You should look at your last quote in this thread. You go from the wealthy to redistributing wealth is bad. Nice sophistry.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

If the sea level is rising so much, why does this happen:

You know, water volume and temperature are not the only effects to sea level changes. The friction of the wind speed and direction against the ocean makes a tide higher or lower. So does the speed and direction of the ocean flow itself. And the moon isn't the only celestial body that moves the tides. The whole angular alignments between the earth, sun, and moon all play a roll.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You know, water volume and temperature are not the only effects to sea level changes. The friction of the wind speed and direction against the ocean makes a tide higher or lower. So does the speed and direction of the ocean flow itself. And the moon isn't the only celestial body that moves the tides. The whole angular alignments between the earth, sun, and moon all play a roll.
    HIGH tide is the problem, not low tide

land ice is melting, ocean levels are rising

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats like saying "if its getting hot, why is there still winter"

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No, its saying that climate happens anyway.

You can assume all you want that extra glacier melt is due to CO2. That doesn't make it so. We still don't understand the full effects of dozens of other factors, and CO2 might not make a difference in the scheme of things.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This belongs here as you are literally just rehashing crap that has been refuted in this thread dozens of time.
    Sure, I'll carry on in this thread -- thanks.

Concensus - you showing 25 climate scientists and 50 other scientists who are skeptics does not detract from the denominator and the opposition who of an order 4 or 5 times as high. that is thousands to tens of thousands.
    The whole consensus nonsense owes its genesis to a paper whose principle author is one John Cook:

Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature

Unfortunately for Mr. Cook, people read.

Hiatus - again read the BEST and NAS papers they do a much better job of describing the current state of science than I can.
    One simple question. When do the models say the warming will resume?

more handwaving at something that was disproven is still guilt by association.

your armageddon rhetoric is great for the christians it riles them up. I still think it is gratuitous nonsense.
    But while scientists and climate-policy experts welcome the new momentum ahead of the Lima talks, they warn that it now may be impossible to prevent the temperature of the planet’s atmosphere from rising by 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit. According to a large body of scientific research, that is the tipping point at which the world will be locked into a near-term future of drought, food and water shortages, melting ice sheets, shrinking glaciers, rising sea levels and widespread flooding — events that could harm the world’s population and economy.
    not the rapture.
    Maybe not but, did you overlook this excerpt?

While a breach of the 3.6 degree threshold appears inevitable, scientists say that United Nations negotiators should not give up on their efforts to cut emissions. At stake now, they say, is the difference between a newly unpleasant world and an uninhabitable one.
    OMG!

You should look at your last quote in this thread. You go from the wealthy to redistributing wealth is bad. Nice sophistry.
    Nicely taken out of context. I stand by the statement that we shouldn't pay anyone -- including the wealthy -- for taking a known risk and building on property that is almost surely going to result in a claim.
    Last edited by Yonivore; 12-03-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: I fucked up html codes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The whole consensus nonsense owes its genesis to a paper whose principle author is one John Cook:

Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature

OMG!

Nicely taken out of context. I stand by the statement that we shouldn't pay anyone -- including the wealthy -- for taking a known risk and building on property that is almost surely going to result in a claim.

Now you are linking pop tart. Him accusing others of falsely categorizing scientists is the most hilarious I've seen all day. I'm done contending with google sophistry.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    a slowing in warming is not necessarily a pause or hiatus in warming. just a change of rate. this graph is obviously not meant to be taken as stats on temperature, but just to illustrate the point. there is still an increase, just a slower increase

Yes, and solar warming of the oceans works the same way.

Consider this:

The red line has no units as for simplicity, it is set to attempt to equalize to the TSI.

Any questions as to how I plotted this? Notice that any time the red line is above the TSI, it decreases, and increases any time it is below it.

Notice that even though the TSI peaked in 1948, the heat content still increased for several more cycles.

The graph is plotted from the official SORCE satellite data, and reconstructs of the past on their site.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now you are linking pop tart. Him accusing others of falsely categorizing scientists is the most hilarious I've seen all day. I'm done contending with google sophistry.
    So, you didn't read the actual quotes from the scientists, in the article, who disagreed with Cook categorizing their papers as being in agreement with him?

Yeah, you are through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats like saying "if its getting hot, why is there still winter"
    Pretty much about the level of mentality of many of the pseudoscientists driving the denier movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

OMG!

Wow, you are putting up a link to PopTech.

Dude posted here for a while, until I caught him in a lie, then he left in fairly short order.

PopTech's MO is one of shameless cherry-picking, both of quotes and research papers.

Having dealt with the guy first hand long enough to know that he is as actively intellectually dishonest as you are, I will simply dismiss the ultimate conclusion.

I have little doubt that were I to waste time chasing this rabbit down the hole, I would find the author of that website did the same thing that I caught him in here and in his other links.

Shameless cherry picking to the point of blatant intellectual dishonesty.

Thread Information