Page 9 of 210 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you should be around any 7th graders. And don't make me report you.
    Report me. Nice. Is that how you think of it in your mind? I ratted him out?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I am trying to explain it like I would to my 7th graders.

In terms of a function what is the domain?
    I fail to see how that applies here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fail to see how that applies here.
    That's the point. I am trying to explain it to you so you can understand. This is just step 1. Now do you know what the domain of a function is?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That's the point. I am trying to explain it to you so you can understand. This is just step 1. Now do you know what the domain of a function is?
    How does that relate to showing different scales on a graph, or posing the question of why absolute zero isn't used to show actual relativity?

I know what a domain is in mathematics. What's next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does that relate to showing different scales on a graph, or posing the question of why absolute zero isn't used to show actual relativity?

I know what a domain is in mathematics. What's next.
    Its not a matter of scale. The domains are simply shifted. Celsius has an endpoint of -273 whereas Kelvin has an endpoint of zero. AFAIK the positive end is openended. -273 C = 0 K and as they increase they increase at exactly the same scale ie -272 C = 1 K.

The kelvin is simply a domain shifted function of C ie F(C) = C + 273.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin I posted it here and sent out like 9 emails. Characterizing it as an op-ed in the NYT or public rally speech is fun by I targeted specific individuals and had no desire to broadcast it to the world for a reason.

Sending it anonymously also has a purpose. None of those guys can publish that and it have any sort of credibility. I just wanted them to know and more importantly have PopTart know that they know.

Why do you think he edited all his posts from his admission to having an autism spectrum disorder to claims of me being a psychotic drug addict? You think it's cause he wanted more web hits?

Consider that maybe just maybe he does have a personality disorder as he did claim to have. Think about it.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Ok, then, how much of the available evidence do you think it represents?

Rough guess, mas o menos 10%

Would you say that all the papers on your lisssst represent evidence that strongly supports your preferred "no harm" thesis?
    This has not been determined and is irrelevant to the fact that the amount of papers that explicitly mention "anthropogenic global warming" is small.

The list does not represent a "no harm" thesis as it is only a resource. Papers supporting such a thesis can be found on the list.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Intelligent design is not a scientific theory.

You brought up the issue of credibility with your list of credentials.

Again, as a general question:

If a scientist expresses a belief in Intelligent Design does that indicate one should assign more or less credibility to that scientist overall?
    You brought up intelligent design due to your religious bigotry.

A scientist's religious beliefs have no bearing on their scientific credibility regarding climate change.

Guilt by Association (Patrick J. Michaels, NRO, May 9, 2012)
    My friends on the left make much of the apparent correlation between creationism and skepticism about assured climate disaster. It is the “some–all fallacy” writ large. “Some” climate scientists who happen to believe in intelligent design, a variant of creationism, also question the high-sensitivity climate model. Therefore “all” who hypothesize that warming has been overblown must also question evolution; i.e., they are ignorant dolts. [...]

The “some” of the fallacy is the University of Alabama’s Roy Spencer, a climate physicist who argues (as do I) that the “sensitivity” of climate to dreaded carbon dioxide has been overestimated in computer models. Spencer also believes in intelligent design.

Spencer’s chosen form of belief to explain the mystery of the first life on Earth is hardly germane to a rational discussion of his interpretation of climate findings. There are plenty of productive and successful scientists who go to church — most of which preach that God created man. And there are plenty of good scientists who don’t.

So far as I can tell, the percentage of climate skeptics who are also religious is about the same as among the entire population of climate scientists in general. Some apocalyptic warmists believe in God, too, you know. At the University of Virginia, where I spent 30 years in the Department of Environmental Sciences, most of my colleagues didn’t attend church, but some did. There was little correlation between their religious beliefs and their scientific success. While the atmospheric scientists in that department were known for their skepticism about the upcoming climate disaster, none were churchgoers. [...]

Let’s stop conflating the creationist hoi polloi with skeptical climate scientists. The mystery about how life arose on earth is simply unrelated to global-warming science, no matter what those scientists might believe.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    I guess. I sent it to everyone on his truth series as well to NASA-GISS, BEST, IPCC, and NOAA.

I really think its only fair since he misrepresents their works, groups all us AGW alarmist as drug crazed psychotic liars.
    I have not misrepresented anything. Only drug addicts like yourself are psychotic liars.

Yeah this wasn't textbook narcissistic rage...
    The emphasis was on laughter not rage.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    http://www.populartechnology.net/201...p-climate.html

Thats a picture of a guy and his home up on his site where he is trying to promote for his political gain.
    Those pictures were all freely available online.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A scientist's religious beliefs have no bearing on their scientific credibility regarding climate change.

Guilt by Association (Patrick J. Michaels, NRO, May 9, 2012)
    I can see it now.

DUN DUN DUN! (open to theme song)

PopTech, esq.
    Starring "Poptech, avenging liberatarian superstar"

"Your honor, I have brought forward an expert scientist, here are all of his credentials. Please ignore his other statements equating non-scientific theories with valid scientific ones, and focus only on what I want you to, because the people bringing that up are bigots with a firm bias against bull ".

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    What I have here is a letter from a poster on the SpursTalk political forum.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Last edited by Poptech; 05-25-2012 at 06:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a scientist expresses a belief in Intelligent Design does that indicate one should assign more or less credibility to that scientist overall?

He wasn't stating a relgious belief, sporto.

He was assigning validity to a non-scientific theory, and equating that to a valid scientific theory.

That pretty much meets any reasonable definition of pseudo-science.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    You think it's cause he wanted more web hits?
    Oh I do want more web hits. I had no idea you would be this helpful.

This is why the list and truth articles are such a problem for alarmists because in order for you to criticize them, you have to discuss them, which leads people to actually read them. As anyone rational can read the source material themselves and make up their own minds. This generates an actual positive feedback loop as the truth spreads.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    He wasn't stating a relgious belief, sporto.

He was assigning validity to a non-scientific theory, and equating that to a valid scientific theory.

That pretty much meets any reasonable definition of pseudo-science.
    Why are you a religious bigot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twenty years ago, as a PhD scientist, I intensely studied the evolution versus intelligent design controversy for about two years. And finally, despite my previous acceptance of evolutionary theory as "fact," I came to the realization that intelligent design, as a theory of origins, is no more religious, and no less scientific, than evolutionism.
    http://www.ideasinactiontv.com/tcs_d...evolution.html

"evolutionism"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you a religious bigot?
    (edit)

Irrelevant to the irrefutable fact that Roy Spencer believes intelligent design is as valid a theory as evolution.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Why are you not applying an appropriate amount of honest skepticism to Roy Spencer's work?
    All I do is apply honest skepticism which is why I am not making ad hominem arguments against Dr. Spencer like you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I do want more web hits. I had no idea you would be this helpful.

This is why the list and truth articles are such a problem for alarmists because in order for you to criticize them, you have to discuss them, which leads people to actually read them. As anyone rational can read the source material themselves and make up their own minds. This generates an actual positive feedback loop as the truth spreads.
    The email was exclusively about your mental disorder and how it manifests. You going to write an article le "The Truth About My Aspergers Disorder?"

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    The email was exclusively about your mental disorder and how it manifests. You going to write an article le "The Truth About My Aspergers Disorder?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Implied:

"Randomguy says that Roy Spencer is not a credible scientist because he believes that non-scientific theories can be as valid as scientific ones"

Random guy is a religious bigot.

Therefore, I, PopTech say Randomguy is wrong about Roy Spencer"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fallacy: Ad Hominem

Description of Ad Hominem
    Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her cir stances, or her actions is made (or the character, cir stances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
    Person B makes an attack on person A.
    Therefore A's claim is false.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Person A = RandomGuy
    Claim X = Roy Spencer is not a credible scientist because he believes that non-scientific theories can be as valid as scientific ones
    Person B = Poptech
    Attack = Random guy is a religious bigot

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    The religious bigots are all very easy to spot as they obsess on discussing creationism like RG does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I do is apply honest skepticism which is why I am not making ad hominem arguments against Dr. Spencer like you are.
    Dr. Spencers claims on climate science cannot be logically dismissed simply because he equates non-scientific theories with scientific ones.

He could very well be right, about his climate science claims, I lack the inclination to really dig into it.

However, when one has indications that a person engages in poor reasoning, one should be a bit more skeptical of that persons' interpretation of data.

That is quite logical and appropriate.

If I have a less than credible expert interpreting data one way, and another credible expert telling me something else entirely, it is only logical to assign the latter a higher probability of being correct than the former.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 05-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Thread Information