Page 18 of 210 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Showing another heavily edited page doesn't posit much. Might want to edit in the nukes to make it more convincing.
    Are you taking drugs as we are discussing this? I NEVER EDITED THE PAGE YOU MENTAL RE .

The Nuke reference is in an update!

http://www.populartechnology.net/201...urcewatch.html

The strawman was that you never claimed it was the more egregious and you instead pointed to the nukes as being worse. You just edited them out. Just like you did with:
    Oh god you are mentally re ed. Yes I discussed my opinion on this issue with you but I never mentioned her or it on my page.

I also recall the maiming language that you used originally in your article.
    Yes "maiming" is still there for tree ing you idiot. That is what is for the first time and has not changed. Your drug addicted mind came up with the strawman argument about "pipe-bombs".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll bet he doesn't know the difference between FAR, SAR, TAR, AR4, and AR5...

That is...

Wait...

I'll bet he's googling hard right now.
    Its more like it was an assumption on my part that you had found this issue with the most recent incarnation. There were 1 or 2 out of 400ish lead authors in previous years and none in the one under production.

Despite the few grad students involved the NAS still concurred with their findings.

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Sure but only having one maybe two a single time out of hundreds of authors total is not very significant. Its ad hominem anyway because at no point do you even look at their work

2007 had 1 out 450 LA.
    It demonstrates the IPCC's incompetence as they did not even check the credentials of their Lead Authors let alone the peer-review status of the references they use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation Fail - None of my reactions have been rage, shame or humiliation. This is a forum, you cannot see my physical person which remains completely calm at all times online.

Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals Fail - I have not taken advantage of anyone. That is just absurd.

Have excessive feelings of self-importance Fail - I have no such feelings

Exaggerate achievements and talents Fail - I have exaggerated nothing

Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love Fail - on all counts, I am already successful, I do not seek "power", I am not vain, I have no fantasies about my intelligence, I am in a fullfilling relationship with a beautiful women

Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment True - You got me there, I do not expect to be dishonestly lied about and now smeared as you and RG have done.

Need constant attention and admiration Fail - Absolute fail, You have no idea how I do not care for attention or admiration.

Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy Check - I could careless about yours or anyone else's feelings online. All I care about is what is true.

Have obsessive self-interest - Check - This is true but it has nothing to with this disorder but actually something else. I believe I have a mild form of aspergers syndrome similar to Michael Burry that allows me to relentlessly concentrate on a topic if I choose. This is actually a strength as I effectively never tire.

Pursue mainly selfish goals - Absolutely False - My whole point for doing this is I do not like liars like you and other alarmists. If you never stated any lies I would not even be here.
    Just like I am delusional about you writing this too?

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    Just like I am delusional about you writing this too?
    No such page exists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It demonstrates the IPCC's incompetence as they did not even check the credentials of their Lead Authors let alone the peer-review status of the references they use.
    You have any proof that they didn't know they were grad students or that the other cited works were not peer reviewed.

If you use other people's works you cite them. Grad students often work with professors in publishing; it happens in every college department in every school every year.

I don't see what the problem is. You certainly do not point to any false information

They still had over 13,000 peer reviewed citations.

Just seems like looking for something to about. At no point do we actually talk about the science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No such page exists.
    Did you write it then edit it to something else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have created an entirely illogical thread and cannot define the words you used improperly.

When you cannot debate logically you always fall back to this smear.

I have not "withdrawn" as in accepted your argument, I just have not bothered to read it recently. My arguments on the issue have not changed.
    There is a vast gulf between "cannot" and "will not".

I am fairly sure I have given a working definition of "denier", but since you want to harp on it, and it appears to be important for whatever reason:

"climate change denier" is a short hand for "a self-professed skeptic of the theory that humans, through their burning of fossil fuels, are both increasing atmospheric CO2 levels and therefore causing the earth to be generally warmer than it might otherwise be, and who generally believes, despite available evidence that this will have no harmful effects, and approaches the subject with flawed thinking due to confirmation bias that filters out evidence supporting AGW theory"

Generally, a "denier" is, in my mind, someone who is skeptical of AGW and the potential harmful changes this may be driving, but who is not an honest skeptic.

As I have said before, there a deliniation between an honest skeptic, and a denier, who generally uses arguments that attempt to construct what amounts to a conspiracy theory that there is some vast network of left-leaning scientists suppressing the "real truth".

Your buddy greenfyre has gone one at great length about it.

http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/denier-vs-skeptic/

You may also want to read for some background:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Global_warming

I have now, twice, given you some working, general guidelines.

If you want more, google is that way----------------------->

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter the order of the phrase, it's definition is illogical in it's application. I ask again, Who denies the climate changes?
    No one. Here is at least one of the quotes with Darrin directly implying that scientists are foolish to believe that our climate never changes.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...&postcount=278

Funny thing is, climate change would occur even if the Earth had no human population. So, really, the AGW crowd are the climate change deniers.
    Climate scientists never have claimed that our climate would never change.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...&postcount=286
    With all the "overwheming evidence" to support AGW, a sci-fi docudrama by a Nobel-winning ex vice president, and a more than willing mainstream media, you'd think that more than a third of the population would believe that humans cause climate change.

Why is getting harder and harder to sell this ROCK SOLID science?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The IPCC is so incompetent they cannot even get basic credentials of their lead authors correct.
    That isn't really a point.

Any large report that is a summary of a state of the science in a particular field will have some in accuracies when you are attempting to figure out everyone that contributed.

Pointing out minor mistakes in a scientific report, does not change the underlying validity of a field of study, or the conclusions.

Can the conclusions and assertions of the IPCC concerning climate science be logically dismissed because they made a mistake concerning creditials in the forward?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twenty years ago, as a PhD scientist, I intensely studied the evolution versus intelligent design controversy for about two years. And finally, despite my previous acceptance of evolutionary theory as "fact," I came to the realization that intelligent design, as a theory of origins, is no more religious, and no less scientific, than evolutionism.
    Again, as a general question:

If a scientist expresses a belief that a non-scientific theory has the same credibility as a scientific one, does that indicate one should assign more or less credibility to that scientist overall?

(still waiting on an answer form Poptech for this question)

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Moved from the other "pseudoscience" thread.

Random...

You explain complain about PopTech ignoring questions, how about a review of this, or are you a hypocrite?
    I have simply stopped trying to read much into your explanations. When I have in the past, they always turn out to be flawed thinking in some manner, usually because of your marked confirmation bias, and inability to sift out how that bias affects your starting assumptions.

At this point I assume that if you can't explain it easily, simply, and coherently, you are wrong.

From what I have seen, you are contradicting yourself.

Again, I could very well be wrong about that, I have not taken the time to dig into it.

It isn't really my intention to be obtuse, or an asshole here. I will drop it, since it is upsetting you, and go back into it when I have the time.

Please accept my apologies for being a bit frustrating, it is merely due to my unwillingness to spend the time fully understanding your argument, and that is more on me, than you. (edit) I will go in and do some reading on the studies and get back to you on that.
    Excuses, excuses.

I make simplified explanations so anyone with basic science skills can understand. I'm not quantifying the CO2 between the actual ocean and air here, just simplifying the way it works. Why is this so difficult?

Post #144, an example of how temperature alone, CO2 alone, and both change a mixture.

Using easier numbers just for an example. Let's assume we have balance of 98:2. We have 10,000 units. We have 9,800 units in water and 200 units in the air above the water. If we increase the temperature of the water enough to change the calculated balance to 97.6:2.4, then the system will equalize to that. Equalization will occur when the water has 9,760 units and the air has 240 units. We didn't add the 40 units. It was achieved by the change in temperature

Now let's use the same 10,000 units and keep the temperature stable. Let's add another 100 units (man-made) into the system. Our 10,000 number now becomes 10,100. Since the equilibrium is at 98:2, the water will absorb 98 units leaving 2 in the air. Our new mix is now 10,098 to 202. We added 100, but 98% of it was dissolved.

Now we do both. We increase temperature and we add 100 units. We have 10,100 units at a 97.6:2.4 ratio for equilibrium. We now have 9,857.2 units in the water and 242.4 units in the air. Only 2.4 more units out of 100 than if we didn't add the 100.
    Consider this. The 70 gallons is the atmosphere, the 19 gallons is the ocean sourcing, and the 1 gallon is the human emission. Pouring the 20 back out is the ocean sinking.

If I take a 100 gallon fish tank with 70 gallons of clear water in it, add 19 gallons of clear water, and add 1 gallon of water with 1 drop of dye in it, mix it up, then pour out 20 gallons to get the original 70 gallons, we will see some coloring in the water. The more we repeat this process of adding 19 clear and 1 colored, the darker the water will become, as we are slowly increasing the percentage of dye in the water.

Now consider how this applies to what we see in the isotopic ratio changes.
    What needs to be explained farther?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey guys, say I have a 10 gallon tank of water in a room with 9.82 gallons in the tank. The air around the water has water vapor in it, so the ratio of water form air is 98.2 and there is a full 10 gallons in the room. So, if I add 10 gallons of water to the room, the 10 gallon tank will then hold 18.4 gallons of water!

SCIENCE!!!!

Troll
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey guys, say I have a 10 gallon tank of water in a room with 9.82 gallons in the tank. The air around the water has water vapor in it, so the ratio of water form air is 98.2 and there is a full 10 gallons in the room. So, if I add 10 gallons of water to the room, the 10 gallon tank will then hold 18.4 gallons of water!

SCIENCE!!!!
    This is funny, but it's sad at the same time.

China and other Asian countries are going to dominate us, and it won't be because of the Kyoto protocal, illegal immigrants, spending, etc.

It will be because of idiotic good ole boy conservatives placed in positions of power. You could explain this 100 different ways, and they will ignore it and claim faith in something else..like Ronald Reagan or White pigmented Jesus.

Oil is a dead end, end of story. Most of these fools will be dead in 30 yrs, so it likely doesn't matter to them.

All this concern coming from them about our children and deficit spending is nonsense. The dollar is connected to oil and it will fail in catastrophic fashion if nothing is done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

China and other Asian countries are going to dominate us, and it won't be because of the Kyoto protocal, illegal immigrants, spending, etc.

It will be because of idiotic good ole boy conservatives placed in positions of power. You could explain this 100 different ways, and they will ignore it and claim faith in something else..like Ronald Reagan or White pigmented Jesus.

Yep, makes perfect sense.

Troll
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, makes perfect sense.
    I doubt it does to you. Co2 promotes plant growth dontcya know?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moved from the other "pseudoscience" thread.

Random...

You explain complain about PopTech ignoring questions, how about a review of this, or are you a hypocrite?

Excuses, excuses.
    Leave it to you to on an outstretched hand.

Every ing time I try to build up some modi of respect for you, you go off and say something stupid or counterproductive.

If you want to be a complete about it, I will keep putting off re-reading it all.

I made the promise to view it, and I will get to it.

I place how soon that happens in your hands. Be a and wait, or drop the hostility and get an answer sooner.

Your call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is funny, but it's sad at the same time.

Oil is a dead end, end of story. Most of these fools will be dead in 30 yrs, so it likely doesn't matter to them.

All this concern coming from them about our children and deficit spending is nonsense. The dollar is connected to oil and it will fail in catastrophic fashion if nothing is done.
    We will have oil for a long time, to be sure. But that is probably a better question for the "hydocarbon" thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Global Temperatures Rising on a Devastating Trajectory

UXBRIDGE, Canada, May 25, 2012 (IPS) - Climate-heating carbon emissions set a record high in 2011, in a 3.2 percent increase over the previous year, the International Energy Agency reported this week. The main reason for this dangerous increase is that governments are failing to implement policies to prevent catastrophic increases of global temperatures.

A new report released on the last days of international climate talks in Bonn, Germany this week reveals that the planet is heading to a temperature rise of at least 3.5 degrees Celsius, and likely more, according to the Climate Action Tracker (CAT), despite an international agreement to keep global temperature rise below two degrees Celsius.

Not only are pledges inadequate, but countries are unable to fulfill even those pledges, a new CAT analysis shows. CAT is a joint project of Dutch energy consulting organisation Ecofys, Germany's Climate Analytics, and the Potsdam Ins ute for Climate Impact Research.

"When we compared the emission reduction pledges of countries like Brazil, Mexico and the U.S., we found they did not have the policies in place to meet those pledges," said Niklas Höhne, director of energy and climate policy at Ecofys.

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=107928

=======

You right-wingers keep rearranging the chairs on the anic, and stuffing the boilers full of BigCoal's .'

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, to be fair the US's emissions actually dropped due to our move away from coal.

Troll
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will have oil for a long time, to be sure. But that is probably a better question for the "hydocarbon" thread.
    That depends on how much people are willing to pay. You can get oil out of peanuts too for eternity. But it's pretty expensive.

At some point, peanut oil will be cheaper. Never mind the massive risk of screwing up our water table with all of this shale exploration

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That depends on how much people are willing to pay. You can get oil out of peanuts too for eternity. But it's pretty expensive.

At some point, peanut oil will be cheaper. Never mind the massive risk of screwing up our water table with all of this shale exploration
    As the natural supply and demand moves the cost, there will be real need to develop other options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With consistent population growth and declining production, I would not be so sure of that.

Even with rising prices, population out of control and more and more of the world --most notable recent example: China-- is becoming dependent and highly functional in a fossil fuel economy.

We are creating pipelines to export our excess production to China and Europe all so industrialist can become further entrenched as 'elites.'

Most of the rhetoric in terms of projections does not consider population growth. If you want to think of it in terms of our lifetimes then sure we probably will not be faced with that but what about our kids?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave it to you to on an outstretched hand.

Every ing time I try to build up some modi of respect for you, you go off and say something stupid or counterproductive.

If you want to be a complete about it, I will keep putting off re-reading it all.

I made the promise to view it, and I will get to it.

I place how soon that happens in your hands. Be a and wait, or drop the hostility and get an answer sooner.

Your call.
    I will help you out. You have seen WC's method: a single scalar temperature value and a solubility chart.

I present to you MIT's version of a simplified ocean-atmosphere transfer model: http://ocean.mit.edu/~mick/Papers/ItoFollows2003.pdf

I actually recommend reading it. Its fairly easy to follow, thorough and insightful to the mechanics of what goes on in the ocean. They assume a fixed pH and an abiotic system so as to simplify the mechanics as that in addition to temperature changes drastically changes the CO2 solubility state. thus this is their version of 'simple.'

They model a system of varying temperature where the warmer water of the surface mixes and subducts with the lower layer through changes in density, how circulation of the ocean furthers this mixing and models how the various CO2 concentrations move within the ocean. It breaks down into a quadratic and if you are familiar with how to analyze them they break down when various extremes occur and make the of ther factor statistically insignificant. For example

Weak wind forcing and slow transport, or
    Strong wind forcing and rapid transport.

Salient quotes from the study:

Why does the deep ocean carbon reservoir show such a small change in C? The deep
    waters do indeed become increasingly undersaturated as the wind-stress forcing increases
    since the shorter surface residence time also impacts the subpolar region (Fig. 11). In the
    deep ocean, however, the enhanced undersaturation, C, is almost completely compensated
    by the increase in Ceq, the saturation C, due to the increase in pCO2
    at. Globally,
    changes in ocean C are buffered, stabilizing the ocean-atmosphere carbon par ioning

see, for example (Bolin and Eriksson, 1959).
    A simple ocean and atmosphere box model illustrates the compensation of Ceq and C
    which must hold for the global ocean. We define the global mean ocean C concentration
    C  (VdCd  VthCth)/(Vd  Vth) (see Fig. 3). From this and (1) we may relate C and
    pCO2
    at through mass balance. They must obey, MpCO2
    at  VC  constant, where M is the
    number of moles of gas in the atmosphere, and V  Vd  Vth is the total volume of the
    ocean. Consider small perturbations in atmospheric pCO2 and mean ocean C concentration.
    MpCO2
    at  VC  0. (27)
    Following (6), a perturbation in C must be the sum of perturbations in Ceq and C in the
    abiotic limit.
    C  Ceq  C. (28)
    Combining (28) with the definition of the Revelle or buffer factor (Bolin and Eriksson,
    1959), (pCO2
    at/pCO2
    at)/(Ceq/Ceq)  Bu O(10) we find an expression for the change
    in global mean C:
    C   Ceq
    BupCO2
    atpCO2
    at  C. (29)
    Combining (29) with the linearized mass balance (27) we can evaluate the sensitivity of the
    ocean mean carbon concentration, C , to the saturation state, C:
    C
    C
    MBupCO2
    at
    VCeq
     0.2. (30)
    This relationship tells us that, in the globally averaged, steady state, a change in saturation
    state, C, must be largely compensated by a corresponding change in the saturation
    carbon concentration, Ceq due to increasing atmospheric pCO2. Hence the resulting
    change in C is moderate. C = 0.2C.
    A lot of the symbology doesn't copy over

Here is the conclusion:

The theory and models suggest a dominant and significant role for the upper ocean in
    modulating the response of atmospheric pCO2 to changes in the wind stress forcing, as has
    occurred in past climate changes. Doubling the wind-stress leads to an increase in
    atmospheric pCO2 of as much as 30 ppmv in this model.
    Interestingly, this infers a
    mechanism which would increase atmospheric CO2 during glacial climates where hemispheric
    temperature gradients and mid-la ude westerlies would likely be increased.
    Compare that with the delta C from fantasy land numbers of 142 from Dr EZ Bake Oven.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, to be fair the US's emissions actually dropped due to our move away from coal.
    Coalition for Clean Coal ads exhorting people to tell their Congresscriter to kill the new EPA emission rules.

Thread Information