Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're leaving out a first team all NBA defensive player in that list.
    I'm not impressed by Marcus Camby's younger clone...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True - Ibaka's man to man defense was one aspect at which he really needed to improve - and he has, very much so. Still, his weak side help and shot blocking is still his main asset. Ibaka was voted onto this NBA all defensive team by the league's coaches, not media idiots who just look at stats. Ibaka is flat out a game changer defensively. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen enough of Ibaka. The coaches around the league recognize his impact on the defensive end, despite any shortcomings he might have in some areas.

THe coaches put Chris Paul and Kobe Bryan on the first team.

Their cred was shot after that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True - Ibaka's man to man defense was one aspect at which he really needed to improve - and he has, very much so. Still, his weak side help and shot blocking is still his main asset. Ibaka was voted onto this NBA all defensive team by the league's coaches, not media idiots who just look at stats. Ibaka is flat out a game changer defensively. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen enough of Ibaka. The coaches around the league recognize his impact on the defensive end, despite any shortcomings he might have in some areas.
    Kobe's on an all NBA defensive team this year too (he was even on the first team last year when he was terrible on D). Completely devalues that award imo. I don't put much stock into it anymore.

I don't deny that Ibaka has positive defensive impact, but at the same time Ibaka keeps blocking balls into the stands (possession back to opposing team), or hard to the 3pt line (back into possession of the opposing team), which practically makes the block pointless. Dwight Howard does the same thing. Blocks are only really good when you get the ball afterward. Otherwise it's just another highlight play that didn't make a whole lot of difference. I don't consider Ibaka to be a top 5 defender in the league really. More like around 15-20 area. Still good, but doesn't do well in the post, especially against players with a lot of moves like Duncan who's been beasting in the playoffs thus far.

Speaking of Duncan and playoffs, he's 9 blocks away from setting the all time playoffs blocks record. Since he's getting about 2 per game this postseason, odds are high he'll get it on some Thunder player who will forever have the dubious honor of being a footnote in NBA history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, honestly defensively I'm more worried about Sefolosha than Ibaka, especially if Thabo is guarding Manu. How he didn't make 2nd team all-defense is beyond me. (Congrats Kobe, btw, on your lifetime achievement award!)

Anywho, all joking/trolling aside, this should be a great series (probably the best of the playoffs), and honestly, I wouldn't see it as an upset if the Thunder won. Both these teams are rolling. The Spurs are a superior all-around team, but anything could happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thunder thrive off energy either via their crowd, or Ibaka's highlight blocks, or their Big 3's isolation plays.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what their team system is. They were able to stay close with LA and then were able to make a few big runs to open the game up.

The difference when they play the Spurs is that when OKC isn't making big runs we will methodically and slowly pull away from them. I'm sure OKC will still go on occasional runs, but as has been the case time after time with them, we wear them down mentally because they really don't have a mature/playoff approach to the game: no inside offense, thrive off of transition, thrive off of their home court. Against a solid team like the Spurs I just don't see them getting the same opportunities to get into their "zone". I think they will lose focus and energy due to our "surgical approach" of constantly wearing them down with precision.

Isn't that what happens everytime we play them?

Edit: And even when we really weren't that good and were still playing with that bozo RJ, we still found a way to win the game. Obviously, this gives motivation for them to overcome us, but I don't think their approach to the game has changed enough just for them to give more effort and expect to win.

Their offense is. VDN offense. Roll the ball out and just play. They aren't much for sets it seems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perk/Ibaka/Collison/Nazi are defensively much better than injured Griffin/Jordan/Martin/Trashman

thinking otherwise

Don't sabe me bro....

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of feel sorry for Westbrook. He seems like a nice guy. But Tony is in his head. And not to mention that Goldstein guy calling him out for wearing fake glasses and looking like a dork. Ouch.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    Point taken on the blocks going out of bounds or back to the shooting team. Ibaka's damn good though. Yes, some of those blocks don't produce results, but many do and the number of shots he deters, alters, etc is significant. His impact is substantial whether he blocks the shot or not. I'm not making him out to be the NBA's finest defensive big, but he's damn good and he's not even at his peak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka IMO isn't the smartest of players either. He loves for some reason from time to time jack up jump shots like he's Dirk Nowitzki, and I reiterate his penchant for wanting to "block everything". More often than not against smart teams those players don't play much due to foul trouble.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as this series goes the question isn't whether or not Ibaka is a great defender (he is). It's to what extent will his effect on the defensive side of the court be dimished by him having to leave the paint to stick with a Spurs big who can shoot from the outside?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point taken on the blocks going out of bounds or back to the shooting team. Ibaka's damn good though. Yes, some of those blocks don't produce results, but many do and the number of shots he deters, alters, etc is significant. His impact is substantial whether he blocks the shot or not. I'm not making him out to be the NBA's finest defensive big, but he's damn good and he's not even at his peak.
    Oh I know, I have no hate for Ibaka. If I could take any player off the Thunder right now it'd be Ibaka (in terms of adding to the Spurs). He's a good player. I like his mid range jumper as well.

But yeah, I find myself not staying awake at night over his shot blocking when he just blocks it back into our hands. Same deal, I don't stay awake at night over a few dunks either. They just count for 2 points in the end, not 5 or 10. Thunder can poster the Spurs all series long for all I care as long as SA still wins. You can have the highlights, I'll take the le.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka usually blocks from the weak side, which means not much body contact. I don't see fouling being an issue. If he guards TD on the other hand... But he won't IMO Perk will guard TD.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    As far as this series goes the question isn't whether or not Ibaka is a great defender (he is). It's to what extent will his effect on the defensive side of the court be dimished by him having to leave the paint to stick with a Spurs big who can shoot from the outside?
    Exactly. What you're going to see this series is a lot of "small ball" by OKC with KD at the 4 and Ibaka/Collison at C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. What you're going to see this series is a lot of "small ball" by OKC with KD at the 4 and Ibaka/Collison at C.
    I hope so, especially with Fish used in the smallball lineup.

Neither Ibaka nor Collison can guard Tim without a double team.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    I hope so, especially with Fish used in the smallball lineup.

Neither Ibaka nor Collison can guard Tim without a double team.
    Not to take anything from Duncan, but I honestly (even being objective) don't see Duncan as one of the more difficult defensive assignment Ibaka sees during the course of a season. OKC will not double team Duncan. I'll take my chances one on one with Duncan vs leaving those other guys to shoot the ball without a defender 8 feet from them.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    Duncan against OKC this year
    5-13, 11 pts
    5-16 13 pts
    5-13 16pts

He's not worthy of a double team from OKC. 6 of his 42 shot attempts were blocked. That's a high %.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-13, 11 pts
    5-16 13 pts
    5-13 16pts

He's not worthy of a double team from OKC. 6 of his 42 shot attempts were blocked. That's a high %.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-13, 11 pts
    5-16 13 pts
    5-13 16pts

I hope Scotty Brooks didnt watch the Clipper series and is thinking the exact same thing, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-13, 11 pts
    5-16 13 pts
    5-13 16pts

Duncan against Clippers in the regular season
    5-13, 10 points
    5-14, 11 points
    7-13, 17 points

In the postseason
    12-20, 26 points
    9-14, 18 points
    8-16, 19 points
    9-14, 21 points

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collison might have a shot but Ibaka would be heading to the bench with foul trouble shortly if he's guarding Tim for a prolonged period time.

Perk should do a decent job but he's gonna be pick n roll'd to death while he's out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up. Made some good points. As hot as Westbrook, Durant, and Harden are, if we can limit just one of those guys scoring a little bit and play Spurs ball like we have been, I think we have a great shot. Gotta force turnovers a bit more too and crash the boards. I can't wait for Sunday. Believe. Go Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    Hey I'm not saying Duncan's not a great player! I just don't think OKC should double team him. If the rest of the team sucked, yeah sure...but they don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-13, 11 pts
    5-16 13 pts
    5-13 16pts

Good, Timmy's gonna tear some up then.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan against Clippers in the regular season
    5-13, 10 points
    5-14, 11 points
    7-13, 17 points

In the postseason
    12-20, 26 points
    9-14, 18 points
    8-16, 19 points
    9-14, 21 points
    Nice post, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    Not saying he's going to repeat that 3 game regular season trend. Duncan's gonna get his. He's one of those guys. You can't double team him and let 3 other guys get theirs too though.

Thread Information