Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. What you're going to see this series is a lot of "small ball" by OKC with KD at the 4 and Ibaka/Collison at C.
    The Spurs are comfortable playing that way too so I'm sure we'll see a lot of it from both teams during this series.

Not to take anything from Duncan, but I honestly (even being objective) don't see Duncan as one of the more difficult defensive assignment Ibaka sees during the course of a season. OKC will not double team Duncan. I'll take my chances one on one with Duncan vs leaving those other guys to shoot the ball without a defender 8 feet from them.
    Duncan against OKC this year
    5-13, 11 pts
    5-16 13 pts
    5-13 16pts

He's not worthy of a double team from OKC. 6 of his 42 shot attempts were blocked. That's a high %.
    A couple of counterpoints to that.

1. Postseason Tim Duncan > Regular season Tim Duncan
    2. Granted it's been a couple months since these teams last played, but my recollection is that OKC was doubling Duncan. Dejaun Blair had some of his best games of the season against OKC and I've got to believe that's a direct result of extra attention being given to Duncan.
    3. The guy starting next to Duncan these days is a much bigger offensive threat than Dejuan Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the benefit of it, tbh. The rebounding edge of Diaw over Leonard at the 4 isn't that substantial and he's not aggressive enough to take advantage of Durant in the post. Even though he's got the weight, Durant has a massive advantage in wingspan to counter that, and I think the refs will protect him down there. And it's not like Bonner will back down Durant.

Unless Diaw buries Durant in the post every trip, what do we gain from that?

Also, not sure how much Harden and Sefolosha even play together. I think Fisher is more of their smallball guy.
    He is saying have Leonard on Durant, so im confused what you are saying.

You are probably right about fisher for small ball though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True - Ibaka's man to man defense was one aspect at which he really needed to improve - and he has, very much so. Still, his weak side help and shot blocking is still his main asset. Ibaka was voted onto this NBA all defensive team by the league's coaches, not media idiots who just look at stats. Ibaka is flat out a game changer defensively. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen enough of Ibaka. The coaches around the league recognize his impact on the defensive end, despite any shortcomings he might have in some areas.
    OK, but remember -- in the Spurs motion sets, both Duncan and Diaw are moving around all over the half court. If he edges off either one of them to be in a position to protect the paint, the Spurs are getting easy baskets. Keeping Ibaka in a position to be able to do the kind of damage he's used to doing is going to be nearly impossible.

The fact that he's a weak man defender but an excellent help defender is all the more reason to run sets where he has to commit to being primarily a man defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to answer your questions, mathmatically 7'5" (89 inches) is 8.53% larger than 6'10" (82 inches). So he should've been on the list if that was the case. If they're listing him at 6'9", then the gap is even greater at 9.88%.

So either his wingspan is smaller than 7'5" and he's not on the list, or he's just not put on the list for some reason.

I looked up his draft express stats and it says he's 6'9" even (6'10 1/4" with shoes), and has a wingspan of 7'4 3/4th". So that's 9.12% according to draft express, and should be right where Marshon Brooks is.
    the chart uses height w/shoes. So durant would be less than that 8.53%( which wouldn't have made the list anyways.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - How can a team that swept the reigning champs and went 3-1 vs. Lakers have less momentum that a team that swept the lowly Jazz and the injured Clips? And no I don't count regular season winning streaks. (not to mention Harden's injury)

- As of today Manu is not Spurs best swingman. Far from it.

- Live by the 3 die by the 3

This series will come down to the following:
    - can Duncan still dominate opposing bigs?
    - can Durant be contained?
    - can Manu improve his game to at least match Harden?
    you keep putting way too much stock into them beating the Mavs and Lakers, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the benefit of it, tbh. The rebounding edge of Diaw over Leonard at the 4 isn't that substantial and he's not aggressive enough to take advantage of Durant in the post. Even though he's got the weight, Durant has a massive advantage in wingspan to counter that, and I think the refs will protect him down there. And it's not like Bonner will back down Durant.

Unless Diaw buries Durant in the post every trip, what do we gain from that?

Also, not sure how much Harden and Sefolosha even play together. I think Fisher is more of their smallball guy.
    OK, so the Spurs have Duncan, Diaw, Leonard, Ginobili, and Parker on the floor. The Thunder have Ibaka, Durant, Harden, Fisher, and Westbrook.

Who on Earth is Fisher going to guard? Fisher guarding Parker or Ginobili is a sick joke. Kawhi is probably the least potent Spur offensively, and he's got 6 inches on Fisher and is a lot faster besides at this point in Fisher's career.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    OK, but remember -- in the Spurs motion sets, both Duncan and Diaw are moving around all over the half court. If he edges off either one of them to be in a position to protect the paint, the Spurs are getting easy baskets. Keeping Ibaka in a position to be able to do the kind of damage he's used to doing is going to be nearly impossible.

The fact that he's a weak man defender but an excellent help defender is all the more reason to run sets where he has to commit to being primarily a man defender.
    Valid point. I only recall Ibaka mainly paired with Blair, who I take it is fairly different on offense than Diaw. Ibaka is not a weak man defender. He's just not. Great? No. Weak? Also a no. On the flip side to your point, also keep in mind that Ibaka covers ground unlike any frontcourt player you'll see in the NBA so...he very often makes up for any defensive lapses by him or his teammates on that ability alone. Ibaka's not your primary concern here in this series, but he's a definite factor. Just as, for instance, OKC hasn't seen a PG like Parker in the playoffs this year, SA has not seen a frontcourt defensive player like Ibaka..and they will have to make adjustments accordingly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you keep putting way too much stock into them beating the Mavs and Lakers, tbh.
    'cheguevara' doesn't know so don't worry about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good to have Thunder fans on the board. I hope they're better than Seattle fans.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    We're the nicest fans in the NBA! lol Well, that's what Jimmy Goldstein says anyways.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'cheguevara' doesn't know so don't worry about him.
    by all means be my guest and give us mortals your technical breakdown of the series

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're the nicest fans in the NBA! lol Well, that's what Jimmy Goldstein says anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, he has dominated a young Jazz frontline and an injured/ ty Clippers frontline. my point is can he still dominate a much superior OKC frontline?
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, he has dominated a young Jazz frontline and an injured/ ty Clippers frontline. my point is can he still dominate a much superior OKC frontline?
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC Frontline >> Jazz/injured Clips

Believe.
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    OKC's frontline is easily better than that of the Clippers. I don't see how you could really dispute that. Griffin is mediocre (at very best) on the defensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A major key to the series is to challenge Durant on both sides of the court, test his strength, have SJAX post him up a few times per game. This prevents him from roaming on defense and creating fast break opportunities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ibaka is a much better weakside defender then d jordan

jordan looked like a dumb fck tyring to cover the weakside v the spurs
    Last edited by slick'81; 05-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC Frontline >> Jazz/injured Clips
    Defensively yeah, but not offensively. Millsap, Jefferson, & Favors >>>>> Ibaka and Perkins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Valid point. I only recall Ibaka mainly paired with Blair, who I take it is fairly different on offense than Diaw. Ibaka is not a weak man defender. He's just not. Great? No. Weak? Also a no. On the flip side to your point, also keep in mind that Ibaka covers ground unlike any frontcourt player you'll see in the NBA so...he very often makes up for any defensive lapses by him or his teammates on that ability alone. Ibaka's not your primary concern here in this series, but he's a definite factor. Just as, for instance, OKC hasn't seen a PG like Parker in the playoffs this year, SA has not seen a frontcourt defensive player like Ibaka..and they will have to make adjustments accordingly.
    You're right -- calling him a "weak" man defender is overstating it. My bad.

And for sure, his ability to cover ground quickly is what makes him so elite as a help defender. It will be a constant battle for the Spurs to keep the players and the ball moving fast enough to keep Ibaka out of the path to the basket. That said... that's what the Spurs do. They move players around like crazy and they put 5 guys on the floor who can pass the ball well. This is almost certainly the toughest offense in the league for Ibaka to try to do what he does best.

Bonner/Blair can't do dat capek's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're the whitest fans in the NBA! lol Well, that's what Jimmy Goldstein says anyways.
    fixed

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^ Pretty sure the team we faced in the first round has that honor.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - How can a team that swept the reigning champs and went 3-1 vs. Lakers have less momentum that a team that swept the lowly Jazz and the injured Clips? And no I don't count regular season winning streaks. (not to mention Harden's injury)

- As of today Manu is not Spurs best swingman. Far from it.

- Live by the 3 die by the 3

This series will come down to the following:
    - can Duncan still dominate opposing bigs?
    - can Durant be contained?
    - can Manu improve his game to at least match Harden?
    This was clearly NOT the same Mavs team as last year. Dont insult last years Mavs with this years Mavs. It was a COMPLETELY diff. Mavs team. Kidd is done. Dirk was hobbled. NO CHANDLER, no D inside. And no Barea to shake things up. And there is more. These were the defending champs only in name.

The Lakers... The Lakers...

They are going to blow their team up because they are so damn slow and have absolutely no bench. I can understand you saying its not going to be as easy as other posters think. But to think Dallas and LA are any better than Utah and the Clips has no merit imo.

And live by the 3 die by the 3... are you still in last years Memphis series?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC's frontline is easily better than that of the Clippers. I don't see how you could really dispute that. Griffin is mediocre (at very best) on the defensive end.
    Jefferson from Utah was better in the playoffs than any big on OKC, the Clips, and the Lakers (because Bynum does not show in half the games and Gasol quit sick and tired of Kobe).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offense, cheguevara ... but you did also 'predict' that The Grizz would come back and get rid of The Clips in the middle of that series. ... But those "injured Clips" took care of business and beat the living outta' The Grizz on their own homecourt nonetheless.

And now... here we aaarrrree...

Just sayin'.

Thread Information