Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hopefully we can see some of this elite defense timvp brushed upon. spurs will need to tighten their defense because it's a matter of when not if the spurs' jump shots will stop falling. as they get deeper in the playoffs, their hands will be a bit shakier and the mental pressure becomes heavier. there will be a few games where the spurs will shoot horribly and the only way to recover is to play excellent defense.

it's hard to judge the spurs' level of defense the past two series. the jazz and clippers' offense in no way compares to the thunder's. we don't really know if spurs defense improved or if they simply faced struggling teams.

however, the spurs have slowly added the personnel to play above average defense and even parker improved. replacing jefferson and blair with leonard and diaw at the starting spots have reaped dividends. the media constantly praises the spurs' efficient offense while the spurs' defense flies under the radar. i still believe defense wins championships and hope pop has been secretly disciplining the spurs into playing hard nosed defense once again. i want to see pop unleash the defense onto the thunder like a card he's been holding back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hopefully we can see some of this elite defense timvp brushed upon. spurs will need to tighten their defense because it's a matter of when not if the spurs' jump shots will stop falling. as they get deeper in the playoffs, their hands will be a bit shakier and the mental pressure becomes heavier. there will be a few games where the spurs will shoot horribly and the only way to recover is to play excellent defense.

it's hard to judge the spurs' level of defense the past two series. the jazz and clippers' offense in no way compares to the thunder's. we don't really know if spurs defense improved or if they simply faced struggling teams.

however, the spurs have slowly added the personnel to play above average defense and even parker improved. replacing jefferson and blair with leonard and diaw at the starting spots have reaped dividends. the media constantly praises the spurs' efficient offense while the spurs' defense flies under the radar. i still believe defense wins championships and hope pop has been secretly disciplining the spurs into playing hard nosed defense once again. i want to see pop unleash the defense onto the thunder like a card he's been holding back.
    That eight minute stretch against the Clippers shows the defensive potential of this team. I don't think it would have been possible in the past. The Clippers weren't just missing shots. The Spurs were forcing them to miss.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm excited to see what scheme Pop comes up with for defense.

Coach Brooks...I'm still not sure what he does with this team. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I just can't put a finger on what stamp, if any, he has put on this team other than just trying to make everyone get along. He's let Westbrook try to take over games a la Kobe for years now. I'd think a strong-minded coach would have put an end to that years ago.

So if Pop can force Brooks to make changes, then I think that is a great start for the series, in theory, because I don't think he's had much experience having to do much coaching other than babysitting. Of course, I don't want them to be changes that actually help their team.
    I believe the Thunder are pretty good when Westbrook takes over.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A look at the standings and stats to compare the playoff strengths of those teams doesn't cut it with me. The playoff experience of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and, when he was there, Artest/Peace or Dirk, Terry, Kidd and company means far more to me post-season.
    I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just saying the extent of the gap that's been portrayed between the compe ion is a myth. But it is funny, though. The past few seasons, when many remained steadfast that the Spurs weren't contenders, I never heard when someone beat them in the playoffs about how difficult it was because of their championship experience. Now the Spurs and Lakers (and to a lesser extent, Mavs) have swapped places, yet they're still being built up for what they've done in the past.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach Lowe on SI gave a very important stat:

The Thunder allowed the fourth most corner three-pointers this season.

That could potentially be HUGE. The Spurs live off of corner three-pointers. That could also explain why the Spurs have shot >50% on three-pointers against the Thunder over the last two seasons.

If a team doesn't defend the corner threes against the Spurs, they are usually doomed, tbh. The Grizzlies, for example, made it a point to eliminate corner threes last year in the playoffs ... and we all remember how well that strategy worked.

Please, please, please keep ignoring those corner threes, OKC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well thunder covered threes well for most part but spurs made some big ones in 4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall, I'm optimistic of San Antonio's chances. It's not going to be easy regardless of what Spurs fans who are blinded by the glare of the 18-game winning streak will tell you. It will require a number of players being at the top of their game. I haven't yet decided on my final prediction but I really do believe the Spurs can do this.

Believe..
    That would be a 19-game winning streak, not 18.

Thread Information