Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Thunder forward Kevin Durant pleaded for the ball Monday night after Manu Ginobli sprinted over to cover him in the fourth quarter of a game against the Spurs.

“Yo! Yo! Gimme the rock, mother er! Hurry” Durant screamed at point guard Russel Westbrook while frantically waving his arms back and forth. “Yo! White guy on 35! White guy on 35! Let’s go, let’s go!”

When Durant finally got the ball, he effortlessly glided past the white Ginobli for an easy layup. The sequence was repeated throughout the fourth quarter, resulting in a 20 point victory for the Thunder.

“I saw Ginobli come running up to me and I thought, ‘Okay, it’s Durantula time,’” said a triumphant Durant after the game. “Fortunately Russel is good at getting the ball to the guy that’s being covered by a white guy. That’s one of the areas he’s really improved on this year. As soon as he sees white, the pass is off.”

Durant then described the elation of seeing a white guy run over to defend him.

“It’s like ‘Wow, is this really happening?’ You can’t get the ball fast enough. So you just stand there waving your arms around, hoping that somebody notices the mismatch. Don’t get me wrong. There are some good white defenders. It’s just that they’re all dead.”

Westbrook, who collected 14 assists in the fourth quarter, recalled the moment in the game when he realized Ginobli was assigned to Durant.

“I was setting up the play and all of a sudden I heard Durant screaming for the ball,” said Westbrook. “So I turned to look at him and there he was, one-on-one with a white guy. I just tossed him the ball and started jogging back down the court without even waiting for the shot. I’m not sure why their coach went with that strategy. I’m thinking maybe he thought Ginobli was one of those light-skinned black guys.”

Ginobli felt he held his own against Durant, and was quick to point out that many of Durant’s baskets were highly contested.

“Look, Durant's a great player and it’s tough for anyone to guard him,” said Ginobli. “But I thought I did a pretty good job. I actually contested one of his fadeaway jumpers. On another occasion I got in an honest to goodness defensive stance. Yup, If there's one thing I can say for myself, it’s that I tried my hardest- or my name isn’t Mike Miller. Manu Ginobli. Whatever.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a

Thread Information