Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very interesting.

S&T seems the way to go. A package like Bonner + Neal + Byars + $3M in cash + first round pick for Ilyasova could be enough for Milwaukee.
    No trading first round picks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about the amount of the cap hold. In the scenario Bruno outlined, Green's small cap hold would not prevent the signings in his example. They could sign him to an amount larger than his cap hold once all other signings were complete.

Miami did that with Joel Anthony in 2010. His cap hold was around 1M. That was the amount that counted against the salary cap as they signed all the other players. Once they were done, they signed Anthony to a contract that started at more than 3M using his Bird rights.

In the Howard example you gave, Williams' cap hold is over 17M.
    Hmm yeah forgot about the cap holds, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am sick and tired of the Spurs drafting and wanting soft big men like Lourbek. It's about time the spurs had someone big to fill the paint as a low key presence... a big man along the lines of Kendrick Perkins, Deandre Jordan, or Tyson Chandler.

I was a huge proponent of the spurs trying to get Ronny Turiaf instead of Diaw, but it's really apparent that this is what we are lacking for a complete team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rule restricts trading first round picks in two consecutive future drafts. The Spurs can trade their 2013 first round pick.
    Oh, so since the sign & trade would be made AFTER the 2012 draft (obviously) it is allowed to trade the 2013 pick?

So then they would not be able to trade their 2014 pick until after the 2013 draft, right?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am sick and tired of the Spurs drafting and wanting soft big men like Lourbek. It's about time the spurs had someone big to fill the paint as a low key presence... a big man along the lines of Kendrick Perkins, Deandre Jordan, or Tyson Chandler.

I was a huge proponent of the spurs trying to get Ronny Turiaf instead of Diaw, but it's really apparent that this is what we are lacking for a complete team.
    Kendrick would be a terrible big to have on the Spurs.

You say that like you still wish we would have got Turiaf over Diaw. Do you? If so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, so since the sign & trade would be made AFTER the 2012 draft (obviously) it is allowed to trade the 2013 pick?
    Yes

So then they would not be able to trade their 2014 pick until after the 2013 draft, right?
    If they had already traded their 2013 pick, then yes.

Here are the details about the Stepien rule (named after a former Cleveland owner who traded away a bunch of future first round picks):

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No trading first round picks.
    Why? We're gonna have a pick in the 20s again. I really don't see picks mattering that much until spurs start to suck. If we could have traded a pick in a package that brought back a decent player a few years back, not many would be crying that we didn't get a shot a drafting Cory Joseph.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your right on, but the FO is slow to catch on.
    Ronny Turiaf is a guy I wanted as an enforcer. I thought the Spurs should have went after him harder. Someone that could lay the wood on players when the came into the lane could have made a difference against the other Championship contenders.

In the 2008 season I said PJ Brown was the missing piece to the Championship puzzle. I thought the Spurs needed to get him to add toughness to the team so we could repeat. Turns out PJ Brown was the missing piece to Boston's Championship puzzle. Not many people thought much of him, but I thought at the start of the season the Spurs should try and get him. I can't believe he then to Boston later in the season and was huge for them in the playoffs. As good as Boston played in the regular season without his huge efforts in the playoffs they probably don't win without him. He was actually even bigger than I thought he would be.

We haven't had an enforcer since 2005 with Tony Massenburg.

Spurs need size and toughness, yet they keep getting soft bigmen.

Why are the Spurs so slow to catch on?

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    enforcer wouldnt have done much when james harden runs into him and flops
    then stares him down and the enforcer gets ejected from the game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    enforcer wouldnt have done much when james harden runs into him and flops
    then stares him down and the enforcer gets ejected from the game
    ahh no. I'd always rather have an enforcer over soft bigs like Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    has the bucks offered him a new contract yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm willing to bet that the Spurs have THE SOFTEST frontcourt in the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have never watched Lorbek play if you think he is soft. The guy is one of the most physical bigman in Europe. He is not as tough as Chandler or Perkins but the guy is every bit as physical as Duncan, Love and most PF in the league. He isn't going to be no DPOY candidate but the guy doesn't mind being physical at all.
    To be honest, I watched his highlights on youtube, and the best thing he seems to be good at is a hook shot... in which case the best case scenario we can compare him to is the likes of a Pau Gasol. There is a reason the Lakers are trying to trade Pau Gasol, because that guy is mentally and physically soft.

Now, as MUCH as I had to admit it, and I don't want to sound like a racist or anything... but if you have a huge black man as a center I can guarantee you that James Harden would think twice before flopping in the key. Like the previous posters, we do need an ENFORCER. And as I have said before, Ronny Turiaf was perfect for that role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and for the record, part of the reason the Spurs lost to OKC was because Diaw was nowhere to be found after the 2nd game. All throughout the playoffs, he did EXACTLY what the spurs needed him to do: reverse lay-ups around the paint. It was prevalent throughout the first two games against OKC. Somewhere in between the end of the second game and third game, Diaw decided it was better to keep kicking the ball out to the shooters than to have an easy reverse lay-up. Now, if, lets say it was Kendrick Perkins instead of Diaw, I can guarantee he would try to slam it in, at least getting two attempts at the ft line

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ilyasova and Ian Kinsler were separated at birth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frank Madden ‏@brewhoop

Def possible. Spurs might be best match. MT @stevenomes23: Any chance we can s&t ersan? I presume bucks are allowed to offer most $?
    From Bucks journalist, take it FWIW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Nets are still pursuing Bucks power forward Ersan Ilyasova, sources tell Y! Milwaukee has pushed to re-sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cannot imagine this kid going anywhere but back to the bucks...

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I watched his highlights on youtube, and the best thing he seems to be good at is a hook shot... in which case the best case scenario we can compare him to is the likes of a Pau Gasol. There is a reason the Lakers are trying to trade Pau Gasol, because that guy is mentally and physically soft.
    Pau Gasol is the reason Kobe Bryant has 5 rings instead of 3. I would be delighted if Lorbek turned out to be half of a Pau Gasol.

Now, if, lets say it was Kendrick Perkins instead of Diaw, I can guarantee he would try to slam it in, at least getting two attempts at the ft line
    Kendrick Perkins got his stuffed in during the finals.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ersan is the nets fallback plan if they dont get howard which it ooks like it wont happen
    i thought raptors would try to get him but they apparently will spend all their capspace to get steve nash and make sure no one else does

after those 2 teams im not sure who else would go for him hard except the bucks
    i think the mavs might be looking at him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have any idea what the Nets cap situation looks like after agreeing to resign DWill? With all the other FA signings they've done, not sure they could afford Ersan (assuming he still wants to get paid)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HoopsHype

Agent Tolga Tugsavul tells HoopsHype his client Ersan Ilyasova is seriously considering accepting "a big offer" from a European club. According to Tugsavul, the free agent forward has offers on the table from another two Euro teams plus three in the NBA - Toronto, Brooklyn and Milwaukee. Tugsavul says a decision is likely coming next week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have any idea what the Nets cap situation looks like after agreeing to resign DWill? With all the other FA signings they've done, not sure they could afford Ersan (assuming he still wants to get paid)
    They have no cap space. In fact, none of the business that Brooklyn has done has been transacted with cap space. Presumably they would acquire Ersan in a double S&T for Humphries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They signed Mirza Tetovic to the full MLE, and they got Reggie Evans in a sign and trade for a 2nd rounder and a trade exception. Aside from being capped out, now that they've got two PFs, I think it's safe to say that they're no longer in the market for Ilyasova.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ersan has already made it widely known pretty much that he is going to the highest bidder (whether in the NBA or in Europe) and minces no words about this being all about business to him.

Thread Information