Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Duncan is ready to take a paycut for his new contract, Ilyasova isn't that much of a reach.

The following scenario is CBA compliant:
    - Mills opt out.
    - Spurs don't do a QO to Green but keep their early bird rights on him.
    - Byars is cut.
    - Bonner is amnestied.
    - Blair and Joseph are salary dumped. Cash can even be included if needed.
    - Spurs re-sign Duncan to a $15M/3 years contract.
    - Spurs spend their cap-space on Ilyasova to sign him to a $31.5M/4 years contract.
    - Spurs use their room exception ($5.3M/2 years) on Lorbek.
    - Spurs re-sign Green with the early bird rights.
    - Spurs fill the rest of the roster with min salaries.

At the end Spurs rotation would be:
    Parker/Neal
    Ginobili/Green
    Leonard/Jackson
    Ilyasova/Lorbek
    Duncan/Splitter

It all hinges on what Duncan wants to do. But if I had to guess which aging star would be willing to take a pay cut for a chance at another championship, I think Duncan would be the prime candidate.

Minimum player possibilities would be guys like Dominic McGuire, Donte Greene, Sheldon Williams, Jared Jeffries, Sundiata Gaines, Hasheem Thabeet... all players with clear shortcomings of one sort or another, but all good risks for a minimum salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I imagine myself in his situation and after making all those millions at this point in my career I would do what ever it took to go out with another ring. As long as I new that Pop and RC were going to be able to get the players that I new would help us win a championship.

The question is how much better is he then Lobrek?

As far as contracts can you stagger the pay..1st year 3 mill/ 2nd. 7 mill/ 3rd 5 or 6mill?
    Last edited by BackHome; 06-11-2012 at 06:54 PM.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we don't know how good Lorbek could be.
    but Ilyasova averaged 15.5 PPG and 9.7 RPG over the last 3 months of the season. (41 games). do we see Lorbek do this? No.
    Ilyasova should be a bit better on offense and significantly better on the boards. let's guess that the best case scenario for Lorbek is 10 PPG and 6 RPG, that difference in production usually is payed by 2-3 times the money. so, if Lorbek is willing to play for 3 million, the 7-8 for Ilyasova are reasonable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anythings possible i guess, but I cannot see Erson not going back to the Bucks for the highest possible salary..SA is definately the hot bed for euro's right now though with there style of play.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's put things in perspective we got RJ from the Bucks and we all know how that turned out. Looking at his numbers he averaged 13pts a game and RJ averaged 9pts a game when he was with us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is about to get paid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what RJ said...lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd be a great fit. Unrealistic maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fred Kerber of the NY Post ‏@FredKerber
    #Nets one time high radar target Ersan Ilyasova drawing interest from Bucks, Cavs, Raptors, Spurs

If that's true ... that's verrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting.

How would the Spurs go after him? Gotta think he makes more than the MLE . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good find

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very interesting.

S&T seems the way to go. A package like Bonner + Neal + Byars + $3M in cash + first round pick for Ilyasova could be enough for Milwaukee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't really argue if the Spurs want to go all out for Ilyasova before going with Diaw/Lorbek. Ilyasova is an aggressive player who can hit threes and rebound at the power forward position. Those are so rare that the Spurs have to be intrigued.

Hopefully we hear more . . .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't really argue if the Spurs want to go all out for Ilyasova before going with Diaw/Lorbek. Ilyasova is an aggressive player who can hit threes and rebound at the power forward position. Those are so rare that the Spurs have to be intrigued.

Hopefully we hear more . . .
    If this happens then I see the Spurs bringing back George Hill with the MLE or at least most of it. I'd like to see us go after Courtney Lee instead, especially if the Rockets decide to tender an offer to Gordon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can this guy play

I always figured he was just a fantasy stat guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBATRKY.com ‏@nbatrky

Milwaukee Bucks temsilcimiz Ersan İlyasova'yı takımda tutmak istiyor.Ersan'ı takip eden diğer isimler Cavs ve Nets.

NBATRKY.com ‏@nbatrky

Temsilcimiz Ersan İlyasova'yı transfer listesine 2 takım daha ekledi bunlar :Indıana Pacers ve Utah Jazz.

--

Found this sounds like he might have interest from Jazz and Pacers as well

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Nice to see the Spurs have shown interest but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a long shot but would be awesone if Spurs could somehow pull off a S&T - hard to see a scenario where Bucks wouldn't want Splitter as they have log jam at 4, but definite hole at 5 - maybe could avoid including Splitter by giving up 1st round pick - Neal would hold value to Bucks as they could use outside shooting and of course Bonner would have to be in deal to make money work

In the end if Spurs could get right additional piece back I would pull the trigger even if it meant having to give up Splitter

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well the bucks have been making stupid trades
    and we actually do have some decent young pieces
    they could be interested in guys like splitter/green/pick
    a 2014 beyond pick for us could be a lottery pick which would intrigue teams even more

ilyasova can play, definitely not a stat padder
    the problem for the spurs is he said a while back that he would only play for whoever offered the most money
    whether its here or overseas

i see him going to the nets most likely
    he was dropping like 30/20s on the nets so they probably like his game more then most and would esaily overpay
    after that i see the craptors giving him 12 mil

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a long shot but would be awesone if Spurs could somehow pull off a S&T - hard to see a scenario where Bucks wouldn't want Splitter as they have log jam at 4, but definite hole at 5 - maybe could avoid including Splitter by giving up 1st round pick - Neal would hold value to Bucks as they could use outside shooting and of course Bonner would have to be in deal to make money work

In the end if Spurs could get right additional piece back I would pull the trigger even if it meant having to give up Splitter
    The pick would have to be in the 2014 draft, since CBA rules do not allow you to trade 1st round picks 2 years in a row (traded our 2012 pick to GS in the SJax trade).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is his defense? Can't say that I've watches many bucks games recently..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pick would have to be in the 2014 draft, since CBA rules do not allow you to trade 1st round picks 2 years in a row (traded our 2012 pick to GS in the SJax trade).
    The rule restricts trading first round picks in two consecutive future drafts. The Spurs can trade their 2013 first round pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asik set the market didn't he? Don't expect this guy to get less that 8m to start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really, really surprised to see the Jazz and Pacers interested in this guy...

not

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Duncan is ready to take a paycut for his new contract, Ilyasova isn't that much of a reach.

The following scenario is CBA compliant:
    - Mills opt out.
    - Spurs don't do a QO to Green but keep their early bird rights on him.
    - Byars is cut.
    - Bonner is amnestied.
    - Blair and Joseph are salary dumped. Cash can even be included if needed.
    - Spurs re-sign Duncan to a $15M/3 years contract.
    - Spurs spend their cap-space on Ilyasova to sign him to a $31.5M/4 years contract.
    - Spurs use their room exception ($5.3M/2 years) on Lorbek.
    - Spurs re-sign Green with the early bird rights.
    - Spurs fill the rest of the roster with min salaries.

At the end Spurs rotation would be:
    Parker/Neal
    Ginobili/Green
    Leonard/Jackson
    Ilyasova/Lorbek
    Duncan/Splitter
    I thought once you have the cap space you can't sign someone else to fill the cap space and then go back over the cap using early bird/Larry Bird exceptions? They assume if you have the cap space to sign the player then you should use it as that nullifies the need for the exceptions in the first place? I could be wrong.

EDIT: I probably explained that poorly, an example would be IF Dwight Howard was a free agent, and signed with the Nets filling the rest of their cap space without Deron Williams signed, they would have surrendered Derons bird rights as you can't sit on his bird exception and go fill that space with Howard to get you to the cap and then sign Deron over the cap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought once you have the cap space you can't sign someone else to fill the cap space and then go back over the cap using early bird/Larry Bird exceptions? They assume if you have the cap space to sign the player then you should use it as that nullifies the need for the exceptions in the first place? I could be wrong.

EDIT: I probably explained that poorly, an example would be IF Dwight Howard was a free agent, and signed with the Nets filling the rest of their cap space without Deron Williams signed, they would have surrendered Derons bird rights as you can't sit on his bird exception and go fill that space with Howard to get you to the cap and then sign Deron over the cap?
    It's all about the amount of the cap hold. In the scenario Bruno outlined, Green's small cap hold would not prevent the signings in his example. They could sign him to an amount larger than his cap hold once all other signings were complete.

Miami did that with Joel Anthony in 2010. His cap hold was around 1M. That was the amount that counted against the salary cap as they signed all the other players. Once they were done, they signed Anthony to a contract that started at more than 3M using his Bird rights.

In the Howard example you gave, Williams' cap hold is over 17M.

Thread Information