Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hate to swoop in in defense of CSucks, but though I saw it at the majestic in high school, my wife knew nothing about the story. In fact the first time I mentioned it she said "I think I recognize the name...". All that and I am the math/science/non-artsy person in the family.

This is where you say "our educational system sucks"
    I plan to be personally responsible for fixing it, so no, I wasn't going to say that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hate to swoop in in defense of CSucks, but though I saw it at the majestic in high school, my wife knew nothing about the story. In fact the first time I mentioned it she said "I think I recognize the name...". All that and I am the math/science/non-artsy person in the family.

This is where you say "our educational system sucks"
    LMAO. Now that's pretentious. You can't condemn the education system because everyone hasn't heard of Les Miserables. Plenty of other reasons though...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    LMAO. Now that's pretentious. You can't condemn the education system because everyone hasn't heard of Les Miserables. Plenty of other reasons though...
    That's fine, I don't care if you call me pretentious, though I disagree with you, but as summer said, its a pretty popular story. (pretentious would be me saying something like "les mis is soooooo overdone, I prefer my art to be a little less popular. Did you see the one man show where Lance Hartley cans his own feces. It really speaks to me about how much time we waste on this earth. but.... youve probably never heard of him"

Disclaimer in case you were wondering: I made all of that up, I hope that no such show exists.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's fine, I don't care if you call me pretentious, though I disagree with you, but as summer said, its a pretty popular story. (pretentious would be me saying something like "les mis is soooooo overdone, I prefer my art to be a little less popular. Did you see the one man show where Lance Hartley cans his own feces. It really speaks to me about how much time we waste on this earth. but.... youve probably never heard of him"

Disclaimer in case you were wondering: I made all of that up, I hope that no such show exists.
    Yeah...the better word was probably "presumptuous". Idk. There are so many classics that not everyone is going to have read or be familiar with all of them. I never had to read it. But since my parents were from the age where it was more widely read in school, I was aware of it. Never read it though.

And now you've made me waste my time Googling "Lance Hartley feces" to no avail.

EDIT: LMAO. I was so excited, that I couldn't get to the end of your post without looking for it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yeah...the better word was probably "presumptuous". Idk. There are so many classics that not everyone is going to have read or be familiar with all of them. I never had to read it. But since my parents were from the age where it was more widely read in school, I was aware of it. Never read it though.

And now you've made me waste my time Googling "Lance Hartley feces" to no avail.

EDIT: LMAO. I was so excited, that I couldn't get to the end of your post without looking for it.
    I just literally laughed out loud. Awesome that I got you to do it. I wanted to make sure the name didn't sound made up. Good job to me. I hope your results werent' too disgusting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just literally laughed out loud. Awesome that I got you to do it. I wanted to make sure the name didn't sound made up. Good job to me. I hope your results werent' too disgusting.
    It was a 50/50 mix of scientific links about feces and social network pages for people named Lance Hartley.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm going to go the extra step in pretension: I'm going to read the unabridged version, maybe in French, then when the movie comes out I'll complain about how the book was soooo much better.
    if it's anything like the unabridged version of Hunchback, there may be a 40 page diatribe about the architecture of Paris and its beauty.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    if it's anything like the unabridged version of Hunchback, there may be a 40 page diatribe about the architecture of Paris and its beauty.
    , was that book written by Steinbeck? I swear the first 100 pages were to describe that damn valley in california before even introducing the first character.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    , was that book written by Steinbeck? I swear the first 100 pages were to describe that damn valley in california before even introducing the first character.
    heh, it was written by the author of Les Miserables

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    heh, it was written by the author of Les Miserables
    Well, that right there kills any claims to being pretentious that I have. LOL

I knew it wasn't written by Steinbeck, but didn't know it was written by Hugo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    My turn to be pretentious! I saw the musical on Broadway in the early 90s and it was fantastic! I'm pretty stoked about it being recreated on film.
    My wife and I saw it on stage in London back in 2005. We went and saw it again here in January at the Majestic. Absolutely love the music, and I am not even a huge musical fan, I just think this one is exceptional.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Meant to add...I have been looking forward to this film for a while.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Absolutely love the music, and I am not even a huge musical fan, I just think this one is exceptional.
    This. I pretty much can't stand most musicals, but the music for this one has always been amazing. It just fits so perfectly with the production.

As I (and others here) have stated before, I'm glad the music is back for this version--although I do think the cast was exceptional for the nonmusical one--especially Geoffrey Rush as Javert. Uma Thurman was a good Fantine too, imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Absolutely masterful...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    This. I pretty much can't stand most musicals, but the music for this one has always been amazing. It just fits so perfectly with the production.

As I (and others here) have stated before, I'm glad the music is back for this version--although I do think the cast was exceptional for the nonmusical one--especially Geoffrey Rush as Javert. Uma Thurman was a good Fantine too, imo
    Yea, same here...I have tried to like other musicals, and I just cant...this one is like in an entirely new class...something about it never gets old to me. Now that I read this thread, Im stuck on youtube listening to the music again....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Absolutely masterful...
    So good! This is the big tear-jerker for me:

And I love the duet:

Thread Information