Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    a physical examination probably wont return anything but 99% of 4-year-olds will be able to tell/show exactly what happened
    This isn't necessarily true. I'm assuming the 99% is an exaggeration. But in any event, the incident may not have yet got to the point that the 4 year old had any clue of anything. The dad may have recognized the attack before it really got serious.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no, it's not an exaggeration. forensic interviewers are very skilled in talking to children and getting the appropriate information on sexual assault cases. normally functioning 4 year olds will be able to tell you exactly what happened if you ask the right questions. if the child indicates that they she was innapropriately touched in any way then this case will be open and shut.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no, it's not an exaggeration. forensic interviewers are very skilled in talking to children and getting the appropriate information on sexual assault cases. normally functioning 4 year olds will be able to tell you exactly what happened if you ask the right questions. if the child indicates that they she was innapropriately touched in any way then this case will be open and shut.
    Sorry, I still disagree with your statistics. Can you provide some backup to the 99%? What is your definition of "normally functioning"? You're changing the argument here.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Well, I'm sure it can go both ways. you can possiblyto guide children to give false testimony if you ask the "right questions" in cases of child molestation.

I actually remember watching a Dateline (or 20/20?) special where they showed a video of investigators interrogating a small child about possibly being molested. They brought a doll and lead her on with questions that eventually led the child to say she was touched, even though it wasn't. ThiI wouldn't rely on the testimony of a child that small to get a definitive answer on what happened. We'll probably never really know.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sorry, I still disagree with your statistics. Can you provide some backup to the 99%? What is your definition of "normally functioning"? You're changing the argument here.
    well first off it's part of my job, I have experience with it. second of all, I am not changing the argument, I'm just bringing my professional experience into the thread. If I can find any study's or statistical proof to back up my claim i'll post it. By "normally functioning" I mean "developementally on-target" for that age.

Well, I'm sure it can go both ways. you can possiblyto guide children to give false testimony if you ask the "right questions" in cases of child molestation.

I actually remember watching a Dateline (or 20/20?) special where they showed a video of investigators interrogating a small child about possibly being molested. They brought a doll and lead her on with questions that eventually led the child to say she was touched, even though it wasn't. ThiI wouldn't rely on the testimony of a child that small to get a definitive answer on what happened. We'll probably never really know.
    I know the interview you are talking about and it is from a while ago, it is now used as an example of how NOT to conduct a child interview. no leading questions, no closed ended questions.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This isn't necessarily true. I'm assuming the 99% is an exaggeration. But in any event, the incident may not have yet got to the point that the 4 year old had any clue of anything. The dad may have recognized the attack before it really got serious.
    It's not in the article in the OP, but on another news site I read that the father was alerted to the situation by the little girl's screams. If the kid was screaming, she pretty well knew something bad was happening.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    well first off it's part of my job, I have experience with it. second of all, I am not changing the argument, I'm just bringing my professional experience into the thread. If I can find any study's or statistical proof to back up my claim i'll post it. By "normally functioning" I mean "developementally on-target" for that age.
    If it's part of your job, you should know not to throw around the "99%" as frivolously as you did and later claim it as fact. Wouldn't it have just been easier for your to say, "Yeah, it was an exaggeration. But it's an overwhelming majority". Something like that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    DISTRUSTING YOUNG CHILDREN WHO ALLEGE SEXUAL
    ABUSE: WHY STEREOTYPES DON’T DIE AND WAYS TO
    FACILITATE CHILD TESTIMONY

"While child-friendly oaths, remote testimony, shielding or rearranging the
    courtroom can assist children in testifying more effectively, testimony is the
    last step in the process. The first steps begin with appropriate forensic
    interviewing protocols and corroboration of disclosures, followed by positive
    interaction with professionals. Only when the public understands that
    attention is being given to reducing suggestive questioning, and jurors can
    evaluate forensic videotapes of child witnesses for themselves, will negative
    stereotyping of child testimony lessen. Psychologists can provide valuable
    insights about how to lessen suggestivity, decrease false denials and
    recantations, and increase true disclosures, but must realize that their studies
    need to be relevant to the courtroom."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If it's part of your job, you should know not to throw around the "99%" as frivolously as you did and later claim it as fact. Wouldn't it have just been easier for your to say, "Yeah, it was an exaggeration. But it's an overwhelming majority". Something like that.
    I haven't run across any 4 year olds who weren't communicative enough to tell me what happened so I could have put 100%. I put 99% to account for margin of error. why are you being a about this? do you have kids? If you did, you'd know that 4 year olds are smart as .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    same article as above: "....it has also been found
    that children from three to five years old have significant developmental
    difficulty in successfully lying and cannot easily maintain deception when
    asked for explanations."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I haven't run across any 4 year olds who weren't communicative enough to tell me what happened so I could have put 100%. I put 99% to account for margin of error. why are you being a about this? do you have kids? If you did, you'd know that 4 year olds are smart as .
    I'm not being a "t*&t". I agree that an overwhelming majority can tell the truth. All I said was that your "99%" was an exaggeration and you denied it. So you're stating it as fact but have nothing to back it up other than "I haven't run across any 4 years olds...". It it so hard to admit you're wrong?

same article as above: "....it has also been found
    that children from three to five years old have significant developmental
    difficulty in successfully lying and cannot easily maintain deception when
    asked for explanations."
    Again, all we're debating is your "99%" figure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    prove that I'm wrong

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you're not finding any articles that say an exact percentage of 4 year olds can or cannot give reliable testimony on sex abuse cases. I'm relying on real-life experience - what are you relying on?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    prove that I'm wrong
    I don't have to. You've pretty much confirmed it for me. There is a 100% chance that you were exaggerating.

In the future, I'll remember you can't admit you're wrong and I'll keep a large bag of salt handy when reading your posts.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    looks like this dude is getting prosecuted.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't have to. You've pretty much confirmed it for me. There is a 100% chance that you were exaggerating.

In the future, I'll remember you can't admit you're wrong and I'll keep a large bag of salt handy when reading your posts.
    ok, when you've proven me wrong, let me know. You want to give up so easily then that's you're own admission of not knowing what you're talking about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ok, when you've proven me wrong, let me know. You want to give up so easily then that's you're own admission of not knowing what you're talking about.
    You must be trolling. Do you really think the burden of proof falls on me for something you're presenting as a statistical fact?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    he is?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You must be trolling. Do you really think the burden of proof falls on me for something you're presenting as a statistical fact?
    Do you know what you're talking about? Have you ever interviewed a 4 year old? No? No? Then you must not know what you're talking about when you tell me, an expert on the subject, that I'M wrong.

Run along little kid, you've been outed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Do you know what you're talking about? Have you ever interviewed a 4 year old? No? No? Then you must not know what you're talking about when you tell me, an expert on the subject, that I'M wrong.

Run along little kid, you've been outed.
    Your generalizations are probably correct. But your statistic of "99% of 4 years-olds" is pretty dubious to say the least.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hasn't gone to the Grand Jury yet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is from the LA times

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,5906401.story

Harmon told KPRC that the victim was an acquaintance of the girl's father who came to the barn near Shiner, a town about 130 miles west of Houston, on Saturday to help care for some horses.

The adults were shoeing a horse and had sent the 4-year-old and her brother to feed chickens when the attack occurred, a relative told KPRC.

The children's grandfather said the boy returned to alert his father that the little girl had been taken away by a man. The father found the pair partially naked, investigators told KPRC.
    Pretty condemning if it's true.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Your generalizations are probably correct. But your statistic of "99% of 4 years-olds" is pretty dubious to say the least.
    explain the dubiousness of it... how many 4 year olds have you met/talked to? your purported knowledge on the subject is dubious to say the least. Are you even close to knowledgeable enough on psychosocial behaviors of 4 year olds to call anyone out?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    explain the dubiousness of it... how many 4 year olds have you met/talked to? your purported knowledge on the subject is dubious to say the least. Are you even close to knowledgeable enough on psychosocial behaviors of 4 year olds to call anyone out?
    Re fight!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you work early childhood development in austin?

my fiancee works for easter seals

Thread Information