Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Well, the well head is not always over the place that is getting fracked.

The places where the seepage might be occurring are often many miles away from the wellhead.
    Agreed.

"The potential for problems may be larger simply because your bore-length is much longer than a vertical plot."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I'm not in support of ing up aquifers at all so I hope its clean but generally the little research I've seen shows that there is a lot of knee jerk reaction against fracking. I compare it to how people hate GMO's without understanding that they may not all be bad for you at all.
    No...I don't want any pollution of aquifers either. I also don't want any pollution of the air or oceans etc. I realize my car pollutes the air and flushing dead batteries down the toilet probably messes something up. But it's too inefficient to do otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Polluting aquifers is far worse than the air, ocean, or any other medium I can think of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Polluting aquifers is far worse than the air, ocean, or any other medium I can think of.
    why come?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aquifers are a confined space that we can't really clean. Air and water pollution is typically dispersed while if you put into a ground water supply it sits there and moves slow as . The slow movement is good in that the initial contamination is contained but we just don't know much about how GW moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/718/

for anyone interested. the real question is "how likely are they to leak ?".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's interesting that people that are concerned with the possibilities of stem cell research are okay with this. Seems the same decision calculus is not used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's interesting that people that are concerned with the possibilities of stem cell research are okay with this. Seems the same decision calculus is not used.
    true and, for such individuals, i'm not sure what ethical guidelines sway their positions on environmental concerns because, as you pointed out, they do seem to be diametrically opposed to the ones that sway their beliefs on biomedical research.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because, in horizontal drilling, the well head is not over the place you are cracking the rock, goober. Look at any good diagram of this, and you can easily see why.
    Thanks! Didn't know that. *continues developing drilling prospects for HORIZONTAL WELLS*

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's sure destroyed the dove hunting at my dad's place outside of Three Rivers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For a year (with extensions), North Dakota allows drillers to burn gas, just let it flare. There are now so many gas wells burning fires in the North Dakota night, the fracking fields can be seen from deep space.

Natural Resources Defense Council, every day drillers in North Dakota "burn off enough gas to heat half a million homes."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/20...cc=es-20130120

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pennsylvania Court Deals Blow to Secrecy-Obsessed Fracking Industry: Corporations Not The Same As Persons With Privacy Rights

A Pennsylvania judge in the heart of the Keystone State’s fracking belt has issued a forceful and precedent-setting decision holding that there is no corporate right to privacy under that state’s cons ution, giving citizens and journalists a powerful tool to understand the health and environmental impacts of natural gas drilling in their communities.

“Whether a right of privacy for businesses exists within the prenumbral rights of Pennsylvania’s cons ution is a matter of first impression,” wrote Washington County Court of Common Pleas Judge Debbie O’Dell Seneca late last month. “It does not.”

Judge O’Dell Seneca’s ruling comes in an ongoing case where several newspapers sued to unseal a confidential settlement where major fracking corporations paid $750,000 to a family that claimed the gas drilling had contaminated their water and harmed their health. The Court ordered that settlement unsealed, enabling the papers, environmentalists and community rights advocates to examine the health issues and causes.

http://www.alternet.org/fracking/pen...tions-not-same

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "The Court’s ruling is significant because the fracking companies have relied on secrecy agreements with landowners to hide the environmental and health impacts of gas drilling. "
    lol hide.
    lol alternet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This planet is ed.

Believe.
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    Some places fracking is safer than others. They've been fracking for 70 years out in west texas. Now some places in Pennsylvania it may be a little iffy but I'm no geologist. Much shallower wells back there. Not all formation depths are the same or production zones. This stuff in Eagle Ford is around 13-14 thousand feet I believe. Well below the aquifer.

Believe.
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count

All new fields they have to burn off the gas till they get the facilities and pipelines built. My son works up there and he says they're building pipelines all over the place.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    This planet is ed.
    No, the planet will do just fine. If we scratch Mother Earth enough, she will smite us. She will do just fine. It is us that is ed if something happens. She will recover.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? No way dude, my dad has been having really bad sinus problems for a while and our doctor specifically told him that it was probably the fracking and that it was causing a lot of people around here health problems. He said that it was accepted amongst doctors but not yet challenged or proven by studies that the fracking caused health problems and that technically he really wasn't supposed to even be telling it to his patients.
    Sir just take care of yourself and get that shut down. Chesapeake is so effin greedy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Virtually certain that some aquifer will eventaully be tainted, and there is some indications taht this has already happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some places fracking is safer than others. They've been fracking for 70 years out in west texas. Now some places in Pennsylvania it may be a little iffy but I'm no geologist. Much shallower wells back there. Not all formation depths are the same or production zones. This stuff in Eagle Ford is around 13-14 thousand feet I believe. Well below the aquifer.
    Fracking is cracking strata that far down allowing gas to percolate *up* through the new fissures created.

Don't thienk the fluids used will mess up aquifers, but the different pockets of various gases will. This is what I think is happenign now in a few places based on reports we do have.

Time will tell, wht the ultimate results of all this will be, but w are rushign headlong into widespread use of this before we have a lot of good data on what exactly happens when you do this on a widespread area.

IF I was drawing water from underground wells, I would sure be testing my water on a monthly basis.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Energy Companies taking advantage of Amish, their religion does not allow for lawsuits:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...tion-lawsuits#

thx symple, i'm a dope.
    Last edited by leemajors; 06-11-2013 at 03:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Energy Companies taking advantage of Amish, their religion does not allow for lawsuits:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/44...eader-shutdown
    Wrong link, dude

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how deep are the holes for the waste water?

same depth as the extraction holes?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Some places fracking is safer than others.
    That's like saying some of the Nazi concentration camps were not as bad as others.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Last edited by mouse; 06-11-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Thread Information