Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then again, Toronto has the dumbest front office in the NBA.

"Look smart look smart look smart look sm....HEY A BUTTERFLY!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but Landry Fields is a special situation where Toronto is trying to give NY a poison pill as part of a master plan to sign Nash.
    Yeah, let's hope that's all it is. Otherwise, if players like Fields are worth $6.7M, Green for $4.5 to $5M doesn't sound to outrageous.

Ferry's probably the greatest worry at the moment with the cap space he has cleared and becoming a darkhorse for Howard (who he would promptly want to surround with as many shooters as possible).
    I don't think Ferry is a threat. He's going to keep as much cap space open as possible and go for the ultimate home run of Howard and another max player (CP3?).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The statistics tell us, at some point in time, Green was going to experience a dry spell. If we chalk up his Western Conference Finals struggles to inevitable regression, the positives on the rest of Green’s resume are difficult to ignore."

There's no such thing as inevitable regression when you're being left wide open over and over and over and play with the best passing offense in the League. This team was something special offensively and many trends simply do not apply in last year's Spurs' case, IMHO.

The pressure hit, and Green folded. And not just his shot. He was sent to school defensively, as well, mostly by RWB. That's why Pop benched him - his entire game was affected because he completely lost his confidence, something that never bodes well when you're being left open every time.

Besides, this team is built around basically never having a regression to mean unless a team focuses on taking that particular piece out of the puzzle at the cost of leaving others open or lanes to drive. Although Bonner is obviously at fault as well, Green played a big role all season but absolutely choked on the pressure of the WCFs. He possibly played the role of biggest roleplayer culprit as to who cost the Spurs the Thunder series by not simply doing what he had done all season, which was play smart and heady defense, and knock in your 3 pointers off ball movement. I saw a few moves from him during the WCFs I hadn't seen him pull off successfully all season ... he just totally lost himself out there.

He probably comes back but I could care less if he does, tbh, because he cannot be depended upon to play a big role on either end once the pressure increases into playoff mode. It'd be nice if his defensive intensity had improved as his shot failed or something, anything to show he was fighting hard, but everything just fell off a cliff and you could see how nervous he was in his eyes. Very disheartening and frustrating. I know one will argue about his Player pairing defensive numbers or whatever but one needs only the eye test and the fact he never took RWB out of his comfort zone to know he was frustrated on both ends.
    Last edited by z0sa; 07-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What should help Spurs is that Green is saying he wants to stay in SA. I guess he likely will give Spurs the chance to give him a similar contract before signing an unmatchable offer sheet.
    Good to know, I had not heard that. Link? Not hard to believe either way.

Hopefully this game of chicken will end soon, if that is what is happening. I suspect the Spurs are in fine shape with Green, and are more concerned with Lorbek/Diaw/De Colo and whatever halfway decent shot blocking big we can bring into the fold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good to know, I had not heard that. Link? Not hard to believe either way.
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...e-agent-green/

“I really do like San Antonio,” Green said. “Hopefully, they have faith in me and will do what they need to do to bring me back.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks and good to know. Here is another quote I like a lot:

Green says more is at stake for him than just the number of figures on his next paycheck.

“A lot of young guys are just looking for the money,” said Green, who won a national championship at North Carolina in 2009. “For me, it’s a balance of the money, the team, the fit. I’ve been in a winning organization my whole life. I want to continue to be on a winning team.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After being eliminated, green tweeted that he realized he really let the spurs down by missing shots, and really wants the spurs to bring back the entire team to make another le run.

But....money talks.

I can't even begin to fathom the bad rotation the team will be stuck with, if we lose green.

Freaking knew all that talk about the new CBA bringing player contracts down would be bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what? Even if Green gets a higher offer, the spurs should match anyways

1) its not like this team has not overpaid worse talent,( effing Bonner)
    2) the roster hole will be scary scary
    3) does the front office really need as much free space as possible? Duncan has intimated he will be flexible, and if the spurs have space to throwat a higher level FA on the future, the spurs will more than likely overpay someone else

Danny deserves what his market value is. Had he sunk a few more shots against okc, then chilled off against Miami, he'd be getting even sicker offers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the CBA will always mean when it comes to stupid owners throwing around bad contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what? Even if Green gets a higher offer, the spurs should match anyways

1) its not like this team has not overpaid worse talent,( effing Bonner)
    2) the roster hole will be scary scary
    3) does the front office really need as much free space as possible? Duncan has intimated he will be flexible, and if the spurs have space to throwat a higher level FA on the future, the spurs will more than likely overpay someone else

Danny deserves what his market value is. Had he sunk a few more shots against okc, then chilled off against Miami, he'd be getting even sicker offers
    The issue really is not what the Spurs can afford/want to pay, it's that if he signs an offer sheet that in year one is worth more than 5.1M, the Spurs cannot match it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue really is not what the Spurs can afford/want to pay, it's that if he signs an offer sheet that in year one is worth more than 5.1M, the Spurs cannot match it.
    Yep, match up to 5.1, because that's what the CBA will let you. But don't start bidding against yourself... no need to run up the price any higher than market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to me, Danny Green = Brandon Rush, and Brandon Rush is cheaper, so if we loosing Green we could replace him with Rush!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the way it works its that if he gets offered more than that, he's gone?
    We aren't allowed to resign him or offer a new contract?

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the way it works its that if he gets offered more than that, he's gone?
    We aren't allowed to resign him or offer a new contract?
    If he signs any deal for less than that - we can match and keep him.

If he SIGNS any deal for more than that, he's gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah okay. Well hopefully the spurs hook him up with a contract towards the max we can give, if that's what it takes. Its easy to forget how well appreciated he was for most of the season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really doubt a team will pony up the cap space for Green. I think we are sitting fine with him, and of course no state income tax in Texas. ;-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, let's hope that's all it is. Otherwise, if players like Fields are worth $6.7M, Green for $4.5 to $5M doesn't sound to outrageous.
    This kind of crap is what skews the perceived market value of some players and floods the market with players who are overpaid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed 100%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs can afford to lose Danny Green, they cannot afford to lose Tim tough. Not saying it is not important to resign him but it's not like it would mean the end of the franchise.

Our chance for a le next year is 3% by Timvp estimation with him, 2% without him ? Our chance to have a solid year 50 RS wins is what 60% with him ? 50% without him ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be worried about that; K-State Spur has got it right.

Good work; I echo your sentiments. If Green does get a 3-4 year offer sheet for $5M annually, I'd probably match that too. Sure, it's an overpayment, but do they really want to lose him because he makes what, a million more annually than they'd prefer? The goal is still contending for the next probably two seasons and as you alluded to, they'd be hard pressed to do so without him. Also, if he repeats the season he just had -- even if his 3pt% drops to about 40 --, it's not like that contract would be an albatross.

But what they should do is offer slightly more than they'd probably prefer right now, such as $10-12M over three years as opposed to $9M and hope he takes it. I'd rather they do that than risk someone offer sheeting him for the full MLE.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With KG taking around 10 mill per year, I don't see Duncan being valued at that much more, I know he was willing to sign for less to get players in the past so the spurs will probably pay him a little more now, but this is probably around 2 mill less than speculation was pre-off season.

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could use the same argument on Green's shooting slump for Bonner and we all know that is not the case. However offense aside I also see Green's value on the defensive end and I would hate to lose this guy. I remember he did fantastic defensive stints against nash, paul, and several others where his length and height caused problems. We got to keep him at least to see if he can come around on our next playoff go round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was part of the Chris Paul Defensive Committee and look what happened. Bad shooting, not going for more than 5 shot attempts until Game 4, turnovers all over.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta tell you, that last bit I bolded, is utterly wrong benefactor...

The only way we keep the window open a crack is to improve our bigs. If we spend part of the MLE on a replacement for Danny Green, we can't improve our frontline with that money. That makes re-singing Danny one of several interlinked key steps to having a shot.
    Hmm...I think you misunderstood me. I am for retaining Green and not using the exceptions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, I PM'd you about this...FYI.

Thread Information