Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pressure hit, and Green folded. And not just his shot. He was sent to school defensively, as well, mostly by RWB. That's why Pop benched him - his entire game was affected because he completely lost his confidence, something that never bodes well when you're being left open every time.
    He's young. Other players have learned how to keep their shooting percentage from affecting their effort in other parts of the game, and there's no reason to assume Danny can't. He's smart, and he's not selfish -- and both of those help as well.

If we dumped players every time they choked in a series, Horry would have been gone after 2004. Green's body of work in the first two series merits giving him another chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, George Hill is the latest to get overpaid, securing a 5yr/40M extension to stay with the Pacers.

So...

Is it time to call Green's agent and offer an MLE-sized deal now or do we wait it out and hope that the stupid money evaporates from the market before someone offers Danny a contract we can't match?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well all these insane contracts have screwed us over. Owners deserved a hard cap after seeing this .

I have no idea how the Spurs are supposed to sign anybody with these crazy offers being thrown around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, George Hill is the latest to get overpaid, securing a 5yr/40M extension to stay with the Pacers.

So...

Is it time to call Green's agent and offer an MLE-sized deal now or do we wait it out and hope that the stupid money evaporates from the market before someone offers Danny a contract we can't match?
    "We" do neither. What they should do is offer him 2/$8M or 3/$12M. He might accept either (the value to the former is that, if he can duplicate or exceed what he did last season, then he's locked in for less term under market value), because, as you alluded to, if he waits too long, money/positions begin to dry up and he could risk being left having to accept something like 2/$6M or 3/$9M from the Spurs, or -- if he finds that unacceptable -- accepting his qualifying offer and hoping to cash in next season, when he'll be unrestricted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We" do neither.

What they should do is offer him 2/$8M or 3/$12M. He might accept either (the value to the former is that, if he can duplicate or exceed what he did last season, then he's locked in for less term under market value), because, as you alluded to, if he waits too long, money/positions begin to dry up and he could risk being left having to accept something like 2/$6M or 3/$9M from the Spurs, or -- if he finds that unacceptable -- accepting his qualifying offer and hoping to cash in next season, when he'll be unrestricted.
    I agree with your call for a proactive approach. I believe it gives us the greatest chance for success.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    The issue really is not what the Spurs can afford/want to pay, it's that if he signs an offer sheet that in year one is worth more than 5.1M, the Spurs cannot match it.
    At that price, I'm not sure they'd want to. OTOH, if a team tried to front load it, say 5.5/3/3 Danny would probably bring it to the Spurs to see if they would do that deal evenly spread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At that price, I'm not sure they'd want to. OTOH, if a team tried to front load it, say 5.5/3/3 Danny would probably bring it to the Spurs to see if they would do that deal evenly spread.
    Not possible under the CBA.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Not possible under the CBA.
    The concept, or the amounts I used?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The concept, or the amounts I used?
    Maximum year to year decreases are limited in the same way as maximum year to year increases in a free agent contract. So 4.5% per year up or down for a team signing another team's free agent.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see Danny Ferry offering a contract. However he seems to be busier with bigger issues right now than what to do about Danny Green. I don't think Danny Green is considered to be on the same level as George Hill, probably based on exposure and reputation more than anything else. I still think the right move is to wait and see a little longer with what happens with the big men. A gamble, but winning a le is a long shot and the Spurs need all the best players they can get and that will take winning some rolls of the dice in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, when I began this exercise, I was hesitant for the Spurs to give Green much more than $3 million per season. Now, I’ve already talked myself into $4 million. Depending on how the market shakes out for other shooting guards this summer, I might go even higher.
    Props to the Spurs for not letting the market shake out. And thanks to Danny Green for not holding out for every last possible dime.

Welcome back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp - great call on this. This really was an excellent thread. I am a big fan of Danny - not just his skill set, but I like his intangibles. He has had struggles, but when you play sports, you see things in guys sometimes that are more of a softer science - IMO Danny has the makings of a really solid rotational player for years to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And not just because he talks to me on Twitter

Audie=GOAT human MarioSpeedwagon's Avatar
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Maximum year to year decreases are limited in the same way as maximum year to year increases in a free agent contract. So 4.5% per year up or down for a team signing another team's free agent.
    jeremy lin says hi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Lin was a special case. Houston used a loophole to offer him an evenly spread deal that the Knicks would have to back load to fit in their cap. They'd be allowed to do so under the Gilbert Arenas rule, but it would butt them on the tax in year 3.

Houston 8.3/8.3/8.3
    NYK 5/5/15

As you can see, the back loaded deal would be for the NYK to re-sign their own FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lin was a special case. Houston used a loophole to offer him an evenly spread deal that the Knicks would have to back load to fit in their cap. They'd be allowed to do so under the Gilbert Arenas rule, but it would butt them on the tax in year 3.

Houston 8.3/8.3/8.3
    NYK 5/5/15

As you can see, the back loaded deal would be for the NYK to re-sign their own FA.

You're off on the mechanics of the Arenas rule. Check the link.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He actually RT'd me.

So, I'm on board w/ tha mutha a.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green is a scrub and will always be a scrub.

Thread Information