My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread delivers.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are not a running team. You don't know running teams if you think the Spurs are a running team. the Spurs back in the 1970s were a running team.

They are a spot up shooting team with excellent 3 point shooters. Have excellent ball movement passing around the perimeter finding open looks.

The Spurs don't have enough athleticism to be a running team. They don't have enough finishers.
    I hate bigmen they're boring, now I hate the Spurs cuz they don't got bigmen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like they might get Grant Hill as well. Last year Kobe couldn't get easy shots. Now he has a guy that can get him the balk without him having to work so hard.

Nash will also make the bigs better.

Defense will be an issue, but less so with Laker bigs being top notch shot blockers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like they might get Grant Hill as well. Last year Kobe couldn't get easy shots. Now he has a guy that can get him the balk without him having to work so hard.

Nash will also make the bigs better.

Defense will be an issue, but less so with Laker bigs being top notch shot blockers.
    Yeah, instead of working a little harder on offense, he'll now have to work EXTRA harder on defense to guard the guy who will run by Nash each and every time out.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people even bother with rascal anymore? Just give him a "Shut up, got" and move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio will have absolutely no chance to defend the Lakers now. Zero.

How the did you get a black name? Nash cant play 25 mins anymore. WTF Parker will kill him on every drive. If the Laker rotate it will be on a big stick not the court.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Since when did Nash become a capable defender?
    Exactly. He wasn't even a capable defender 10 years ago. I still watch the game six 4th quarter from the 2003 Mavs series with joy, as Nash repeatedly came off Kerr and allowed him to go off.

Part of what makes Nash the offensive force that he is is his constant probing and looking for mismatches in the half court, dribbling back and forth along the baseline behind the backboard.. Does anyone really think Kobe is going to allow him to handle the ball for 18 second per possession?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At some point, Nash's wheels are going to fall off, right? He seems overdue. A gamble on LA's part, but I guess if they can win with a stiff like Fisher, Nash might fit the bill.
    I guess Kobe can get back to concentrating 100% on chucking...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capable team defender.

You know, like how Larry Bird was a house defender but good in a team situation.

Nash and good defender are not not ever have been in the same sentence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great addition to the Lakers tbh, Nash doesn't need to score any more, and can get open shots for others. To those saying Nash doesn't play defense, that is true, but it won't hurt the Lakers much at all with their length inside.

Great grab by the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad trade for the lakers they traded there 2013 and 2015 first-round picks and 2013 and 2014 second-round picks for a 38 year old point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nash is Bruce Bowen compared to Ramon Sessions. Nash, as MI21 said, has morphed into a pretty good team defender. He is always near the top in the league in charges drawn and his rotations have come a long, long, long way is the last half decade. His ability to draw offensive fouls, cut off driving angles and rotate properly make him almost average on defense overall. Not quite but pretty damn close and a much better defender than someone like Sessions.

The Lakers got much better with this trade. Nash will make sure their bigs get touches and will probably allow Kobe to conserve energy to become a force in the second half of games. It will also allow them to do away with the weak version of the triangle offense that they used last year.

L.A.'s ceiling is pretty damn high. Way higher than the Spurs' ceiling, tbh.

The two things the Spurs have to hope for are:

1. The Lakers don't blend well. Maybe Kobe bristles at not being able to dominate the ball. Maybe Bynum won't want to expend the energy it takes to be a pick-and-roll bigman.

2. Mike Brown might run the team into the ground in the regular season. Brown played Kobe way too much last year ... and Bynum too for that matter. If Brown doesn't conserve Nash, Nash could easily break down.

To go along with No. 2, Nash is pretty damn old. Add to that the fact that he's leaving Phoenix's legendary training staff and I have my doubts he can stay healthy and playing at a high level.

But if he does, they could become a monster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sessions has not resigned yet
    great move if sessions resigns and is happy coming off bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sessions has not resigned yet
    great move if sessions resigns and is happy coming off bench
    They won't bring back Sessions now. They have 3 PGs under contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. The Lakers don't blend well.
    Outside of injury, this the biggest obstacle for the Lakers. With Pau, Kobe, Bynum, and MWP, they have personalities that range from fragile to crazy. Mike Brown hasn't shown the ability to meld that bunch into a cohesive unit that plays for one another. If Nash can improve the team chemistry, then they will be much improved.

Even in that case, I still see OKC as the class of the conference.
    Last edited by Mel_13; 07-05-2012 at 12:21 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont understand though: how is Steve Nash gonna pass Kobe the rock when Kobes already got it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Nash on Lakers is ing stupid, now they're gonna get burned even worse by Westbrook,Paul, Parker & Lawson, smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the did you get a black name? Nash cant play 25 mins anymore. WTF Parker will kill him on every drive. If the Laker rotate it will be on a big stick not the court.

Probably something to do with my being a member of the site since 2002 and having very good knowledge of basketball, tbh. I don't post a lot, but I know my .

Nash can't play 25MPG? He played 31MPG last season in a game style that is a bit more tiring than the way LA play. Yes Tony Parker will kill him on every drive. Much like has with every other Laker PG ever. Problem is this time, that PG can make him pay on the other end. Steve Nash shooting open 3's is not something I want to see.

Nash and good defender are not not ever have been in the same sentence.
    Agreed. I said capable team defender. Once again, capable. I'm not trying to say the guy is Gary Payton or Lindsay Hunter, he is most definitely below average in man-to-man situations. But team wise, he is no liability.

Nash is Bruce Bowen compared to Ramon Sessions. Nash, as MI21 said, has morphed into a pretty good team defender. He is always near the top in the league in charges drawn and his rotations have come a long, long, long way is the last half decade. His ability to draw offensive fouls, cut off driving angles and rotate properly make him almost average on defense overall. Not quite but pretty damn close and a much better defender than someone like Sessions.
    Thank you.

I expect the masses to all of a sudden change there tune because timvp has chimed in with his knowledgable and accurate take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of injury, this the biggest obstacle for the Lakers. With Pau, Kobe, Bynum, and MWP, they have personalities that range from fragile to crazy. Mike Brown hasn't shown the ability to meld that bunch into a a cohesive unit that plays for another. If Nash can improve the team chemistry, then they will be much improved.

Even in that case, I still see OKC as the class of the conference.
    Yeah, I agree with this.

If Phil Jackson was still coach, this team could be pretty amazing. As it stands now though, until I see it on the court, I gotta go with OKC above them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ehhh, it's not a terrible signing or anything like that, but it still doesn't answer a lot of needs the Lakers had... they got roasted on the perimeter and their pick and roll defense was atrocious throughout. Denver and OKC also had success pushing the pace and running the ball against them. Sessions provided much needed penetration for them, but he was just burned on individual defense.

Nash doesn't really address any of that. Not even sold he would be bringing much leadership, which they lost when Fish went away. Nash does address the 3 point shooting situation for them. I also think Mik Brwn will be a detriment. If you look at Nash's minutes last season, you'll see he averaged 31 mpg, but at the very end of the season he had a tough time staying on the floor, and this was on a shortened season. If the Lakeshow doesn't start on a good winning streak, I can see Brown running them to the ground.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nash is definitely an improvement for them, however I'm not sure if his presence vaults them above the Spurs. Definitely doesn't put them above OKC.

The Lakers bench is still suspect unless they unload Gasol for a handful of good role players. Match that with the age of Kobe, Nash, and even Artest and Gasol at this point, your going to be putting a lot of minutes on 4 guys the wrong side of 30. Also as MEL_13 pointed out, you've got a wide range of personalities. Bynum especially has been inconsistent (though that may change with someone other than Kobe running the offense).

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Lakers got much better with this trade. Nash will make sure their bigs get touches and will probably allow Kobe to conserve energy to become a force in the second half of games. It will also allow them to do away with the weak version of the triangle offense that they used last year.

L.A.'s ceiling is pretty damn high. Way higher than the Spurs' ceiling, tbh.

The two things the Spurs have to hope for are:

1. The Lakers don't blend well. Maybe Kobe bristles at not being able to dominate the ball. Maybe Bynum won't want to expend the energy it takes to be a pick-and-roll bigman.

2. Mike Brown might run the team into the ground in the regular season. Brown played Kobe way too much last year ... and Bynum too for that matter. If Brown doesn't conserve Nash, Nash could easily break down.

To go along with No. 2, Nash is pretty damn old. Add to that the fact that he's leaving Phoenix's legendary training staff and I have my doubts he can stay healthy and playing at a high level.

But if he does, they could become a monster.
    So what's their ceiling? Ensure LeBron gets better ratings when he repeats?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that's ed they got a baller of Nash's capabilities without getting rid of one of their bigs, d'oh!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers were a pretender last year. With Nash, they're legit again. . .as long as Kobe doesn't ball hog like he always does.

Steve Nash
    Kobe Bryant
    Ron Artest
    Pau Gasol
    Andrew Bynum

garbage ass bench. . .but it doesn't matter with that starting 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid pickup for the Lakers.

Thread Information