Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Throw the whole MLE at Kirilenko (4 years, but year 4 partially guaranteed)
    2) Offer Diaw a full BAE contract ($4M/2 years), with a player option on the 2nd year, and a promise of an offer of the full MLE (from Early Bird Rights) with at least 2 guaranteed years if he opts out. If this promise is legal,
    And when both players say no?

btw- that promise is very much against the rules. Read up on what happened to Minnesota in the Joe Smith case.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) lol

2) Illegal contract.

3) lol

4)

People tend to see these moves in a vacuum and forget that trades are possible for the next seven months or whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less than 1M. You can't combine dollars from the two exceptions to sign one player.

2yrs/4M was the absolute max the Spurs could offer Lorbek once the bulk of the MLE was used for Diaw
    No chance, then. Zero.
    Double salary, half the games. And you are in Barcelona.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What else would you have them do?
    green 3 M/ 3 years. Absolute max 3.5.

The Spurs system is so perfect that I feel there are a lot of Greens out there to be picked up for cheap.
    De Colo for the minimum, or bye.
    Mills, absolutely yes.
    Lorbek Diaw, is tough. Lorbek probably has a higher ceiling, but he was a higher risk, also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That really changes nothing.

De Colo for the minimum, or bye.
    OK, spend that money on what?

Lorbek Diaw, is tough. Lorbek probably has a higher ceiling, but he was a higher risk, also.
    True enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green signed for 3.76. I doubt that extra $26,000 changes anything.

The Spurs system is so perfect that I feel there are a lot of Greens out there to be picked up for cheap.
    Have you forgotten how many D-League scrubs the Spurs have gone through over the years? Dozens. Green is the first one that stuck. To say the Spurs could simply go find another Green ignores the fact that it took a loooooooooong time to find one D-Leaguer that was good enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    De Colo looks like a less athletic, but more under control, version of Manu to me.

Manu attempted some BONEHEADED plays in the playoffs that cost us. He needs to understand that otherworldly passes mean nothing if the recipient is incapable of handling them. If you watched and think back now, how many times did you just want to STRANGLE Manu against OKC?

(and I realize he had two great plays taken away due to bad/bogust calls in game 6, but I am talking about a large volume of other bad turnovers he caused)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ manu replacement!!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ manu replacement!!!!

Not hardly. More of a natural 1 guard than Manu. Will be able to play some two, but not ever at the level of prime Manu on either side of the ball.

In his prime, Manu could go toe to toe with any SG in the league. Saying De Colo could do that is ridiculous.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And when both players say no?

btw- that promise is very much against the rules. Read up on what happened to Minnesota in the Joe Smith case.

1) lol

2) Illegal contract.

3) lol

4)

People tend to see these moves in a vacuum and forget that trades are possible for the next seven months or whatever.
    It's quite possible Kirilenko says no. But we didn't try. That's a bad sign...
    If Kirilenko says no, then you're back where we currently are, and maybe your offer the current contract to Diaw - it's not a bad contract in a vacuum - I just think there was opportunity here.

Regarding the illegal contract, I'll just say that I'm pretty sure we've made arrangements like this before - see the ridiculous case of one Richard Jefferson opting out and re-signing...

Both of you are sitting there all cushy. Straight question. Do you think the guards are the weak link in the current set up. Is that where we should be prioritizing our effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he any good?

Starter
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My inside source just informed me de Colo or mills haven't signed anything yet. They are still in meetings about it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no he sucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kirilenko says no, then you're back where we currently are...
    http://fromrussiawithdunk.com/2012/0...h-cska-moscow/

http://www.eurohoops.net/2012/07/dunks/7100

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kirilenko says no, then you're back where we currently are, and maybe your offer the current contract to Diaw - it's not a bad contract in a vacuum - I just think there was opportunity here.
    Kirilenko to San Antonio for the MLE is an absurd pipedream. Pursuing that pipedream could well have cost them Diaw.

Regarding the illegal contract, I'll just say that I'm pretty sure we've made arrangements like this before - see the ridiculous case of one Richard Jefferson opting out and re-signing...
    The scenario you described is illegal under the CBA. Period.

Both of you are sitting there all cushy. Straight question. Do you think the guards are the weak link in the current set up. Is that where we should be prioritizing our effort.

I have no idea what that means and I didn't say anything to suggest that I agree with what follows. You can take that question up with someone who took such a position.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs must be pretty high on De Colo. $2.8 million is a lot of money for someone who is relatively unproven. To compare, that's as much guaranteed money as the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

I'm not sure if the Spurs view him as a backup point guard or a backup shooting guard but it's clear they like him. You don't give $2.8 million and use your BAE (which means they won't be able to use it next summer) on someone you don't expect to contribute.

Now that I think about it, did the Spurs troll Barcelona? By raising Lorbek's stock, Barcelona had to pay more money to keep him. That means they didn't have as much money to steal De Colo. Hmmmm...
    I'm a little surprised by the money, but I still think they view him as the fifth guard. Depth is crucial at all positions on this team though, given that only one player averages at or in excess of 30 mpg. You think about the back court specifically: Parker and Ginobili will be coming off of playing into June and playing in the Olympics, they're now both in their 30's, Ginobili is all but guaranteed to suffer at least one injury during the season and the likely primary backup point, Mills, has not proven unequivocally that he can fill that role period, let alone for a championship contender. So they need insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have 4 PG's, perhaps they will move TP !? Or Corey goes to Austin until the rookie contract expires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess he's really good since he got 2x as much as Neal, but Mills is good too, neither is a third stringer PG type of player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he signs anywhere for the MLE, you'll have a point.

I'm not saying wink-wink deals don't happen. I'm saying what you proposed is illegal.

Both of you are sitting there all cushy.
    It's a nice chair.

Straight question. Do you think the guards are the weak link in the current set up. Is that where we should be prioritizing our effort.
    Obviously the priority was securing Diaw, who drew interest from several teams. You can think that the Spurs are done for the entire year, I choose not to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green signed for 3.76. I doubt that extra $26,000 changes anything.

I thought 12 M 3 years.

Have you forgotten how many D-League scrubs the Spurs have gone through over the years? Dozens. Green is the first one that stuck. To say the Spurs could simply go find another Green ignores the fact that it took a loooooooooong time to find one D-Leaguer that was good enough.
    I doubt you find good players in the D-league.
    Nobody would believe Green would have been ready for the NBA over several Euroleague players, last December. Including Pop, according to "we didn't even know whether he could make the team" statement.
    I like Green, from the very start of the season and the bad OKC series has no part in my judgement.
    I know other teams are throwing money randomly to mediocre players, and you can make a case green is cheaper than X, but still he comes at a higher price than I thought.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, lets read some
    "his immense success with Moscow probably led him to reconsider returning to the NBA.

In Utah, Kirilenko had fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, and it seemed as if his playing days were done. However, his sudden resurgence in Moscow put him back on the radar, as he won both the Euroleague MVP and the Russian league championship last season."

Yep, he'd be playing for us and would have a good shot at the starting job.

"he would have been too expensive for the Nets to afford right now"

Yep, all the Nets could currently offer him is the vet min - something on the order of $1 Million for 1 year. He's currently making 3M euros a year (post taxe) in Russia for 2 more seasons. Which is to say he is making MLE money. We offer him 3 years and partially guaranteed 4th, he'll think hard about it.

"Many NBA teams courted him, with three of them offering him very good contracts in order to lure him back in the States. "

I'd like to know who offered what. I'm pretty sure that a real chance to ring would interest him greatly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have 4 PG's, perhaps they will move TP !? Or Corey goes to Austin until the rookie contract expires.
    no they won't move TP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt you find good players in the D-league.
    Two or three are found pretty much every season. Sure, you have to pick the right ones -- but they are there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two or three are found pretty much every season. Sure, you have to pick the right ones -- but they are there.
    No doubt, but even then, I doubt they will be tested the way Euroleague players are tested in some of the arenas here. Battle tested, literally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt, but even then, I doubt they will be tested the way Euroleague players are tested in some of the arenas here. Battle tested, literally.
    Eh, a good number of players from there flame out in the NBA rather famously too.

Thread Information